shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricier Beverly K Semi-Mount or Affordable Real Vintage?

bianka

Rough_Rock
Another silly newbie question but I hope everyone will be patient.

I fell in love with this Beverly K ring at Greenwich Jewelers on first sight and when I tried it on it the store, it was better than I thought it would be. It just suits me so well and while the tourmaline won't work for everyday wear, I was ready to have it set with a more-durable tsavorite. The disappointment was in the cost: $2800 for the setting in platinum alone. It's in budget but just seemed too high....
http://greenwich.blob.core.windows.net/images/products/2c03934a0d0a4323b685cf7f2edf078d/image

So I've been looking for an alternative. Nothing has quite caught my eye the same way but when I look at vintage art deco / nouveau settings it seems hard to justify the cost of a reproduction. For instance, this platinum ring is less than $1000: http://www.rubylane.com/item/599172-11618x20Diamondx20Alex78andrite/Vintage-Estate-Diamond-Cats-Eye
So is there any compelling reason not to just buy this vintage ring or something similar and have a tsav set in it? Is there anything inherently superior or inferior about buying a new, designer platinum mounting?

Thanks in advance.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
IN this case the vintage looks like it's in good shape and I think it's prettier so why not. Also that price for Beverly K is really high, did you call Pearlmans to get their price (make sure you tell them where you heard about them from).

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would personally go for affordable real vintage and have your stone set in it. It's "green" (and not in a tsav kind of way), it's cheaper (leaving more money for other bling!), and can be a little more...interesting? There are probably pitfalls (as I'm a relative newbie myself) that I'm not thinking of, but I'm sure others will chime in on that, if that's the case. Very nice choice(s)!

bianka

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, thank you for the suggestion. I haven't called Pearlman's --somehow I thought all of the pricing would be similar for every retailer; silly-- and will do that today, thank you.

NKOTB: I really love the reuse/recycle nature of leveraging a vintage setting. I guess I'm just a little intimidated by doing a project 'alone' and having to source the stone and find someone to set it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the vintage piece because it has charm and for some reason the Beverly K piece looks too blah to me. I love vintage jewelry, so if its lesser in price than the newer piece, that's doubly good!

bianka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, TL. Having read way too many of your posts I really respect your opinion (and your baubles!).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That vintage would be an excellent purchase; inexpensive for platinum, looks to be in good condition and something a little different from the ordinary. I did not check out their return & shipping policy but it would be great to inspect it up close.

bianka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chrono! I've thought about it and I think I will pursue vintage options--but I've decided I'm not in love with this ring fully. I'm not comfortable with the vendor (a pawn shop), their 3 day return policy, the light weight of ring (2.6 grams?!) or the small stone size (.5 carats) and what appears to be some damage on the back of the ring. It seems close but not quite there and I think some more eBay obsessing will yield something interesting. Thanks, everyone. The search continues.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results