shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on low end sapphires, please!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I am interested in buying a sapphire for a RHR. My main criteria would be that it is truly blue, not black. I tend to like the lighter blue sapphires better. The light blue 'Ceylon'-- a light slightly greyish blue, but I wouldn't mind a royal blue--if it was truly blue and had some transparency.
I am not sure what I will end up doing, but one of the things I am considering is setting a sapphire in a setting I already have. the ring needs to be set with a heart-shaped stone measuring about 5 mm. I have seen some heart shaped sapphires on simplysapphires.com that look interesting. I know they are not high end at all, but might they be pretty in a simple YG setting?

http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/blue3.html

Thanks for any replies.

P.S. I would like to spend no more than $150-200, so I don't think a cert is possible.
I also have a ring that would fit a 5.5 mm round. If I decide to have a ring made also (I'd rather not at this point), I like marquises and pears also. I don't like square shapes very much.
I hope this is not too confusing. I am not set on anything yet, I am just scoping things out.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think that ebay stone will be very very dark/black: note the lighting to show it at its best.......very bright from the back? however, it does seem appropriately priced.

the lighter you go, the less expensive. trying for any of the "classic" blue sapphires in this price range will be difficult at best. there are probably stones out there but they might be smaller than you have specified.

gene at precisiongem.com has a little montana cutie for a bit more than your budget but also a bit larger: Gem 1272 - Montana Sapphire.

lots going on in that one.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Did you check multiclour.com? I bought a 5.5mm-ish round from them in this price range and it is quite a nice royal blue, heat only. that was 2 years ago so prices may have gone up, but worth a look. you can use their search to sort by type, size, price, etc to see if they have what you're looking for. do note that their standard shipping can take quite some time so its not exactly instant gratification.

here's the thread on my stone, which i ultimately set in a simple LOGR halo https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blue-with-envy-opinions-please.139451/

hope this helps?

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, everyone!
The links are interesting. I looked at the first two and I will check multicolor.com. ARe they friendly if you phone them--and is it expensive to phone them?
What color should I look for if I wish to have a lighter blue? And I really don't want bigger than 5.5 mm as it won't fit into either of my settings if it is larger.
Thanks again.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't speak with multicolour.com (that's the proper spelling i think, sorry for the errors above) on the phone but I did correspond via email and they were extremely helpful and friendly. I'm in the US and I assume it would be quite expensive to talk to them on the phone (not to mention inconvenient due to the time difference). I've bought from them several times, never anything very expensive, but I've been very happy with what I received in terms of accuracy of description and value for my $, especially as these aren't precision cut stones.
I don't have much to suggest re: lighter colors other than looking at montana sapphires or just keep hunting. I would guess that it may be a challenge to find something in this size in a nice color & cut for your budget, so you may need to bend on one of those factors in order to use your current mounting. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results