shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby Newbie, GIA Questions

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
I am considering buying my first gemstone and I am completely lost. The ruby I am considering was graded by GIA and the clarity was graded as Transparent. Where does transparent fit on the clarity grading scale? I looked on the GIA website, but couldn't find the info.

Why doesn't GIA use the clarity grading system for gemstones as they do with diamonds?

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
84 views and 0 responses. I'm not sure if I asked a silly question and the forum is just being polite, or what. Please don't be gentle with me, embarrass me. I am pretty clueless when it comes to gemstones. I need to learn.

Second question. I do plan to send this ruby to AGL for a prestige report. GIA couldn't pinpoint an exact origin location, but gave a generalize geographic location. Does AGL typically have a better track record for this type of thing? If GIA couldn't determine an exact location origin what are the odds AGL can?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I will write a simple explanation. There are three categories that explain light passing through the stone.
a. opaque--solid--no light passing thru.
b.translucent-- some light passing thru.
c.transparent- you can see through the stone. Ruby would be best if transparent.

I think origin is hard to determine. Some origins obviously are worth more, for example Mokok in Burma. I don't know who is better at determining origin. Sorry.

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1331004171|3141531 said:
I am considering buying my first gemstone and I am completely lost. The ruby I am considering was graded by GIA and the clarity was graded as Transparent. Where does transparent fit on the clarity grading scale? I looked on the GIA website, but couldn't find the info.

Why doesn't GIA use the clarity grading system for gemstones as they do with diamonds?

Sending a colored gem like a ruby to GIA is not as thorough as a full AGL prestige report. Email AGL with your questions before you send it out.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1331004171|3141531 said:

Because they are not the same animals! Coloured gemstones are assessed differently. With coloured gemstones you have Type 1, Type 2, Type 3. Gemstones are grouped according to whether they are normally eye clean, lightly included or heavily included (that's very liberal use of the terminology but it gives you the idea). So, for example, if a stone is a type 1 and therefore usually inclusion free, it's clarity would be assessed accordingly. If it were a type 2 and normally you'd see inclusions but the one you have is inclusion free it would get a better clarity rating.

GIA are the best for diamonds but honestly not brilliant with coloured gemstones. If you look here, there's a tutorial on their coloured gemstone grading reports http://www.gia.edu/image_resources/flash/Colored-Stone-Identification-Reports.swf

Here's a link to AGL that may help too http://www.aglgemlab.com/services/Prestige.aspx

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
TL - Thank you, I did send AGL an email regarding the origin and if they could possibly tell when GIA couldn't. I'll follow up with their response.

LD - Thank you for the explanation. I guess my frustrations come from being a "diamond guy" and as you know GIA's grading of diamonds is very specific. Their gemstone grading, not so much. For instance where does translucent end and transparent start? Color saturation? Cut/Symmetry grade?

AGL does seem to offer number scale grading, which I like.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA will only offer their opinion on the hue, clarity grading and treatment, and nothing more. There will be no grading of saturation, tone, cut and etc. AGL will provide more information in their Prestige report.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Basically you need to forget everything you know about diamonds, coloured stones are a totally different ballgame.

First, gemstones are graded for clarity with the naked eye at a distance of 12 inches - eyeclean is what you should aim for.

Second, you will not get the details on cut that you will with a diamond. You need to look at each individual stone and assess it with the eye not by numbers.

Third, diamonds are incredibly common, they are produced by the ton every year. Coloured stones are much rarer and some are incredibly rare - fine rubies for one. A fine ruby will be a lot more expensive than a white diamond of the same weight.

As they are rarer, there are very few species where you can buy a stone 'off the shelf': blue topaz - yes, blue sapphire - of a particular colour, shape and size... definitely not!

Lab reports will only give you so much information. AGL gives more than most. Sometimes things like origin cannot be determined. Sometimes labs will also disagree with each other. A report is only an opinion, it is not a guarantee.

Btw, where are the pictures? We need pictures - especially of rubies! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results