shape
carat
color
clarity

What length pearls do you wear the most?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pearl friends!

I have been thinking of getting a strand of nicer-grade white freshwater pearls. I currently own an 18 inch akoya strand, a 17 inch blue baroque akoya strand, and an 18 inch lavender metallic freshwater strand. I also have a couple ropes, a 100 inch freshwater that I have yet to wear, and a 50 some inch tangerine rice pearl strand from Kojima. If I were looking for a longer strand but not a rope, what length do you think would be most handy/versatile to own?

Thanks so much!

ErinL

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
This is about what you would like to wear and your personal style. Are there outfits that you own that don't look right with your shorter stands, or with your longer strands? How big are your neck and chest? Do you want something to hit above your cleavage, or would it tend to slip under lower necklines that you own? What colors look good on you?

I have a pink pearl strand that is about 25 inches that I wear with some higher necked brown sweaters that I own. It has a mix of 14 mm flat keishi pearls in it, and has a nice presence. My favorite strand length is 20 inches, but part of this is my age. 18 inch smaller pearl strands look too young on me. My 20 inch Tahitian necklace is a very useful piece. It began as an 18 inch silver Tahitian strand from Kojima Pearls and I had Sarah add several pearls. It is beautiful and a wonderful piece that I enjoy wearing.

Frankly, I like to wearing my pearl pendants best of all for everyday. My personal style is on the casual side, and my pendants are lighter and more casual than a full strand of pearls.

Have fun shopping! :wavey:

Nocciolata

Rough_Rock
Fun question! I'm in the process of planning my dream pearl wardrobe, so I hope your question picks up a lot of replies. What's your style? What kinds of necklines flatter you the most?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Many of my strands hit my neck about the same place although the length of the strands are different. I have decided I like my strands a little longer than I used to. My pal 4 Ranch Girl said she liked to be able to see her strands when she looked down. I lengthened one of my Tahitian strands and decided I like it too. Prior to that they sat just below my collar bones.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have couple of shorter strands but my 18" gets the most wear so far. My office is fairly conservative so no low cut tops and I like where 18" hits with most of my shirts. I have tried on longer strands recently on suggestion of ladies of the pearl forum :)) and decided to buy a 22" for those outfits where 18" doesn't work as well.

Why don't you wear your 100"? I think it'll look amazing layered twice.

eloisegirl

Shiny_Rock
I like a longer strand, 22" or 24" because I also like to look at my pearls. I've got a 32" strand as well. I think I'm moving into that crazy older stage where I just wear strands of pearls layered together. It's a look!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my strands are about 19-24 or 25 inches. i'm in the market for a longer one...perhaps at least a 32 inch.

i've taken some of my catherine strands and worn them layered together and i've also worn them woven together....love the look but then i'm one of the older participants on pricescope.....

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
I just got a 25 inch strand and it's great because I can wear it over a turtleneck and it still hangs down where I can see it. The 18 inch goes well with my scoop neck shirts. I don't wear my 16 inch very often, but that might be because they are white and I only wear them on more "dressy" occasions. Seems like the answer is to get as many different lengths as you can. :halo:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
mynattk|1329328368|3126740 said:
........Seems like the answer is to get as many different lengths as you can. :halo:

amen, sister!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1329361364|3127134 said:
mynattk|1329328368|3126740 said:
........Seems like the answer is to get as many different lengths as you can. :halo:

amen, sister!
My sentiments exactly :mrgreen:

I have spent the last several days trying to figure out how to answer this question. It got me thinking.... I really like to look at my pearls when I wear them so most of them are over 20 inches all the way up to several 100 inch strands. Most of my pendant chains are 20 to 24 inces long too. I stopped counting my strands when I reached 40 and said oh well, but out of that number there are less than 10 that are 18 inches long. So I guess I can't say what length I like most but I can say I do not have/wear any less than 18 inches.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the replies and advice! I really don't know what you would call my personal style-kind of a hodgepodge! I am thinking longer than 18 inches, but still above my bustline, which I guess would be anywhere between 22-26 inches? I am kind of short in that area, I often have to take shoulders up in dresses so that scoop and v necks aren't too revealing.... I would love to see some of those longer strands you are talking about!

Baby monster-- I pulled out the 100 inch and doubled it over and put it on with a Rachel Roy shirtdress I have for Easter. It is actually perfect. I was a little disappointed with the strand when i got it because the pearls are pretty unmatched and it doesn't hang straight, but that is actually goes with the style of this particular dress-- so thanks for the nudge!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's what we're here for - enabling and helpful suggestions :wavey:

Any pics of your 100" strand?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Baby monster:

I have to take pictures of all my pearls--I haven't posted any yet. I love your new 22 inch strand!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I'm into 16 inch in everything right now, chains and pearls. I mostly bought the 18 inch length in the past when I was purchasing pearls but I think because I'm sort of narrow and small framed, and smaller busted, that the shorter length suits me. With pendants I also find I'm wearing my 16 inch chains more ( I'm crazy for pendants ). But I have a thicker 24 inch chain that I often wear.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great question. The thing with pearls is that I can't get enough. I'll have to get around to posting my strands some time.

But in answering the question, now I think I want a really long strand of baroque tahitians. One long enough to triple and wear short or double in two different lengths. I'll make my own style... :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, let me change that. I don't think I want, I know I want one.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have pearls of different lengths and I prefer my longer strand (100 ") worn different ways. However before these last few years I would have said my 16 inch strand as I love things closer to my neck- most flattering for me I think. And works best with the neckline of my clothes. Lately though I love wearing my longer strands knotted or doubled up etc.

Enjoy shopping for them!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Mine are 18"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results