carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1330373896|3135784 said:
Imdanny|1330371371|3135758 said:
BTW, I never tire of seeing the tiara with sapphires, so if you have a good picture of it please feel free to post it again.

Hi, Danny! I didn't know which of these photos would end up being better. The larger one looked darker, so I thought I'd post them both. Perhaps someone else has an even better shot of the tiara! Thanks for your posting, I hope it brings forth some interesting information on jewels!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Hi, Deb! Thank you! I love the top one. I made it my desktop. I think this is neo-Gothic. And I think it is my favorite style in all the world. What an exquisite thing this tiara. :love:

Danny

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1330387903|3135967 said:
Danny, because you said that you can't get enoug of Queen Victoria's sapphire tiara, here you can see two photos from it's latest outing.

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/queen_victoria_s_tiara_turns_up_in_a_highgate_home_1_1186490

Bobby

Bobby, wow! That's amazing! I didn't know it was so small! And that man is actually holding it in his hand. :o

Thank you so much for the commentary and links! I didn't know that Prince Albert designed so many pieces. Incredible. :))

Danny

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It is one of the most beautiful tiaras I ever saw too, Danny. I've always loved its small size, kind of pint-sized perfection. The sapphires are also so well matched & gorgeous color. Albert was a gifted jewelry designer, though I do find the pebble & teeth stuff creepy as heck.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1330473442|3136763 said:
Bobby, wow! That's amazing! I didn't know it was so small! And that man is actually holding it in his hand. :o

Thank you so much for the commentary and links! I didn't know that Prince Albert designed so many pieces. Incredible. :))

Danny

No troubles, Danny! It was a pleasure :)
Ohh yes, he is! And I envy him very much for all the opportunities Mr Munn's had to hold magnifiscent (royal) jewels in his hands!
By the way, I forgot to mention (or didn't see the need then) that the tiara is shown in it's closed, coronet-like, state, like Queen Victoria wore it in the famous Winterhalter. Deborah's photos show the opened (tiara-like) version of the jewel.

Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Bobby! That does explain a lot. :)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1330520421|3137196 said:
It is one of the most beautiful tiaras I ever saw too, Danny. I've always loved its small size, kind of pint-sized perfection. The sapphires are also so well matched & gorgeous color. Albert was a gifted jewelry designer, though I do find the pebble & teeth stuff creepy as heck.

--- Laurie

I agree with you, Laurie. I need to contemplate that stuff awhile but people in the Victorian era had very different sensibilities about things like stuffed animal displays and some of it seems creepy to me too.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1330558920|3137770 said:
By the way, I forgot to mention (or didn't see the need then) that the tiara is shown in it's closed, coronet-like, state, like Queen Victoria wore it in the famous Winterhalter. Deborah's photos show the opened (tiara-like) version of the jewel.

Please tell me more, Bobby. How was the tiara converted to the coronet and the coronet converted to the tiara?

Deb/AGBF

TheCoronetVersion.jpg

Queen_Victorias_Gothic_Sapphire.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Deb, Bobby probably knows in detail, but it must have some sort of closure or clasp thingy & be flexible enough to bend so it can be worn either way. I'd think, anyway. I'm willing to go to the trouble of examining it in person to answer your question any time.

--- Laurie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1330563041|3137826 said:
Deb, Bobby probably knows in detail, but it must have some sort of closure or clasp thingy & be flexible enough to bend so it can be worn either way. I'd think, anyway. I'm willing to go to the trouble of examining it in person to answer your question any time.

JewelFreak- You are a true friend. I won't forget this. If you are ever in need, feel free to call upon me!

Deborah/AGBF :saint:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I know, Deb. Everybody tells me how selfless I am; it's truly humbling. Always happy to help where I can.

--- Laurie

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Ladies, Gentlemen and Noble Peers :D

I have bought "The Crown Jewels" by Anna Keay. :love: Wonderful book! Loads of incredible pictures.

Already discovered that the Crown of Princess Blanche (first picture below) that went to Germany as part of her dowery in c.1401 was not the only English crown to do so and so there are other early English crown to have survived by going over seas. the Crown of Margaret of York went to Europe as part of a dowery in c.1468.

paletinecrown.jpg

The Crown of Margaret of York - only 5in in diameter:
margaret%20of%20york.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want one! I love those little ones, the little "coronets"! I think they are so much prettier than the big crowns! Now I could see wearing one of those!!! Thank you for posting, Neil!

Deb

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Neil, gorgeous. Thanks! I love all the old stuff (technical term :bigsmile: ). I believe the first one is very famous and I haven't seen the second one- wonderful.

Deb, I believe the thing in my avatar is an earl's coronet (and I also believe we all know that already- sorry to repeat myself if any of you have heard that before). I'll tell you my story about how I finally realized I really love gold the best of precious metals.

There's a scene in Katherine Hepburn's "The Lion In Winter" where she's sitting at a dressing table and talking to a gold crown while holding it in her hands while she talks about the complications of family life or something. Just the simplicity of that concept "gold crown" and the beauty of the one she has in that scene totally won me over.

Oh dear me, I'm babbling! I'm just so happy (I got my car yesterday- my "horseless carriage"- I'm so thrilled!). And I love every post in thread but I have to admit I have a soft spot for gold headpieces with or without gems.

Danny

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1330561017|3137802 said:
prince.of.preslav|1330558920|3137770 said:

Please tell me more, Bobby. How was the tiara converted to the coronet and the coronet converted to the tiara?

Deb/AGBF

Hi, Deb! What an interesting question and one that's always been intriguing me.
I would think that there are small hinges at the back of the tiara, which allows it to be worn as a tight circlet or a wider tiara. Unfortunately, there aren't any photos of the tiara taken from the back (to my knowledge, that is), so it's imposible to tell for sure. I'm assuming this, however, because this is how another famous sapphire tiara - from the Leuchtenberg parure - is made. In it, though, the hignes are visible.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
In this close-up of the tiara, it's visible that it's composed of small panels. It is my assumpion that the different panels are joined by small hinges at the back. I also think there there is a small clasp of some sort to secure/hold (or whatever you might want to call it) the circlet.
By the way, I've always been surprised that tiara doesn't have a base, like (virtually) all other tiaras.Wonder how it's held in place on one's head...

sapphiretiara-cup.jpg

Bobby

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since we are talking coronets, here is Charles's, Prince of Wales, coronet.

The Prince of Wales coronet is part of the Honours of Wales and Prince Charles received it when he was invested as such by his mother in 1969 (he had received the title as a young boy, but was invested just a little before his 21st birthday). It is a very modern piece, made for the occasion by a committee lead by Lord Snowdon, who oversaw the entire ceremony. He aimed for a modern look, to avoid the appearance of a fusty, old fashioned monarchy. The ceremony, for example, was conducted under a plastic canopy (back when plastic was space age, not just cheap).

The coronet as 2 half arches (the monarch's crown has 4) and a very sleek, modern look to it, with just a few emeralds and diamonds. It is solid 24k gold, with the arches and fleur de lys made from Welsh gold. The making of it is also particularly interesting - it was made by electroforming, where a current runs through an electrolytic solution and deposits the metal on a mold or a model.

It is a pity it hasn't been worn since then, although I can quite understand why. I think it is a wonderful contrast to the traditional pieces.

But why did Charles need a new coronet? First of all, the investiture ceremony had died for many centuries, being revived for Edward VIII as a young boy, with a little coronet specially made for him. Even if a boy's coronet would have fitted a young man, there was another problem. Edward took that coronet with him when he abdicated! Even though it was part of the Crown Jewels, it seems that everyone decided it was better to keep quiet and just let it go. Having a former king arrested for theft would have done the monarchy no good.

Picture-49.png

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A few more pictures. PS won't allow me to upload a shot of Prince Charles wearing the coronet, but here is a view of the ceremony (and the plastic canopy). Also, a picture of Edward VIII on his investiture - he doesn't look very happy.

3425769874_556407cf1f.jpg

Picture-1211.png

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, it loaded! Here is Charles in all his finery. I do wish the coronet sat higher on his head, instead of nearly on eyebrows.

Picture-78 (640x479).jpg

jean95404

Rough_Rock
With regard to the Prince of Wales crown(s): Does anyone know what happened to Edward's crown? Was it included in the Windsor jewelry sale, melted down to make something for Wallis perhaps? The crown for the current Prince of Wales probably should have some major, serious remodeling before it is ever given to William (if indeed that happens). It is one ugly, starship galactic looking thing. Especially with the solar system thing going on on the very top. Wonder if those little bits twirl in the breeze?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was returned to the Crown after his death and it is now, I believe, in the Tower of London.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I wonder too why they resurrected that ceremony, especially as carried out. I'm sorry, that coronet is the silliest, most hilarious thing I ever saw -- makes me think Snowden had it in for Charles. It looks like an escapee from the old tv program Lost in Space. I'm too lazy to look it up, but seem to remember poor Charles clad in tights, right? The 60s were crazed times, but I think the RF got caught in a breeze from Haight-Ashbury! I read that he was miserably embarrassed, with good cause.

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I saw that in person as anyone can. I didn't like it any better than in pictures.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nope, Charles was in his Navy uniform. Edward VIII was the one who had to wear white satin tights :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1330722141|3139442 said:
Ok, it loaded! Here is Charles in all his finery. I do wish the coronet sat higher on his head, instead of nearly on eyebrows.

Here is a video of Prince Charles' investiture as Prince of Wales to go with the photograph. I must say that although Edward VIII did not look happy at his investiture, that he did look very handsome and that his coronet was a thousand times lovelier than the one Charles wore! Ermine became him, too. It's too bad he grew up to have Nazi symapthies and other questionable opinions and values!!! He looked quite nice on the outside!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbXo73e1kV0&feature=related

Deb/AGBF

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
jean95404|1330727810|3139506 said:
With regard to the Prince of Wales crown(s): Does anyone know what happened to Edward's crown? Was it included in the Windsor jewelry sale, melted down to make something for Wallis perhaps? The crown for the current Prince of Wales probably should have some major, serious remodeling before it is ever given to William (if indeed that happens). It is one ugly, starship galactic looking thing. Especially with the solar system thing going on on the very top. Wonder if those little bits twirl in the breeze?

I don't know what happened to the coronet that Edward woreat his investiture, but it certainly isn't the one that he took with him to France. What The Duke of Windsor smuggled out of Britain was in fact the coronet that had been made for and worn by his father, King George V. The then Prince of Wales (David) wore this coronet at the Coronation of his parents in 1911.
Here's how it looks:
CoronetnPoW.jpg

I'm sure that the former King had far greater respect for the Regalia than what your post suggests.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Do you remeber owr mini discussion about the Countess of Wessex's medal at the banquet in Barbados? Some suggested that it might be the Diamond Jubilee Medal and it seemed a most logical choice. Now, however, having seen a very nice photo of the medal, I'm not that sure. Obviously the colours are (almost) the same, but it's their proportion that puzzles me. May this be beacause of the poor quality of Sophie's photo?
The Countess - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/25/article-0-11E5E4CD000005DC-130_634x822.jpg
Her nephew - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...morning-prayer-at-christ-news-photo/140652941

I'd love to see some responses...

Фдффщ

jean95404

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1331075259|3142220 said:
jean95404|1330727810|3139506 said:

I don't know what happened to the coronet that Edward woreat his investiture, but it certainly isn't the one that he took with him to France. What The Duke of Windsor smuggled out of Britain was in fact the coronet that had been made for and worn by his father, King George V. The then Prince of Wales (David) wore this coronet at the Coronation of his parents in 1911.
Here's how it looks:
CoronetnPoW.jpg

I'm sure that the former King had far greater respect for the Regalia than what your post suggests.

Bobby

The remark about melting it down was not meant in disrespect. I had read in a couple of books that the Duke actually did have some jewelry dismantled and the metals melted down to create new pieces for Duchess resetting the old and some specially purchased stones. The cornonet that was used by the Duke's father and subsequently at his own investiture. He illegally took it when he left England into exile. I have wondered in the last couple of days as to why he would do that. Curious.

WithinDemise

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1331077049|3142244 said:
Do you remeber owr mini discussion about the Countess of Wessex's medal at the banquet in Barbados? Some suggested that it might be the Diamond Jubilee Medal and it seemed a most logical choice. Now, however, having seen a very nice photo of the medal, I'm not that sure. Obviously the colours are (almost) the same, but it's their proportion that puzzles me. May this be beacause of the poor quality of Sophie's photo?
The Countess - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/25/article-0-11E5E4CD000005DC-130_634x822.jpg
Her nephew - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...morning-prayer-at-christ-news-photo/140652941

I'd love to see some responses...

Фдффщ

Is it possible there is a female version and a male version, which would explain the differences? Maybe there are similar, but different medals for each tour? I don't know.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
jean95404|1331084302|3142358 said:
The remark about melting it down was not meant in disrespect. I had read in a couple of books that the Duke actually did have some jewelry dismantled and the metals melted down to create new pieces for Duchess resetting the old and some specially purchased stones. The cornonet that was used by the Duke's father and subsequently at his own investiture. He illegally took it when he left England into exile. I have wondered in the last couple of days as to why he would do that. Curious.

But you have to agree with me, Jean, that melting down/dismanteling a piece of jewellery in a style that is no longer en vogue and re-using the metal/stones can not be compared to dismanteling part of the Crown Jewels, to which the coronet belongs, for private use ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
jean95404|1331084302|3142358 said:

I for one think that he took the coronet because of santimental reasons. I believe that HRH liked the time when his father was still on the throne and he, while still POW, was the most popular member of the family.
This is, of course, pure speculation on my part and I think we'll never know the truth. Another question that arises - What was the initial reaction once it was known that the coronet was missing? And why did they not insist on the return of the jewel.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results