shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire E-ring questions

bigfatzombie

Rough_Rock
Hi there I'm sure you have seen many many posts like mine, but I need some help. My boyfriend and I recently started ring shopping. Well, he recently started ring shopping. I've been visiting this site and looking at rings for almost a year now :naughty: But finally it has come for me to get my own engagement ring so I took the big step of making an account :wink2: My boyfriend and I have decided to go through this process together since the last thing he researches or looks at is jewelry. He admits he doesn't really know anything about it, and wants to make sure that I get something I love.

I have never liked plain diamond e-rings and have always been drawn to colored stones. I first thought to get something with emeralds but I thought better of it since I read emeralds do not really have the toughness for everyday wear.
I would love a radiant blueish green sapphire in a white diamond antique or antique-style or even halo setting. It would be more suited for me.

I would love it if it was a color like this:
The_Natural_Sapphire_Company__Unique_Sapphire_Radiant_Unique_U3410.jpg

1: I have read some negative reviews about the Natural Sapphire Co. and I was wondering if anyone has bought from them before and have positive reviews?

2: To find a stone like this, is there another vendor you could recommend?

3: I'm a size 5. Would like to find a stone 2-3 ct. It wouldn't be overwhelming would it? I know sapphire ct. are different than diamond cts since sapphires are heavier.

My boyfriend said I have no budget limit :Up_to_something: but I would like to keep this under 10,000 for the whole ring (but ideally would love to keep it around 7,000 or less, I'm sure he would too secretly)

sapphiregirl123

Rough_Rock
gemfix.com... andrew is awesome and helpful. i really like him and his selection. i am looking to do the same thing and recently purchased a 1.5 ct sapphire... it seems like it may be too much for my finger.. a size 5.5... so it's all about preference. the reason i think mine is too big is bc i think one day, i may want to change it out for the traditional diamond... and in my opinion, the bigger the diamond is not always the better.

bigfatzombie

Rough_Rock
sapphiregirl123|1330308744|3135332 said:
gemfix.com... andrew is awesome and helpful. i really like him and his selection. i am looking to do the same thing and recently purchased a 1.5 ct sapphire... it seems like it may be too much for my finger.. a size 5.5... so it's all about preference. the reason i think mine is too big is bc i think one day, i may want to change it out for the traditional diamond... and in my opinion, the bigger the diamond is not always the better.

Thanks for the link. I love his Montana sapphires

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
So you are looking for a radiant, correct? Would you be okay with an emerald or a cushion cut instead? Oval and cushion are generally the most common cuts you see in sapphires, in my experience. That color (which I think is absolutely lovely) in that size might be a little difficult to find, but certainly not impossible and I think your budget sounds very healthy. The problem I observe mostly with green sapphires is that they tend towards an olive shade, which I don't find as attractive. I think the stone color you have chosen is lovely, though! (I would describe it as a light-medium to medium tone, fairly saturated blueish green).

Stone size is a very personal preference. I have a 1.15 carat sapphire on a size 4 finger, and I think it's perfect... but I am not a huge jewelry person, in general, and I don't find larger stones comfortable to wear all the time. It could be a very worthwhile activity to go out to *gasp* a mall store, and try on some different diamond sizes. Find out what you like the look of, and what you find comfortable, and then use that "face up" size to find your preferred sapphire size. I didn't realize how much I would prefer smaller stones until I got a ring with an 8 mm stone, and it drove me up the wall. :shock: It's worth trying on rings before you make such an important purchase, IMO.

I have NOT purchased from the natural sapphire company, but they are what led me to pricescope. :Up_to_something: I think the main complaints are that they take deceptive photos (and/ or manipulate the photographs to make the stones more attractive than life), and that their prices are far too high. They do have a review period, so you could return the sapphire if it doesn't look like the picture, and if you don't mind spending more than a stone is "worth" (which is highly variable with sapphires), then you might be happy with purchasing from NSC. Since pricescope is a consumer advocacy site, NSC is not highly regarded, for the reasons I mentioned.

As far as other vendors I would recommend, it would be worth a look through the stickied vendor list. A stone that size and color might take a bit of looking to find, and you might want to contact some lapidaries to see if they've got something like that, which is not posted on their website. I suppose I'd suggest simply sapphires or wildfish gems (both are on the vendor list), as they both have a wide variety of sapphires, and they might already have what you are looking for. Jeff White of White's Gems might also have something (you would need to contact him and let him know what you are looking for). You could also check Gene Flanigan of precision gem, I haven't seen anything like what you want, but he might have some rough he hasn't posted.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your search!

bigfatzombie

Rough_Rock
chloeishere|1330313331|3135380 said:
So you are looking for a radiant, correct? Would you be okay with an emerald or a cushion cut instead? Oval and cushion are generally the most common cuts you see in sapphires, in my experience. That color (which I think is absolutely lovely) in that size might be a little difficult to find, but certainly not impossible and I think your budget sounds very healthy. The problem I observe mostly with green sapphires is that they tend towards an olive shade, which I don't find as attractive. I think the stone color you have chosen is lovely, though! (I would describe it as a light-medium to medium tone, fairly saturated blueish green).

Stone size is a very personal preference. I have a 1.15 carat sapphire on a size 4 finger, and I think it's perfect... but I am not a huge jewelry person, in general, and I don't find larger stones comfortable to wear all the time.It could be a very worthwhile activity to go out to *gasp* a mall store, and try on some different diamond sizes. Find out what you like the look of, and what you find comfortable, and then use that "face up" size to find your preferred sapphire size. I didn't realize how much I would prefer smaller stones until I got a ring with an 8 mm stone, and it drove me up the wall. :shock:It's worth trying on rings before you make such an important purchase, IMO.

I have NOT purchased from the natural sapphire company, but they are what led me to pricescope. :Up_to_something: I think the main complaints are that they take deceptive photos (and/ or manipulate the photographs to make the stones more attractive than life), and that their prices are far too high. They do have a review period, so you could return the sapphire if it doesn't look like the picture, and if you don't mind spending more than a stone is "worth" (which is highly variable with sapphires), then you might be happy with purchasing from NSC. Since pricescope is a consumer advocacy site, NSC is not highly regarded, for the reasons I mentioned.

As far as other vendors I would recommend, it would be worth a look through the stickied vendor list. A stone that size and color might take a bit of looking to find, and you might want to contact some lapidaries to see if they've got something like that, which is not posted on their website. I suppose I'd suggest simply sapphires or wildfish gems (both are on the vendor list), as they both have a wide variety of sapphires, and they might already have what you are looking for. Jeff White of White's Gems might also have something (you would need to contact him and let him know what you are looking for). You could also check Gene Flanigan of precision gem, I haven't seen anything like what you want, but he might have some rough he hasn't posted.

Going to a standing store was the first thing we did actually. We went and tried on many. I felt very comfortable with a little over 2ctw ring. I am a huge jewelry person ;))

I agree about the olive tone diamonds too :nono: T
he previous poster posted a vendor and I love their Montana sapphires. I think I'm going to message them to see if they have bigger cts

Thanks so much for your advice!

jenijems1984

Rough_Rock

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I also like Andrew and his wife at Gemfix. They are very easy to deal with and their Montana sapphires are very pretty. I emailed several others (I think maybe Precision Gems was one) and they all were happy to answer my emails, even though nothing came of it in the end. Most people seem to have been in Tuscon, so may have new items or work up soon. You might email a few and ask.

I am still on a stone hunt for my own ring and it's been going on a couple of months now, hopefully ending soonish.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chloeishere|1330313331|3135380 said:

Stone size is a very personal preference. I have a 1.15 carat sapphire on a size 4 finger, and I think it's perfect... but I am not a huge jewelry person, in general, and I don't find larger stones comfortable to wear all the time. It could be a very worthwhile activity to go out to *gasp* a mall store, and try on some different diamond sizes. Find out what you like the look of, and what you find comfortable, and then use that "face up" size to find your preferred sapphire size. I didn't realize how much I would prefer smaller stones until I got a ring with an 8 mm stone, and it drove me up the wall. :shock: It's worth trying on rings before you make such an important purchase, IMO.

I have the same issues with Wildfish for precisely the same reasons you so well described about NSC, and I have heard on several occasions that their stones do not look like the photos, and I think he's overpriced, but then again, others love him. Just wanted to add that.

ETA: That being said, I think most sapphires are overpriced right now. The hype with the Kate/Diana ring is inflating the prices.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be an unheated stone? If not, then your vendor choices will open up greatly.

bigfatzombie

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1330366013|3135683 said:
Does it have to be an unheated stone? If not, then your vendor choices will open up greatly.

I would prefer it to be unheated, but won't mind it too much if it was perfect in every other way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results