shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC bought off of Ebay

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
Hi all.....I am new to pricescope as poster but have lurked for a while. I just bought a 2 carat OEC diamond off of ebay. It is a J color...VS1 or 2 clarity in a fairly simple platinum setting. I paid just under 6000 for it. I plan on taking it to get appraised and assuming it is what is was listed for on ebay.....would you say that was a good price? I do think the pictures were pretty bad in the listing which is why it didnt get much bidding activity but want to make sure I am not missing something. I would have thought it would have gone for more but then again I am clueless on the value of these diamonds. It seems like it's one of those if it seems to good to be true, it probably is sort of situations. Thanks.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
If it's in good shape and the specs are as described (know they often aren't but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad deal) then it's worth at least 11k. OECs are usually lower color than J due to what the mines were producing at the time and while internally clean, the clarity could easily be knocked down for a bearded girdle or chips. Sounds really promising, I'm just managing your expectations that the appraiser could say it's something really different.

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
kelpie|1321474299|3063099 said:
If it's in good shape and the specs are as described (know they often aren't but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad deal) then it's worth at least 11k. OECs are usually lower color than J due to what the mines were producing at the time and while internally clean, the clarity could easily be knocked down for a bearded girdle or chips. Sounds really promising, I'm just managing your expectations that the appraiser could say it's something really different.

You brought up my only concern which is the color. I know that J color diamonds can have a hint of color to them but this may be a bit more than that. I will report back tomorrow. Thanks!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Do share photos or linky! I would love to see.

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
Okay. I have some good news and bad news. The clarity is VVS2 but the color is K.

My original plan was to reset the stone but now I am not sure if I will. The setting is apparently from the 1940's, so not original to the stone but the detail is so nice on it.

I am going to try to post a pic later on tonight so you all can give me some feedback.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see the pictures! Congratulations :appl:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'd love to see it! K isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially in a nice OEC!! I really want to see the setting too!

Kelpie - How do you go about pricing OECs, I mean, just roughly speaking?

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
I am so sorry for not getting the pictures up last night! I will try my hardest tonight. I was going to link the pictures from the ebay listing but they simply don't capture how beautiful the stone is, so I can't do it(not fair to this gorgeous stone!).

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Just for reference, you can find some prices for OEC on this website: http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/

Can you let us know the Ebay seller so we know of one more trusted seller?

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
Here is the ring....I hope it comes up okay.

ring.jpg

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
one more shot....opinions on the setting are welcome!

ring2.jpg

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
Oh wow that is beautiful...... Do you have the link to the ebay listing so we can check it out?

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I love that setting!! The engraving down the shank looks quite crisp and not worn down. Love to see more pics.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1321635399|3064513 said:
Oh, I'd love to see it! K isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially in a nice OEC!! I really want to see the setting too!

Kelpie - How do you go about pricing OECs, I mean, just roughly speaking?
Well it helps that I have a very similar stone appraised last year. I watch a lot of auctions and see where they end and look at prices on old world diamonds and jewels by erica grace. Bling lover, that stone is a total keeper or if you don't like the color I bet you can sell it for more than you paid with a good appraisal.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
If it makes you feel better, I found a DEAL on one that was listed as a K, Vs1 on Ebay and it appraised for over double. Although, I was happy this validated my purchase, it really just increased our insurance policy burden. The appraisal was great to assure I didn't overpay for the stone though.
Also, regarding color, mine appraised at a K/L and I will tell you, it looks SO white to me (especially in it's new setting). The only way it shows color is when I compared it next to my friend's. We were curious b/c neither of us thought the color grading was right. These stones throw all kinds of color around, not just yellows. So its tough to tell the lower grades. These old stones are not for everyone b/c most are in the H-M range. But they really can't be compared to modern standards. They are beautiful in their own right! Hope this helps!

***I just looked at the pics. It's beautiful and I think you got a great deal. :love:

stci

Ideal_Rock
It's a beauty! Please, keep it in this marvelous setting.... so gorgeous! :love:

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the nice comments! Initially, I wasnt sure about the color and actually thought about sending it back(gasp!). I love it now though. I think it took all of 5 minutes for me to fall in love with it. It sparkles like no other diamond I have seen.
I was thinking of putting it into a new setting because the band is somewhat thin(and worn) on the shank. I am a SAHM and want wear the ring daily, and I worry it "tough" enough to handle daily use. Maybe something can be done to rebuild the shank? It is a pretty setting though and I like that it looks almost like a square stone because of the way it is set.
I was thinking about this setting:
http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=3&pID=1031&startRow=18

Not anytime soon because my husband will divorce me if I make another large purchase!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
that's a beauty!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring, and what a great price! My husband has given my the go-ahead for a large OEC and I've been scouring ebay and other sites and haven't come across anything like this. And as others have mentioned, a lot of these older stones are lower in color. And imo yours faces up quite white! Congrats on a wonderful find!

ETA: Could you post a hand shot? Would love to see this on the hand!

PreppyPeppyTiff

Rough_Rock
blinglover78|1321825277|3065722 said:
Thank you all for the nice comments! Initially, I wasnt sure about the color and actually thought about sending it back(gasp!). I love it now though. I think it took all of 5 minutes for me to fall in love with it. It sparkles like no other diamond I have seen.
I was thinking of putting it into a new setting because the band is somewhat thin(and worn) on the shank. I am a SAHM and want wear the ring daily, and I worry it "tough" enough to handle daily use. Maybe something can be done to rebuild the shank? It is a pretty setting though and I like that it looks almost like a square stone because of the way it is set.
http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=3&pID=1031&startRow=18

Not anytime soon because my husband will divorce me if I make another large purchase!

LOVE the ring!!!! I am looking for a similar deal (2ct for under $6k). :appl:
I just wanted to give you a heads up if you haven't been to single stone showroom. I saw that exact setting that you are looking at a few weeks ago. It is beautiful!!!! :love: :love: :love:
The girl that helped me at single stone was Heather. She was very helpful. All the best :wavey:

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the nice compliments. You guys are not going to believe what I did though.
Are you all sitting down?? Here goes.....
I sent it back. I love the size, the color I definitely warmed up to but it was the cut. The center of the stone in certain lighting just looked dark to me. I would compare its sparkle to websites such as Jewels by Erica Grace and the center of the stone just didnt have the depth and sparkle of the stones I saw on there. It seems flat, if that makes sense. Maybe the cut wasnt great. Half of the time I loved the way it looked but the other half, I just noticed how dark the center of the stone was. You can sort of see what I am talking about in the first picture. Although, I would mainly see a dark circle. That one shows a little depth.
It was a fantastic deal, I think. But, ultimately, I didnt think I would be happy with it long term. I toyed with selling it but I wondered if others would notice the same thing. After sending it off I wondered if the setting was preventing it from sparkling more.
I stood at the post office going back and forth on keeping it but the reasons were all wrong. I wasnt going to hold on to it for the chance I could make some money off of it. It seemed like too much of a gamble and I was running out of time to return it.
I want a stone I love that I don't go back and forth on loving. I plan on wearing it for a very long time so I think I made the right decision.
My hunt continues.

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
PreppyPeppyTiff|1322430828|3069625 said:
blinglover78|1321825277|3065722 said:

LOVE the ring!!!! I am looking for a similar deal (2ct for under $6k). :appl:
I just wanted to give you a heads up if you haven't been to single stone showroom. I saw that exact setting that you are looking at a few weeks ago. It is beautiful!!!! :love: :love: :love:
The girl that helped me at single stone was Heather. She was very helpful. All the best :wavey:

Thank you for the kind words. I still love this setting. Do you remember how much it was?

Tahneebrown

Rough_Rock
Hi there blinglover, just curious, did u get this ring from jamaicapawn?? I just made an offer on a ring that looks identical to it! Now I'm nervous it might be the same one!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Tahneebrown

Rough_Rock
Oh man! I'm SO glad I found this thread!!! That was a close call! So the stone was as dark in the center as it looks in the pics?? I kept asking the seller about the darkness and they kept avoiding my question! Geesh now I kno why. Thankyou so much for responding to me :))

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I stumbled across the current listing today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-Ladies-PLATINUM-ROUND-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-RING-2-20-Ct-Old-European-Cut-/270910677312?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3f1388e140

And vaguely remember something about jamaica pawn but couldn't remember what then found this thread again. No head-on shots and now we know why.

Couldn't sell it at under $6K (according to OP's initial post), so raise the price to right at $7.5K. That sounds like a winner!

(I'm really head-shot sensitive right now because I ran across a .8 OEC in a setting that I like while I was looking for something else several weeks ago. Every time I run a search of one sort or another and that ring shows up, it just seems to keep begging me to buy it! Argh!)

liz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results