shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a diamond, budget around 35k for 2.5 carat RB..

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Help me find a diamond, budget around 35k for 2.5 carat

AndyDiamond|1330184331|3134194 said:
Folks,

What do you think about the pics? Does it look like a true hearts and arrows?

I don't think so...although some vendors might call it H&A.

For a VS2 of this size, should I expect it to be eye clean from all angles or just looking from the top?

that is what I would want! but it depends on what you want.

I can see 4 black inclusions which are actually 2, but the appraiser told me that it's reflecting so it appears to be a group of 4 in a square patten from 10 inches away looking from the side and pavillion. Please share what you think, as I need to return this stone ASAP before my return period is over, just 4 days.

what happened to the WF stone? that one looked really nice!

Thanks,

Andy

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

What do you think about the pics? Does it look like a true hearts and arrows?

I don't think so...although some vendors might call it H&A.

What's wrong with the hearts and arrows pattern? As an amateur, the symmetry looks fine. How does it compare with the one from WF? I am kinda torn, as this is the only stone I have found that scores a quadruple excellent in the HCA as well.

For a VS2 of this size, should I expect it to be eye clean from all angles or just looking from the top?
that is what I would want! but it depends on what you want.

It is hard to find a VS2 in the 2.5 carat size, that is eye clean from all angles?

I can see 4 black inclusions which are actually 2, but the appraiser told me that it's reflecting so it appears to be a group of 4 in a square patten from 10 inches away looking from the side and pavillion. Please share what you think, as I need to return this stone ASAP before my return period is over, just 4 days.

what happened to the WF stone? that one looked really nice!

They had to return it because they could not hold it so long while I was looking at this one after seeing Diamondseeker2006 and Chuckenator's beautiful fluorescent stones. My appraiser thinks the crystal on the table of that one would be visible as well based on the plot map, but he never examined that stone.

Thanks,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andy, it looks like a beautifully cut stone. I wouldn't worry another second about that. None of us can look at a diamond that is H&A or near H&A and tell the difference. And once it is set, no one can examine the hearts anyway! But being eyeclean is an essential for me. It must be eyeclean from the top, but whether it would be a problem from the sides depends on how it would be set.

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1330186458|3134224 said:
Andy, it looks like a beautifully cut stone. I wouldn't worry another second about that. None of us can look at a diamond that is H&A or near H&A and tell the difference. And once it is set, no one can examine the hearts anyway! But being eyeclean is an essential for me. It must be eyeclean from the top, but whether it would be a problem from the sides depends on how it would be set.

DS,

As far as expectations for a VS2 of this size, is being eyeclean from all angles the exception, or is that the norm? If most our eyeclean all the way around, I would probably try to find another stone.

The stone doesn't look hazy to me, but the appraiser also sells stones, and settings, so may not be totally unbias, claims that it looks a little milky to him with anything strong blue and above. He showed me some medium blues, and did a demonstration by rubbing the medium blue stone, and my strong blue stone with his hands to make it a little oily and dirty. He showed that a stone with less fluorescence would sparkle more when dirty, than one with stronger fluorescence. I didn't see a big difference, but the power of suggestion is powerful. Is that just hocus pocus, or any validity to that demonstration?

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock

You can certainly find a VS2 of that size that is eye clean from all angles at every distance. If the stone is not eye clean to you, then I would keep looking. The cut looks very nice, though, and is close enough to H&A for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That sounds like hocus pocus to me. Jonathan at GOG would not have sold me a stone that had negative effects because he had no reason to do so. In fact, he could have discouraged me in hopes that I'd buy one of his in-house stones, but he didn't. I can't see a bit of difference between this stone and my other H&A G VS1 stone with no fluor., clean or dirty. Cut has more to do with how a stone looks when dirty.

Yes, I think there are VS2's that are eyeclean at that size. However, I still think you may have to go up in price or down in size because most of the stones you have found were obviously priced lower because of an issue, and this one is really the inclusions more than the fluorescence.

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1330187879|3134240 said:
That sounds like hocus pocus to me. Jonathan at GOG would not have sold me a stone that had negative effects because he had no reason to do so. In fact, he could have discouraged me in hopes that I'd buy one of his in-house stones, but he didn't. I can't see a bit of difference between this stone and my other H&A G VS1 stone with no fluor., clean or dirty. Cut has more to do with how a stone looks when dirty.

Yes, I think there are VS2's that are eyeclean at that size. However, I still think you may have to go up in price or down in size because most of the stones you have found were obviously priced lower because of an issue, and this one is really the inclusions more than the fluorescence.

DS,

Jonathan did not personally inspect this stone as he just brokered this diamond for me. The price I paid for this stone is actually on the high side for a strong fluorescence stone which you would expect 20% off. It would just about 15% off, so relatively speaking, it was not a cheaper stone. But there is no way to tell if a stone is eye clean all the away around based on the cert without looking at it in person huh?

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

AndyDiamond|1330188616|3134253 said:

DS,

Jonathan did not personally inspect this stone as he just brokered this diamond for me. The price I paid for this stone is actually on the high side for a strong fluorescence stone which you would expect 20% off. It would just about 15% off, so relatively speaking, it was not a cheaper stone. But there is no way to tell if a stone is eye clean all the away around based on the cert without looking at it in person huh?

I liked the WF stone much better thAn this one. Too many visible inclusions for a vs2... if anything, it's certainly not mind clean with you...

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

sna77|1330194351|3134331 said:
AndyDiamond|1330188616|3134253 said:

DS,

I liked the WF stone much better thAn this one. Too many visible inclusions for a vs2... if anything, it's certainly not mind clean with you...

I am not sure if the WF stone was eye clean or not either. I previously assumed all VS2's were eye clean all the way around.

Here's one my appraiser, Troy Lob locally at Liberty Diamonds that he has onhand. He says it is eye clean, and the plot map looks very clean for an SI2, in fact better than my VS2. It is an SI2 F color 2.52 carat stone. What do you guys think? Specs below, attached are GIA cert, and pics of stone. It just scores 1.9 on the HCA though with it being excellent only on light return, and very good on everything else. He says the base of arrows are fatter on this diamond which indicates better light return. Do you guys agree with that?

Stone specs:
GIA Cut: Excellent
GIA Polish: Excellent
GIA Symmetry: Excellent
Measurements: 8.68 x 8.73x 5.38 mm
Table: 57 %
Depth: 61.8%
Crown angle: 34.5 degrees
Pavilion angle: 41 degrees
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick

2.52FSI2-arrows.jpg

2.52FSI2hearts.jpg

Attachments

• 2127325596.pdf
    538.3 KB · Views: 30

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

i see a ton ofinclusions in that.l. tring to find an eye clean si2 at 2.5 ct is looking for a needle in a haystack...

and the wf stone certainly looked eye clean from the magnified pictures

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock

I agree, way too many inclusions. Do you have to have a 2.5? You will most likely be able to find nicer stones within your budget if you go down a little in carat weight.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

that 2.5 is 8.68x8.73... my wife's old 2.36 faced up at 8.68x8.75. her new stone is 8.52x8.58. they look exactlythe same size... i know saying the stone is 2.3ct isnt as sexy as saying 2.5, but it looks the same visually. of course, if your gf has her mind set on nothing less than ct weight at 2.5, then you either need to increase the budget slightly or drop drastically somewhere else... you could get a killer 2.25 for that budget for instance...

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

plummiecat|1330199001|3134389 said:
I agree, way too many inclusions. Do you have to have a 2.5? You will most likely be able to find nicer stones within your budget if you go down a little in carat weight.

Yes, minimum 2.50. Price is not an issue now. I am just trying to find any VS2 G color hearts and arrows proportioned stone. I could always negotiate with vendor. Not willing to pay above RAP price of $16,100 per carat. That would just be gouging in my opinion.

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

sna77|1330201149|3134414 said:
that 2.5 is 8.68x8.73... my wife's old 2.36 faced up at 8.68x8.75. her new stone is 8.52x8.58. they look exactlythe same size... i know saying the stone is 2.3ct isnt as sexy as saying 2.5, but it looks the same visually. of course, if your gf has her mind set on nothing less than ct weight at 2.5, then you either need to increase the budget slightly or drop drastically somewhere else... you could get a killer 2.25 for that budget for instance...

The 2.52 faces up 8.85 x 8.89 x 5.31 mm. It scores excellent on all 4 areas on the HCA. I have not seen that on any other stone.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

i wouldnt worry about an excellent for spread on the hca. vg is actully prob better as many of the stones that score an excellent for spread are a bit too shalow. and remember hca is a rejection tool, not selection tool.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sna77|1330201806|3134427 said:
i wouldnt worry about an excellent for spread on the hca. vg is actully prob better as many of the stones that score an excellent for spread are a bit too shalow. and remember hca is a rejection tool, not selection tool.
+ 1... :!:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

[quote="AndyDiamond|1330196800|

I am not sure if the WF stone was eye clean or not either. I previously assumed all VS2's were eye clean all the way around.

Here's one my appraiser, Troy Lob locally at Liberty Diamonds that he has onhand. He says it is eye clean, and the plot map looks very clean for an SI2, in fact better than my VS2. It is an SI2 F color 2.52 carat stone. What do you guys think? Specs below, attached are GIA cert, and pics of stone. It just scores 1.9 on the HCA though with it being excellent only on light return, and very good on everything else. He says the base of arrows are fatter on this diamond which indicates better light return. Do you guys agree with that?

Stone specs:
Measurements: 8.68 x 8.73x 5.38 mm
Depth: 61.8%
Crown angle: 34.5 degrees
Pavilion angle: 41 degrees
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick[/quote]

this is "NOT" a true H&A stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AndyDiamond|1330201523|3134423 said:

The 2.52 faces up 8.85 x 8.89 x 5.31 mm. It scores excellent on all 4 areas on the HCA. I have not seen that on any other stone.

Unless we are talking about two different stones, the 2.5 says 8.68x8.73. I couldn't handle SI2 in a 2.5 ct. diamond. As sna will attest, it is hard to even find a good SI1 in diamonds that size. He chose a VS2 this time. I'd really stick with VS2 in this size stone.

Andy, when you mention a rap price of $16k a ct., is that a quote based on just cts., color, and clarity, or is it specifically for excellent/ideal cut?

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1330226758|3134687 said:
AndyDiamond|1330201523|3134423 said:

Unless we are talking about two different stones, the 2.5 says 8.68x8.73. I couldn't handle SI2 in a 2.5 ct. diamond. As sna will attest, it is hard to even find a good SI1 in diamonds that size. He chose a VS2 this time. I'd really stick with VS2 in this size stone.

Andy, when you mention a rap price of $16k a ct., is that a quote based on just cts., color, and clarity, or is it specifically for excellent/ideal cut?

Yes, that 2.52 is 8.68 x 8.73. I was referring to the VS2 G I had now. Do you not think the SI2 will actually be eye clean? Have you seen the plot map? It looks so clean.

The price of $16,100 on RAP is just based on 2-2.99 carat size, color/clarity.

Didn't ask GOG about the stone you are referencing, but I wouldn't pay that much for an SI, when I can get an VS for the same price.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

AndyDiamond|1330201213|3134415 said:

Yes, minimum 2.50. Price is not an issue now. I am just trying to find any VS2 G color hearts and arrows proportioned stone. I could always negotiate with vendor. Not willing to pay above RAP price of $16,100 per carat. That would just be gouging in my opinion.

I'm a bit confused as to which 2.52 you are referring too? The indented natural? I'd avoid that.

I'm also confused as to what you don't like about this stone from Blue Nile that you had Whiteflash call in:
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-2-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-vs2-clarity_LD02290739?pubid=k244266&lid=j26493690k244266&sid=bnus_728123426

$41,279 for a 2.5 ct. is $16,500 per carat, which is $1029 over your per carat budget--but I think its worth it for this. No stone you've posted even comes close. This is a beautiful VS2 and looks totally eye clean. Also at 8.76 x 8.82, it faces up larger than any of the other stones you've posted...

If price is the only thing holding you back on that stone--call ID Jewelry in NYC--they generally sell for less than everyone and probably have access to that virtual stone...

DI40X_GIA5126419146.jpg

IS_GIA5126419146.jpg

H_GIA5126419146.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sna77|1330291676|3135127 said:

I'm a bit confused as to which 2.52 you are referring too? The indented natural? I'd avoid that.

I'm also confused as to what you don't like about this stone from Blue Nile that you had Whiteflash call in:
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-2-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-vs2-clarity_LD02290739?pubid=k244266&lid=j26493690k244266&sid=bnus_728123426

$41,279 for a 2.5 ct. is $16,500 per carat, which is $1029 over your per carat budget--but I think its worth it for this. No stone you've posted even comes close. This is a beautiful VS2 and looks totally eye clean. Also at 8.76 x 8.82, it faces up larger than any of the other stones you've posted...

If price is the only thing holding you back on that stone--call ID Jewelry in NYC--they generally sell for less than everyone and probably have access to that virtual stone...

Yes, this is a GORGEOUS stone, and I don't recall why you ruled it out. I want to be sure you understand that top cut quality commands a premium over cuts that are less than hearts and arrows/ideal cut. You are going to pay more for the best cut. That's why when you want to stick to a certain RAP price, it is not taking into account that the best stones will be priced higher.

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

sna77|1330291676|3135127 said:

Yes, the 2.52 is the one with the indented natural but it's on the pavillion, and poses no issues. It also faces up the largest, 8.85 x 8.89. I am actually a fan of fluorescence and the extra price discount is a bonus. As for the virtual stone on Bluenile, I can get it for about $39600, as Bluenile offers a 4% discount for Pricescope customers. However, even that stone, I do not know for certain is eye clean from the side or not. Previously I just had assumed all VS2's were eye clean, so didn't ask. I am trying to contact Whiteflash, and see if they had checked that or not.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

AndyDiamond|1330294812|3135145 said:
Yes, the 2.52 is the one with the indented natural but it's on the pavillion, and poses no issues. It also faces up the largest, 8.85 x 8.89. I am actually a fan of fluorescence and the extra price discount is a bonus. As for the virtual stone on Bluenile, I can get it for about $39600, as Bluenile offers a 4% discount for Pricescope customers. However, even that stone, I do not know for certain is eye clean from the side or not. Previously I just had assumed all VS2's were eye clean, so didn't ask. I am trying to contact Whiteflash, and see if they had checked that or not.

I don't know... I'd be a lot more concerned about looking at a piece of the stone missing (indented natural) than I would be about inclusions from the underside of the diamond... And with that BN discount, you're at $15,840 per carat--which is $300ish under RAP--so you're getting a "deal". :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would certainly ask WF for a picture of the pavilion so you can see the indented natural. It may be extremely tiny and insignificant or it might rule out the stone. No way to know without seeing it.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1330295766|3135156 said:
I would certainly ask WF for a picture of the pavilion so you can see the indented natural. It may be extremely tiny and insignificant or it might rule out the stone. No way to know without seeing it.

I might be confused, but I don't think we've seen any images or Ideal Scopes of the indented natural. Also, I don't think he said which vendor it was from or the cost? Although I might have missed something...

AndyDiamond

Rough_Rock

sna77|1330295883|3135158 said:
diamondseeker2006|1330295766|3135156 said:

I might be confused, but I don't think we've seen any images or Ideal Scopes of the indented natural. Also, I don't think he said which vendor it was from or the cost? Although I might have missed something...

I already have the indented natural 2.52 stone which was brokered through GOG, no images, but I did post the images the appraiser took for me. Not the best discount, about $34k for a strong fluorescent stone which usually averages about 20%.

I can't see the indented natural on the pavillion so it doesn't bother me.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

OK, I finally understand. For DiamondSeeker's sanity, here are the two stones we are talking about. Basically it comes down to which you like better... And, well, circa $5,000

#1.
2.52ct G VS2, indented natural, Strong Blue floro.
$34,000

Measurements: 8.85 x 8.89 x 5.31 mm
Depth: 59.9%
Crown angle: 33.5 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.8 degrees
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Fluorescence: Strong Blue

#2.
2.50ct G VS2
$39,600

Stone specs:
Measurements: 8.76 x 8.82 x 5.33 mm
Table: 56 %
Depth: 60.7%
Crown angle: 34 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.6 degrees
Girdle: Medium
Fluorescence: None

2.52VS2Garrows.jpg

HCA-252.JPG

DI40X_GIA5126419146.jpg

HCA-250.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sna77|1330299317|3135216 said:
OK, I finally understand. For DiamondSeeker's sanity, here are the two stones we are talking about. Basically it comes down to which you like better... And, well, circa $5,000

#1.
2.52ct G VS2, indented natural, Strong Blue floro.
$34,000

Measurements: 8.85 x 8.89 x 5.31 mm
Depth: 59.9%
Crown angle: 33.5 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.8 degrees
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Fluorescence: Strong Blue

#2.
2.50ct G VS2
$39,600

Stone specs:
Measurements: 8.76 x 8.82 x 5.33 mm
Table: 56 %
Depth: 60.7%
Crown angle: 34 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.6 degrees
Girdle: Medium
Fluorescence: None

Whew! Thanks! I was definitely feeling like I had lost track of which stone was which!!!

Is the WF stone fine other than price? It looks great!

The other one might be great, but I'd have to have pictures of the pavilion (indented natural) and it would have to be eyeclean from all directions. If these things are not a problem, then you may as well save the $5k. But I wouldn't do it unless I had assurance about those issues. I assume you didn't get GOG to evaluate the stone because it would raise the price, but what I was trying to convey about my stone was that I trusted Jonathan to tell me if the fluorescence was a negative or not, and I am not sure you are getting unbiased info on that. It is rare for strong blue to be a problem, though, if you believe what you read on here. It is very strong/extremely strong blue that you need to be more cautious about.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

mrb09

Rough_Rock

sna77|1330295142|3135147 said:
AndyDiamond|1330294812|3135145 said:

I don't know... I'd be a lot more concerned about looking at a piece of the stone missing (indented natural) than I would be about inclusions from the underside of the diamond... And with that BN discount, you're at $15,840 per carat--which is $300ish under RAP--so you're getting a "deal". :bigsmile:

When did bluenile start offering a ps discount, and how do I access these prices??? Help please

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results