shape
carat
color
clarity

Need setting assistance!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just bought a Aquamarine off DB and it is for my sister's 50th birthday next month....it is a 2.27 ct oval and I need some assistance with how or what type of setting to use, the stone does have a window and the person I bought it from stated that I should use a closed in setting....I am not totally sure what that would be...I have only set one other colored stone and it it was a stone cut buy Barry so I didnt have to worry about the setting, they all looked good lol. So here is my question I am looking to set this in a pendant and probably will set it in silver as I need to keep the cost down....so what type of setting would be best to close up a window in this stone, this is her picture not mine, I would appreciate any help you all could give me, thanks

aquamarine.jpg

Coco914

Shiny_Rock

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you I did see that today, that would be perfect and I really like his work...but I dont think I would have time to use him...but at least now I think I know what I need to close that window up some, thank you for your help :D

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh wow, it's so cool to see myself referenced :D

Diamondrnglover: I'm no setting pro, but from my recent experience, I'd say you need to decide whether you want to go with prongs or bezel. If you're in a rush, prongs will probably be easier to find. Just make sure that the type of prong-head you choose has metal behind the back of the stone. I'll attach some pics to illustrate. With a pendant, I'd say you have to be extra careful to make sure of this detail, because an open back setting will probably lie flatter against the skin.

If you go with a bezel, having a completely closed back would make the stone difficult to clean. With my chryso ring, I'm hoping to get access through the sides, but it'll be tricky.

Good luck, I hope it turns out beautifully!

- Anya

open back - Copy.jpg

closed back - Copy.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results