shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Danny, the mess with P. Alexandra's daughter was really pretty bad. She got into the news when she became pregnant & refused to marry the father -- which put the tabloids into a feeding frenzy -- nobody cares w/average folks but Royal family-pain sells newspapers. Eventually they did get married (& divorced 7 yrs later amid reports of debts & violent rows). Marina was taken out of the line of succession because her husband was Catholic.

During all the publicity Marina behaved just abominally. She said truly awful, insulting, untrue things to the papers in paid interviews about her parents & the Queen. Posed for paparazzi sporting about on a "throne" with a fake crown on her head. Behaved like a very ugly spoiled brat. Her parents froze her trust fund briefly, but un-froze it after a short time. I can't blame them. Eventually she & her parents reconciled.

She claimed support from the dole in 2000 -- taking gov't money -- while living in a grace & favor cottage in Windsor Great Park, which created controversy because her rent was "peppercorn" and she never in her life had a job or tried to support herself. (Apparently didn't apply that trust fund money to paying her rent!) Made a noisy public fuss that she'd send her kids to the local comprehensive (our public) school instead of the private one to which Fergie's daughters go, so her mother, as she intended, footed the bill for tuition. Marina is now about 45 & "in school" learning something or other, listing herself as a "composer of music." Still has never earned a penny herself.

Both her mother and father have wonderful reputations -- Angus Ogilvy earned his own money -- may also have inherited some but worked all his life until a scandal -- in which a subsequent gov't inquiry found him blameless -- motivated him to retire & devote his time to charities. He died in 2004. We know about Alexandra's life & good works. Marina looks to me like a classic example of a sense of entitlement gone vastly amok.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1329719395|3129824 said:
Bobby, they may not be technically "royal" but they are the Queen's relations and they have the same bloodline as their mother. I was just noting the scandal and, I guess, we'd want to see the children following in their mother's footsteps. It seems like a letdown to me. *Shrugs*

Mrs Maria Ogilvy (formerly Mowatt) is a plain commoner, albeit with some blood relation to HM The Queen. I also wish she had followed the fine exaple of her mother, alas she did not. I guess we can't blame the parents (both of whom are/were respectable people) for the misfortunes of their daughter, who was at the time a grown up.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thank, Laurie! If you find a picture of her playing with a fake throne, or anything else scandalous, please post it, although maybe not in this thread. I'd like to see that.

Bobby, a plain commoner? LOL. My mother wasn't a princess and my father wasn't the son of a 13th generation earl, so I realize she is a commoner, but she's probably a little less common than me.

Does anyone have a current picture of Princess Alexandra? I think I read she was 70 in '96, so she doesn't look like these pictures? She is beautiful, her jewels are too, and she wears them very well. :))

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have a current picture of Princess Alexandra? I think I read she was 70 in '96, so she doesn't look like these pictures? She is beautiful, her jewels are too, and she wears them very well. :))

Princess Alexandra was born on Christmas day in 1936. It was another meber of the Britiah Royal Family that turned 70 in 1996 ;-)
Agree about HRH's looks and jewls. A true royal lady, if you ask me :)

Here are some rather recent photos of Princess Alexandra:
At the pre-wedding gala for the then Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton:
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Princess+Alexandra+Royal+Wedding+Pre+Wedding+j73ul7-HJTSl.jpg

Handing over the Presidency of the WWF UK to HRH The Prince of Wales:
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/12...0B6FB9B912692FB4471C0FCCB9393AEA3B77D88CD075F

Attending the American Associates of the Royal Academy Trust Annual Gala held at The Pierre Hotel, New York, USA:
http://www.newscom.com/nc/wmark/New.../docs/342/841.thm&fname=sipaphotosthree342841

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
TRH The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall will visit Norway, Sweden and Denmark from March 20th to March 27th this year. The visits to these monarchies will mark the official start of the overseas visits by Their Royal Highnesses. In each country The Prince & The Duchess will be the guests of the respective Soverign and his/her Consort.
Here you can read the official press release - http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/med...hess_of_cornwall_to_visit_nor_1023775372.html

I can very well imagine glittering black tie banquets in Norway and Denmark, possibly also with tiaras in Daisy's realm ;-)

PS: Queen Beatrix is sheduled to pay a State Visit to TRH The Grand Duke & Grand Duchess of Luxembourg from March 20th to 22nd. Hope things with Friso will be better untill then, so that we can enjoy a relaxed royal visit.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
It looks like this photo (taken in 2010) is the offiacial Diamond Jubilee Portrait for Canada. Lovely and thoughtful as the portrait is, it's a pity that it's so small, compared to the ones issued for Great Britain and New Zealand...
For those interested, The Queen's wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara, the Festoon necklace, the antique girandole earrings, Queen Mary'e Art Deco cuff bracelet and a watch in diamonds.

The photograph can be seen here - http://www.canadiancrown.com/uploads/3/8/4/1/3841927/5801457.jpg?338

Bobby

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It is! :lol: Union Jack on the hat's crown. Dignified royal party, eh?

P. Alexandra is always impeccable, but in that photo, I'm not crazy about the combination of emeralds with her mauve outfit. A little odd.

--- Laurie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1329915190|3131589 said:
P. Alexandra is always impeccable, but in that photo, I'm not crazy about the combination of emeralds with her mauve outfit. A little odd.

I had to go back and look, Laurie. First, on my monitor the outfit isn't mauve, but a lilac or lavender of some sort (not that that would make it look any better with emeralds!). What I noticed, however-unless my eyes are playing tricks on me-is that the outfit itself appears to be studded with green jewels. If that is so, whether or not one likes the idea of green jewels upon lavender, it makes sense to wear matching green jewels with that outfit!

Do tell me if you, also, see the green jewels sewn onto the blouse of Princess Alexandra's gown!

Deb
:saint:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If you hadn't mentioned it, Deb, I would have thought the sparkles were a darker purple -- but on my monitor they do have a very faint green modifier, lol. That must be it -- can't imagine her picking emeralds otherwise. Thanks, solved that mystery!

--- Laurie

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JewelFreak|1329915190|3131589 said:
It is! :lol: Union Jack on the hat's crown. Dignified royal party, eh?

--- Laurie

My poor illusions about dignified royalty have gone up in smoke...

I can clearly see green stones in the embroidery. It isn't the main colour, but I like how she picks it up and echoes it in her jewelry. The colour on the emerald rings seems fantastic.

WithinDemise

Rough_Rock
For those interested, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden has given birth to a healthy baby girl this morning! the name will be announced either today or tomorrow by the King!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WithinDemise|1329979487|3132295 said:
For those interested, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden has given birth to a healthy baby girl this morning! the name will be announced either today or tomorrow by the King!

Well...she is now second in line for the throne!

Deb/AGBF

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WithinDemise|1329979487|3132295 said:

Welcome, baby Estelle!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
The Good News: The full name of the new Swedish Princess is Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary

The Bad News: A statement was released on Prince Friso's condition, and it's not good. The doctors confirmed there was extensive brain damage, and he may never wake up from his coma. The doctors had hoped that since his body temperature was low, that the hypothermia might have offered some protection from brain damage (hypothermia protecting from brain damage is well documented), but this did not happen. The Dutch royal family is looking into "suitable clinics" for Friso.

My heart goes out to the family, and the thoughts and prayers will continue.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1330094593|3133274 said:
The Good News: The full name of the new Swedish Princess is Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary

Honestly, I had higher expectations for the names and the title of the wee princess... Yesterday I dodn't like the name at all, but today I'm more or less used to it. May HRH The Duchess of Östergötland have a very happy childhood (and in due time enjoy the company of other siblings): )
BTW, I supose The Crown Princess of Denmark would be the godmother ;-)

The Bad News: A statement was released on Prince Friso's condition, and it's not good. The doctors confirmed there was extensive brain damage, and he may never wake up from his coma. The doctors had hoped that since his body temperature was low, that the hypothermia might have offered some protection from brain damage (hypothermia protecting from brain damage is well documented), but this did not happen. The Dutch royal family is looking into "suitable clinics" for Friso.

My heart goes out to the family, and the thoughts and prayers will continue.

This is all so devastating... Princes Mabel, the Contesses, Queen Beatrix and the rest of the family have been in my thoughts since this terrible excident happened... For the Sake of the family I do hope the Princes will continue fighting for his life.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Another sad news from yesterday - HH Infanta Maria Adelaide of Portugal passed away less than a month after celebrating her 100th birthday. The last granddaughter of D. Manuel II and aunt of HRH The Duke of Braganca, Infanta Maria Adelaide was a very interesting historiacal character and a sweet old lady.
May she rest in peace...

dona_adelaide_de_braganca.jpg

A few other photos of the late Infanta and a video from her 100th birthday can be seen here:
http://ppmbraga.blogspot.com/2012/02/faleceu-sas-senhora-infanta-dona.html

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...we're doing a lot of jumping from subject to subject here, but I guess there is just a lot happening among the crowned heads of Europe at the moment. I wanted to post the first photo of Princess Estelle of Sweden that was published. I had actually been hoping that a better one would be published by now, but since one was not, the first one will have to do!

Here is what one newspaper had to say about the photo:

"The humble family-photo features Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel holding a car seat with what appears to be the just hours-old infant wrapped in a blanket with a white hat on her head.

'It says a lot about Victoria and the kind of person she is,' Roger Lundgren, previous editor of Queen magazine and expert on the Swedish royal family, told The Local.

'You wouldn't see the British royals or Kate and William publish a picture like that.'

The picture was taken shortly before the proud parents left Karolinska University Hospital to return to their home at nearby Haga Palace.

Within minutes of being published on the Royal Court's Facebook page, the picture had garnered more than 2,500 likes and close to 600 shares, with both figures climbing rapidly.

While the Royal Court only joined Facebook a few months ago, it has embraced the social networking site's potential to help spread word about the birth of the new princess.

'We live in world where social media is how we communicate any there have been a lot of positive reactions on Facebook,' said Lundgren.

The picture was released shortly after a 42 cannon salute took place in central Stockholm across from the Royal Palace.

Normally, only 21 cannons are fired to salute the arrival of a royal baby, but when an heir to the throne is born, the number is doubled to 42."

Deb/AGBF
:read:

CrownPrincessVictoriaandBaby.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1330185821|3134218 said:
To mark HM The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, TRHThe Earl & The Countess of Wessex are on an official visit to Barbados where they attended a state dinner. At the dinner HRH wore one of her diamond necklaces and pairs of diamond earrings. What medal is HRH wearing?
article-0-11E5E4CD000005DC-130_634x822.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/25/article-0-11E5E4CD000005DC-130_634x822.jpg

More photos from the dinner can be seen here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ted-outfits-attend-Barbados-state-dinner.html

Bobby

I was wondering about that too...I am assuming the star is from the Royal Victorian order. Is is possible this is the Diamond Jubilee medal? I know William and Harry wore the Golden Jubilee medals on their uniforms at the wedding. Do women even wear some memento from the Jubillees?

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
The ribbon on Sophie's medal certainly looks to be the right colors and pattern, based on my google searches, but all the images I've seen are straight ribbons - no bows as hers has. Perhaps non-military members of the Royal Household received a different design??

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Ahh! I wrote a long post and accidentally deleted it while I was trying to log in.

Ok, short version:

I've seen the light. I think the people who wear these jewels, and the jewels' historical and cultural contexts are integral to understanding them, and perfectly suited to this thread. Bobby, I'm sorry I ever said otherwise. I just wasn't thinking it through!

On that note, I watched a documentary about Prince Albert on YouTube last night. It was fascinating! We can't link to YouTube but it can be found there under "Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha Part One", etc. in six parts.

I have a few questions if any of you would like to weigh in-

A. Do you have any opinions about Prince Albert or about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's relationship?

B. Do you believe Queen Victoria was intimate with John Brown?

C. Do you have a list of the jewels Prince Albert designed and had made?

D. Do you have pictures of them?

BTW, I never tire of seeing the tiara with sapphires, so if you have a good picture of it please feel free to post it again.

Thanks!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1330371371|3135758 said:
BTW, I never tire of seeing the tiara with sapphires, so if you have a good picture of it please feel free to post it again.

Hi, Danny! I didn't know which of these photos would end up being better. The larger one looked darker, so I thought I'd post them both. Perhaps someone else has an even better shot of the tiara! Thanks for your posting, I hope it brings forth some interesting information on jewels!

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

TiaraByPrinceAlbert.jpg

Queen_Victorias_Gothic_Sapphire.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Ahh! I wrote a long post and accidentally deleted it while I was trying to log in.

Ok, short version:

I've seen the light. I think the people who wear these jewels, and the jewels' historical and cultural contexts are integral to understanding them, and perfectly suited to this thread. Bobby, I'm sorry I ever said otherwise. I just wasn't thinking it through!

Ha! I knew this day was going to come, Danny!

A. Do you have any opinions about Prince Albert or about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's relationship?
B. Do you believe Queen Victoria was intimate with John Brown?

I think they were a very good team and complimented each other very nicely. The Prince Consort was indeed Queen Victoria's true love (and vice versa), but I think Her Majesty was way too much dependant on him. About everything actually - from organising the household to state affairs and even her jewllery. It was good that she had him up to the moment when HRH died and left his darling Victoria devastated, alone and having to cope with the whole Empire. Yes, she had her large family on which she could rely but the meaning of her life was gone. About Prince Albert I think that he was an ambitious, clever man and his position as the consort in a country like Britain suited his ambitions and intelect very much.
In the way I see things, Queen Victoria had a very close relationship with John Brown for monarch and one of her many servants. Mr Brown was a very strong charachter, just lice Albert had been, and that's one thing The Queen saw and liked in him, but I'm pretty sure that he was not in charge of her heart. I believe (or rather hope) that HM was devoted up untill the last breath to her consort.
To answer your question - No, I din't think Queen Victoria and Brown were intimate in the sence that they were lovers. I think she saw him more or less like a substitute for Albert, but not in her bed. In the end I think there was genuine affection and respect, perhaph even a bit of love between them

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
C. Do you have a list of the jewels Prince Albert designed and had made?

D. Do you have pictures of them?

Thanks!

A list of all jewels that were designed/commisioned by The Prince Consort for Queen Victoria would be impossible to make as it would consist of hundreds oj items, most of them smaller jewels for everyday wear.
Among the best known and impertant jewels that were designed by HRH was of course the small sapphire tiara, the emerald tiara (and the rest of the parure?), the Oriental Circlet (originally set with opeals). There were possibly some jewels (speculation - a small tiara, necklaces) in diamonds and opals that he had made for Victoria. The Prince might have given some input on how to make the Regal Circlet adaptable to accomodate the Koh-i-Noor and the Cumreland diamonds. HRH was also the one to stand behind the re-cutting of the Koh-i-Noor.
As jewels from the Victorian era are mainly known for their santimental, rather than monetary value I have to mention that Prince Albert had pebbles and stones from the royal residences set into necklaces, bracelets, brooches, etc for The Queen and other family members. There were also jewles made of gold and the teeth of stags shot on Windsor and Balmoral. There were also jewels that mark some special events for the family, like the birth of a child or the falling of a first tooth. One of the best jewels (IMHO) is a bracelet that mimics the collar of the Order of the Garter and has a picture of Albert as centerpiece.

Here you can see some of the jewels that I mentioned:
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/e...=oriental+circlet&x=0&y=0&object=200174&row=0
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/e...play=acquired&pagesize=20&object=4815&row=130
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/e...play=acquired&pagesize=20&object=4806&row=164
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/e...acelet&x=0&y=0&pagesize=20&object=13538&row=7
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/e...acelet&x=0&y=0&pagesize=20&object=12453&row=6
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/e...lay=acquired&pagesize=20&object=13508&row=280

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results