shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it better for a star gems to have a higher dome?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Is it better for a star stone to have a higher dome?

I just got a tiny but interesting pink/red ruby star and it has a pretty high dome. Is that something that is done is star stones to help it star?

Tx.
Sonoma

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks much, Ed !

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
It's either done because of the shape of the rough - or more commonly to maximise the weight and therefore price of the stone.

Ideally you want a nice dome that gives a good face-up size, a depth that allows the stone to be set nicely, a sharp well-centred star and a body that is as crystal as possible, a good saturated colour and no cracks or inclusions. This description is obviously of the 'ideal' and would come with a premium price-tag - us mortals generally have to compromise... usually on colour and diaphaneity.

Actually talking of diaphaneity, there really should be an extra 'C' - I suppose one could call it 'crystal' as clarity isn't really sufficient to describe the appearance of the material in stones such as opal, moonstone, star-stones, rose quartz etc. Years ago, people would talk about a stone being of 'fine water' which is more descriptive than merely saying transparent, translucent or opaque - which is after all merely a way of stating whether light can be seen through a material.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Pandora. Ah, the old maximize weight again.

So a star stone, if more transparent will show the star better, I suppose?

It is a fun stone. This is a new area for me.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
sonomacounty|1329653047|3129218 said:
Thanks Pandora. Ah, the old maximize weight again.

So a star stone, if more transparent will show the star better, I suppose?

It is a fun stone. This is a new area for me.

Not necessarily, it's just a more desirable trait - and pretty rare, the vast majority of star stones are translucent or opaque. The body colour can help the appearance of the star - will look stronger on a darker background than a lighter colour.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely am smitten by my star sapphire. I compromised on color, it's a medium-light violet color, but the diaphanous glow and sharp star never fail to mesmerize me, so I don't begrudge the less saturated color. :)

It's so clear I can read through it. I've kept an eye out, but haven't quite fond another one that's quite so clear, which my wallet is thankful for.

file.jpg

file.gif

file.jpg

More unset photos here if you're interested. :)
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/violet-star-sapphire-photos.150649/?hilit=star sapphire

IMG_0480.JPG

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Yours, MTG, is what originally started my interest in star stones. I do believe that is the nicest one Ever ! The setting is perfect, also.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results