shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting my spinel- help!!

familynurse

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone-
Last December , I was ready to send my mahenge neon pink spinel -( 7.2 x 8.9 x 4.95 )from Dana off to be set in a mounting similar to natsplats ring. But then some people posted about how disappointed they were with some of the vendors. The thought of sending my gem off to someone is a little scary. So having second and third thoughts , I decided to wait awhile but am no closer to making a decision. Would you send your gem to Whiteflash, MichaelE , Daniel M ? Or would you send it to someone else? Any recommendations?
I really need to pick someone, since I foolishly promised I wouldn't buy any more gems until I got one of the gems set.

http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=284&id=6217 picture of spinel

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/danielm-barryb-e-ring-handshots.164649/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/danielm-barryb-e-ring-handshots.164649/[/URL]
natsplat's ring

rengb6

Rough_Rock
My sister did a very large project with Michael E last year, she set some sapphires into earrings and a necklace and had a ring made. Currently I'm having a pendant made and am pleased with how attentive he is and all the images he provides to help me visualize the finished piece. Daniel M is also highly recommended on this forum and so is white flash so it's a toss up! But I'm biased and say go with Michael just because that's who my family has used. Good luck!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'd probably send it to Daniel M since they did the original.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want the same setting as Natsplat then you're probably better off going to Daniel M - but I've seen some worrying reviews recently which might be putting you off.

If that's the case, if you send it anywhere else, they probably won't replicate the ring exactly and will want to make some changes. Are you comfortable with that? If yes, then why not Sally at Heart of Water? You don't have to send her your stone unless you want to. I don't know how Michael E works but why not call him? I've not seen a bad review for him. If you want exactly the same setting then you should probably send it to Daniel M.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE Natsplat's setting. As LD says, if you want that precise one, it should go to Daniel M. On the other hand, Michael E. can do something similar with your own personalizations -- he's wonderful with suggestions & very sensitive to his client's likes & dislikes. Easy to work with -- I never felt he had his attention on other things & forgot me -- and he provides many CADs, with clear explanations as to why this or that will or won't work. Sally's an excellent suggestion too; another true artist. I can't imagine being unhappy with anything either of those 2 do.

--- Laurie

familynurse

Rough_Rock
rengb6, LD , jstarfireb, and JewelFreak,

I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my query. All of you reinforced what I already thought. So-- I am going to make a couple of calls or emails and hopefully get this gem set. Again thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Hi Familynurse,

First and foremost, I just want to say that your spinel is gorgeous. I completely understand why you'd feel nervous about sending it off to someone. Each gemstone is so unique, you can never quite replace it should something unfortunate happen... That said, I can tell you that I've had DanielM make some fantastic rings for me in the past. Some have been more modern and simple, while others have been more elaborate "classic" designs. My personal experiences with DanielM have all been positive. I haven't had a custom piece made that has reflected anything but quality workmanship. Should I have a less than positive experience with a piece of jewelry they've made in the future, I have no doubt that Caren and Dan would make it right no matter what it took. They provide impeccable customer service IMHO. If the gemstone in question was costly or has sentimental value, why not ask them to just make the setting? You could send them the dimensions of your stone and they could do a CAD from that? The setting you love (Natsplat's) was custom made by them, so I'd be inclined to have the replica made through them, as well. Also, their prices are very reasonable - my local jeweler has verified this and has complimented the rings they've made.

As for the other jewelers mentioned, I've heard positive reviews and seen some wonderful pieces they've created...but have no personal experience with them as of yet. Whatever you decide, I hope it turns out fantastic...and look forward to seeing your beautiful spinel set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results