shape
carat
color
clarity

How to avoid typos?

Person24

Shiny_Rock
I have noticed that I have a very hard time noticing my own typos at work. When I was in school I would make sure I finished assignments with a few days to spare so I could proof my work with fresh eyes before I submitted it. I do not have the time to do this sort of thing at work. At least 3/4 of the things I do need to be submitted ASAP. This means I can't hold on to things for days. I am starting to get frustrated. I work very hard on the substance of my work and then devalue it with stupid typos. Any tips or suggestions? :confused:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find printing it out and reading it on paper helps..

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do exactly what Amy suggests - I find I catch a lot more things when I have a hard copy to proof read.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has your spell check been disabled on your computer? I know you can turn it on and off... check to see its on? :?:

Person24

Shiny_Rock
Spell check is not disabled. I do print out and proof. I think what happens is that because I have been working on it for so long my brain thinks it says what it should (and if spell check doesn't catch it) either do I. Blah. :o

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Person24|1329577897|3128691 said:
Spell check is not disabled. I do print out and proof. I think what happens is that because I have been working on it for so long my brain thinks it says what it should (and if spell check doesn't catch it) either do I. Blah. :o

Yup, I think I agree with you on this! You become so connected to the piece that you read and reread and you still don't see anything obvious because you are so familiar with it!

Is it at all possible to forward it to a coworker prior to printing it, just so a different pair of eyes can view it, and you offer to do the same for them? Just thinking of options.... :))

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Try changing the font and size just for the proofing, that way it will be already less familiar and you'll have to look more closely.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Read it out loud. Seems stupid, but it makes your brain process it differently than if you were just reading it to yourself and you'll catch typos. :))

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read with a ruler or something covering each line as I finish it (i.e. the ruler is above the line I'm reading.) That slows me down, and helps keep my eyes "on task."

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Can you get someone else to proof-read for you?

My husband is terrible for typos and other errors, I'm a pedant and spot them most of the time very easily. I proof read anything important for him.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old editor's trick: read it backwards.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
The same thing happens to me sometimes. One thing I find helpful is to turn on the editor's marks setting in Word -- I don't know the actual name of it, but the icon is a paragraph mark (the backward P with two vertical lines). It inserts a dot where each space is, and a paragraph symbol where every line break is. Having the symbols there forces me to slow down my reading, so I can catch more of my mistakes. Whenever I proofread for my boss, I ALWAYS use this setting because he is notorious for adding extra spaces all over the place and they can be hard to catch otherwise.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Combination of Matata and Neatfreak's advice: read it backwards AND out loud. You will feel silly but it works!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the reading backwards idea!!

Person24

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I will try them out on Monday! I think I am going to try different font and size, reading outloud and backwards!! That should change the document enough to make me catch the flaws!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results