shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge Spinel - appreciate your advice

NatalieC

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - this is my first post on Pricescope - I've lurked for a very long time and have learnt so much from an amazingly knowledgable community (and have dented my savings after discovering gemstones I'd never seen or heard of before stumbling across Pricescope).

I'm hoping that I might get some help in relation to a Mahenge Spinel that I just purchased on eBay. I have attached the link below as I don't yet know how to paste the pics onto this post.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380409313521?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2698wt_922

They have a return policy so I can return it if I'm not 100% happy when it arrives. The photos aren't super clear, so will be good to see it in person and I will upload some pics when it arrives.

I am looking for a pinkish red stone between 1 - 2 carats.

Really appreciate any insight/critique you can provide.

Thanks in advance :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not really pinkish red (those are almost non existent on ebay and in the general market). However, for what you paid, it's a fair price for an orangy pink stone. Some people love Gem-Earth, and others have had hit/miss situations. I never bought any thing from them. Their photos look manipulated to me, and a photography expert told me the same thing, but hopefully you're happy when it arrives.

Hi Natalie! I'm in search of the perfect Mahenge myself, though I'm in the minority of people looking for a pink as opposed to a red. Anyway, yeah, that is a lousy listing pic. Usually gem-earth's photos are quite clear, so that's weird. I have purchased several gems from them in the past and my experiences were kind of across the board... some winners and some losers. I will say that I did purchase an apricot Mogok from them that was waaaaaaaaaaay off color from the pics. It had to have been 3-4 shades darker (and browner) than the pics showed. So that was a major disappointment as it was almost 4 ct. and $$$, and it definitely tested my trust in the accuracy of their listings. I do agree with TL that sometimes their photos are not a totally accurate representation of their stones in person. But that happens a lot in general unfortunately, so you just have to weed out the winners from the losers and learn as you go. Maureen is really excellent to work with though, so if you do need to return it, you should have no problem. As I said, I did purchase some pieces from them that I was very happy with. I hope this helps and I hope the stone works out for you! :bigsmile:

NatalieC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying TL.
I know I am looking for the almost impossible (along with a lot of other people on these boards!), but its good to hear that I didn't over pay for the stone, althought it probably remains to be seen depending on what it looks like when it arrives.
I will definitely post some pics when I do receive it and would love to get your opinion (and that of others on the boards) as to whether it's a keeper :))
Thanks again.

NatalieC

Rough_Rock
Hi Autumn :wavey: nice to hear from you

I did read through the post on your Mahenge quest and sounds like you are on the right track with the stone from Tan. I have purchased a few Tsavorite Garnets through him and been very happy with what I received. I am on vacation at the moment and only have my iPad, but I'll post some pics of those when I get home and back on my PC.

Interesting to hear about your experience with Gem Earth, I should just try and keep an open mind until the stone arrives! But definitely pleased to hear that Maureen has been good to deal with.

As soon as it arrives I will post some pics and le you know what I think.

Fingers crossed for you that the stone from Tan turns out well :)

Thanks,
Natalie.

Hello again! Yes, yes, please do post some pics when she arrives. Since the listing photos of your stone are a little grainy, it's hard to comment on whether the stone is pinkish-red, orangey-red, red-red, etc., but it looks well-saturated which is great. And the cut looks fantastic... I love cushions. The cut on the oval I purchased from Tan looks a bit rough... but I'm just hoping the color is there. I plan to set the square as a solitaire on a diamond band, and if Tan's works out, I'd like to set that one in a diamond floral. Something like the photo below... Will you be setting yours if it's a keeper?

Again, good luck, and I can't wait to see your photos!

Hugs,
Autumn

FloralCluster.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking from my own experience, I have learned that since their photos are enhanced - and Maureen is pretty open about why she feels she needs to enhance them - I must ask questions up front. She is extremely responsive and tries to be as honest as possible. She has steered me away from certain stones and has generally been understanding about the stones I return to her. At this point, I try really hard not to be drawn in by the photos. In the past, when I have purchased on appearance alone without benefit of questions, the stone is inevitably not been up to expectations and has been returned. Maureen's stones are also generally better cut than others I have bought from ebay (except those of the precision cutters).

I hope it is up to your expectations.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1329376861|3127270 said:
Speaking from my own experience, I have learned that since their photos are enhanced - and Maureen is pretty open about why she feels she needs to enhance them - I must ask questions up front. She is extremely responsive and tries to be as honest as possible. She has steered me away from certain stones and has generally been understanding about the stones I return to her. At this point, I try really hard not to be drawn in by the photos. In the past, when I have purchased on appearance alone without benefit of questions, the stone is inevitably not been up to expectations and has been returned. Maureen's stones are also generally better cut than others I have bought from ebay (except those of the precision cutters).

I hope it is up to your expectations.

I have an issue with the use of "SLP gem lab" on her stones. No one can find the address to be correct, nor of its existence. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but she seems to be the only vendor using this lab report, and it has no website, and no contact information. I also heard. I actually heard from my gemologist friend that its a bogus lab. He told me he has seen stones that were glass filled or synthetic, as natural and/or untreated. I would not buy from a vendor that uses unverifiable lab reports.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember you expressing that concern several years ago. As a result, at some expense, the first four or five stones I bought from Gem Earth either went to AGL or to GIA. They came back exactly as represented. Eventually, I bought a padparadscha sapphire that turned out was beryllium treated. Maureen honored her agreement and took the sapphire back, paying for everything including the lab report.

I would definitely not buy anything like sapphires from them - unless you made a deal in advance - because she does not use labs that have the equipment to test for more invasive treatments. The SPL lab she uses I can take or leave, since I buy stones from her that typically don't have treatments.

NatalieC

Rough_Rock
:love: wow Autumn, that ring would be stunning, I have my fingers crossed for you that Tan's stone makes the grade and you can get that gorgeous ring and show us all!!

I will put my stone in to a ring, when I find the right stone that is!! I'm now getting a little unsure about the one on its way based on the feedback from some of the posters (which I am happy to receive as it means I will pay more attention to the stone when it arrives). I will either three stone it with diamonds or put it in a bezel setting.

Fingers crossed for both of us =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results