shape
carat
color
clarity

Should the guy inform his parents before proposing?

james88

Rough_Rock
I know it's tradition to ask the girl's family beforehand, but what is the "rule" for guys? Is it common to share the news with parents before the question is popped?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would sure like to be advised of my son's plans... especially if they included making a GF, a permanent upgrade to wife status! I hope that my relationship with my son's would be one that they'd want to tell us of their plans... and that we'd probably already know it was heading that way anyhow.

I guess telling the guy's parents is really a 'heads up' nice courtesy to his parents.

affguy

Shiny_Rock
I told my folks, in part because that's just the relationship we have, but also because I was involving some friends in the proposal scheme, and it seemed appropriate tell my parents before my friends.

red_men85

Rough_Rock
Not sure it's a 'rule' as such but I'll be telling my parents, think they'd probably feel hurt if I didn't.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
red_men85|1331216713|3143883 said:
Not sure it's a 'rule' as such but I'll be telling my parents, think they'd probably feel hurt if I didn't.
I have 2 sons and a daughter and I wouldfeel hurt if my son's didn't let us know in advance. I think that (in general) your parents are your biggest supporters and they've been with you thru all of your life events, so far. This is one of the biggest milestones EVER - its respectful to include those that have been there for you from day 1.

But... hopefully the proposal news won't be a shock to either set of parents. If they know their kids and see the love the 2 share, I would assume it would be the next progression.

Having said that - I sure hope my #1 does not pick the current g/f he just got involved with :shock:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results