shape
carat
color
clarity

I miss my chrysoberyl... for the next month or so :)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I initially thought I would wait until my new chryso was set to post about it, but I made the mistake of making my desktop picture a photo of the stone, so now I see it and miss it. I feel so silly. But then I feel grateful that this forum exists and I can vent, or browse the archive of topics here and get educated and distracted at the same time :)

A little about the stone: I got the chryso bug after seeing some of the beautiful stones here. Luckily, soon after contracting the bug I had an opportunity to go to New York and get a stone directly from a dealer who is ready to go to Tuscon with plentiful inventory. I picked out one that I thought looked most like a neon yellow marker :) It's 7x8mm, around 2.4ct.

Currently being set (or waiting to be set) by Daniel M (thanks PS for pointing me in their direction!).

P.S. It's super hard to photograph, and actually looks a lot more like the neon yellow marker than this pic. The neon yellow marker doesn't even look like itself on this pic... oops :)

- Anya

IMG_1978-2 - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think all of us here experience it to various degrees some time or other. Especially for custom settings that have such long lead times, after a few weeks, I feel as though I've forgotten what it looks like!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful stone. I too miss my tsones when they are being set...but as the saying goes...Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your responses!

Chrono: I almost wish I could forget what it looks like, then I won't be as crazy to get it back! :lol: *need to change desktop pic*

Deia: You are so right about making the heart grow fonder. I know I'll be all the more psyched about it when it's done after the wait!

- Anya

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see what it looks like when it comes back, I love chrysoberyls!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks TL :) I have to admit that it was your cushion chrysoberyl that got me thinking in the chryso-direction in the first place. You had very nice pics that showed its color. And then I believe you were the one who posted the very useful instructions that it should look like a highlighter :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1326917126|3106045 said:
Thanks TL :) I have to admit that it was your cushion chrysoberyl that got me thinking in the chryso-direction in the first place. You had very nice pics that showed its color. And then I believe you were the one who posted the very useful instructions that it should look like a highlighter :appl:

That's so funny. I was watching the Gem Shopping Network,and they had some neon Tanzanian chrysoberyl, and the host called it the "highlighter gemstone." That was after I mentioned it should look like highlighter, so apparently I'm not the only one that recognizes this color comparison.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got the ring today. DanielM did a beautiful job on the bezel, the workmanship is really nice.

But, my stone's window is showcased front and center in this design. I picked it myself, so it's my oversight). I'm having kind of a "DUH" moment, only now do I realize that there has to be metal under the stone to help close the window (right?). This design has a direct line is sight to my finger. :(sad

Also, I think the 18K yellow gold bezel doesn't do anything for the stone. I know that a lot of people here prefer high karat yellow gold with chrysos, but... this alloy of 18K yellow gold doesn't look all that yellow. I dunno, something about it is just off.

So... I think i didn't choose the best home for my stone. I think I should have gone with prongs. Has anyone ever re-used bezels? I can imagine I could get the stone out if I decide to go that route, but I'd hate to lose this beautiful bezel. Who knows, maybe I'll get used to it. I better, cause I'm out of "jewelry" money :knockout:

I'll attach three pics. First is stone at it's worst, then the stone at its best (it has to catch the light in a very particular way), and lastly the back of the ring and a little of the super cute design.

- Anya

IMG_2896 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2918 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2927 - Copy.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, it's beautiful!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
The colour is AMAZING in the second shot!! :love: :love:

Sadly, I see what you mean about the window. It sucks when you're not in love with something you've been so anxious to see (I know exactly how you feel- a custom piece just came in yesterday and it did not come close to meeting my expectations so I sent it back)! Maybe you could see if daniel m could add more metal inside the donut to "fill it in" and help close it up?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bright ice: thanks! It does look nice when the light falls on it properly. The stone is pretty, and the bezel is awesome.

petit bijou: You were able to send back a custom piece? For more work, or for a refund? But you are right about having special expectations for custom pieces.

I wrote to DanielM, and Caren's response made me feel 100% better: they can put a new stone in the bezel (if it has almost the same proportions, which totally makes sense) for a reasonable labor fee. They are super nice :)

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
wow the color is awesome in the second pic and I really like the setting! The little O's are so cute. I see whatcha mean about the window though.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
GemFever|1328751942|3122097 said:
petit bijou: You were able to send back a custom piece? For more work, or for a refund? But you are right about having special expectations for custom pieces.

I wrote to DanielM, and Caren's response made me feel 100% better: they can put a new stone in the bezel (if it has almost the same proportions, which totally makes sense) for a reasonable labor fee. They are super nice :)

Yeah, I had requested a modification from something they had in their regular inventory, and sadly it didn't come out well at all. I think part of the problem was that they were working from a mould and trying to edit and re-size, so the proportions got all mangled. I am sending pictures of the issues I had with it, and letting them decide if they think they can re-work it, otherwise they will just refund me the purchase price minus shipping. Once I'm finished dealing with the whole scenario I'll probably post photos and a review.

Fortunately for me they have a "guaranteed" return policy, even for their custom pieces! I think they do so much volume that it's not as challenging for them to absorb pieces that don't go over the way they hoped.

Anyway... sorry for the temporary thread jack :oops: I'm glad DanielM is able to offer a solution for you. Do you think you will try to find a new stone for that setting now? Gotta love when projects breed new projects!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the color in that second picture!! I think the window would be less evident in a prong setting. I have a chrysoberyl with a small window that closed up in the prong setting, but it also depends on the window size. Glad they can offer a solution for you.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Treenbean: thanks! I'm hoping the window can be closed. *fingers crossed*

petit bijou: Not a threadjack at all, it's interesting info! I hope your projects works out to your liking. I considered looking for a new stone, but the chryso is an odd shape (7.1 x 8.1) so it would take me a while to find something to fit (that I would also like and be able to afford). So I'm trying to come up with ways to make this stone work in this setting.

TL: As soon as I saw the finished ring, I realized the stone should have been prong set. It would have closed the window, and I think it would have been better for its color, too. Live and learn.

I think I came up with a way to solve the window problem. I will ship the stone to DanielM and see if Dan can remove the bezel from the shank, and put it on top of a new shank (so the bezel would be sitting on top of silver). I tried this with some aluminum foil, and i think just might work. If the whole plan is possible at all.

window - Copy.JPG

masked window 1 - Copy.JPG

masked window - Copy.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1328799604|3122356 said:
Treenbean: thanks! I'm hoping the window can be closed. *fingers crossed*

petit bijou: Not a threadjack at all, it's interesting info! I hope your projects works out to your liking. I considered looking for a new stone, but the chryso is an odd shape (7.1 x 8.1) so it would take me a while to find something to fit (that I would also like and be able to afford). So I'm trying to come up with ways to make this stone work in this setting.

TL: As soon as I saw the finished ring, I realized the stone should have been prong set. It would have closed the window, and I think it would have been better for its color, too. Live and learn.

I think I came up with a way to solve the window problem. I will ship the stone to DanielM and see if Dan can remove the bezel from the shank, and put it on top of a new shank (so the bezel would be sitting on top of silver). I tried this with some aluminum foil, and i think just might work. If the whole plan is possible at all.

The only problem with that is that it will be hard to get in there to clean the bottom of the stone. What about wearing two silver bands with it, on either side? That might help. The problem with bezels is that they darken the stone a bit, and that can emphasize any window.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL: That is a great idea! Now I just need to get two thin silver bands :)

I wonder if I should just go with this solution, or still send the ring to DanielM... hmm...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results