shape
carat
color
clarity

ring and gloves?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I assume it is not safe to wear gloves with a ring? risk of prongs getting loosened?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not a good idea, really. I personally cannot stand the feeling of a ring on under gloves so I generally avoid wearing rings if I need gloves, or I just don't wear my gloves.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, wear gloves if you want. Rings are meant to be worn, and if it cannot stand up to wearing gloves, then something is wrong with your ring ;)) Remember, most women never think about these things, and somehow their rings survive!

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
I would say it depends on the size of your stone (e.g., a 3 ct round in a prong setting is more likely to come loose than a .3 ct round in a prong setting, just because a larger will, of necessity, have a lot more diamond than prong, kwim?). With a very high setting, it would certainly be uncomfortable. But in most cases, wear gloves over your ring, I always have.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I now live in SoCal, so I only find myself wearing gloves very early in the morning, But I do find it to feel a bit off. I have some arthritis my hands, so it's best to wear gloves in the cold, I think I'm lucky I don't need them more, thanks to where I live. But when I lived in the northeast, I wore gloves all winter.

I do remember having to get used to the feeling of the glove over my solitaire each winter. That was before PS, so I'd never thought about wear and tear on my ring. I'm thinking now, that unless you work outside all day, the amount of time you are actually wearing the gloves doesn't compare to say, the amount of time you would wear your rings over night. (comparing the wear and tear from sheets, compared to the same from a glove.)

Just to share a related sparkly memory: I remember, way back, when I was engaged...23 years ago...I happened to be in a meeting with a manager. In a hurry after the meeting, she pulled on her glove. Her solitaire, an almost exact match to my original ering, had worn a hole in her glove, so that there was an opening/hole there, showing her ring in all its glory. She even made a joke, saying something like: "I know, isn't that crazy? That happens to every pair of gloves I buy." Weird. I never saw that with any one else, and it's never happened to me, though I favor leather gloves (for driving purposes) to knitted, so maybe that's the difference?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just coming back to add that the first (and only) time I had to repair my prongwork was 2001, which would have been 14 years after first getting my ering. The first few years included wearing my ring 24/7, I stopped wearing it overnigh, maybe 4 years in. And, all 12 years included winters of wearing gloves. I don't know if that info is helpful, but it seems to address the original question?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just don't wear gloves

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is just too cold here in the winter time not to wear gloves so I do and so far I have not had any issues. I turn my ring around (2.93 stone) because that makes it easier/more comfortable to put the gloves on for some reason and while it is not the most comfortable sensation I manage. Plus, I always feel safer covering my rings on the subway so gloves are great for that. One recommendation is to wear gloves that are a bit larger than your size as that also helps.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I have a small stone (for PS standards), .52, but it is in a pretty high setting, and I wear gloves all the time - it's too cold in the UK not to. I haven't noticed any problems.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I Always wear gloves

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I never thought about this! Then again I have a classic Tiffany setting so maybe I don't have the same care issues that some of the women on here do - for example if you have a micropave setting. Makes me wonder what is really an everyday vs. special occasion ring. I live in DC so not wearing gloves isn't really an option that I care to explore. Personally, I think if you live in a climate with seasons jewelers should take into account things like wearing gloves in their design.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear gloves from about November till March/early April where I live and I never give it a thought. I get the odd stray fibre on a claw, but I do not worry about loosing a stone or damaging a setting. In fact, I think I may be protecting the ring by having gloves on. It can go down to -30C with windchill! .... and I continue to live here... WHY??? :?:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rarely ever need them, but when I do, I turn my diamond around to the side on the palm side so it can't catch on the glove as I put it on.

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
Mittens!! They are roomier and don"t squash your ring into your finger and they keep you hands so much warmer!! I don't own a single pair of gloves I find then strange...like toe socks :cheeky:

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on the pair of gloves. I have an old ratty leather pair that are roomy enough for me to wear my rings. My new pair that I received over the holidays are luxurious and fitted and cashmere lined and they do not go over my taller rings so well.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 0.47 round set fairly high, I think it sits about 7-8 mm high total. I wear gloves all through winter and don't think twice.

It's jean pockets that bother me, I can never get my hand in my pocket!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try not to, or if I must I do as DS does and turn the ring palm-side. I also avoid gloves with knitted interiors - may as well minimize what can catch!

Despite the height of the stone I never had a problem sticking my WF ring into gloves or pockets or anything else - those prongs were sturdy! I imagine I'll have to be a lot more careful with this new ring, with the super-dainty super-clawed prongs, though.

threadjack--

Mrs. W 514|1327306207|3109410 said:
Mittens!! They are roomier and don"t squash your ring into your finger and they keep you hands so much warmer!! I don't own a single pair of gloves I find then strange...like toe socks :cheeky:

Ohh I love mittens!! They really do keep your fingers warmer!
Do you know any good places to get "grown up" mittens that aren't too cutesy for work? I'd love to find some that are suit-appropriate ::)

//sorry slg!

Sparkly_Girl

Rough_Rock
With my first ering, I always wore gloves... Living in Minneapolis, it never occurred to me not to! It was a 1.02 ct rb that was set fairly high in a cathedral setting. Until my gloves were broken in, it always felt a little awkward.... But I'm a freeze baby so I didn't care. (all vanity goes out the window for me in the winter... I'd rather be warm!)

Now, with my second ering being fabricated, I'm not sure how I'll fare... It's a 4.03 ct cushion set in another 1.65 cts of rb microwave. I may have a hard time fitting it into my driving gloves! Maybe I'll have to start wearing mens gloves... At least on my left hand. :wink2:

Cheers - Bridget

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I never wear my e-ring with gloves and if I had to I would turn it to face the palm of my hand...it may not be necessary but you never know what can happen (like on a day when you're in a hurry) so it's not worth taking the chance!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I live in Minnesota, so wearing gloves or mitten is NOT optional, esp. with the -30 wind chill we had last week, and the blowing/drifting snow we have today. I wear all of my rings with gloves (driving, shoveling, skiing, etc.) and haven't had any issues with loosened prongs. The gloves and mittens I wear always have a bit of 'room' for the trapped heat (I hate wearing gloves that are so tight I can't move my fingers--what's the point?) and so no trouble fitting my ringed fingers into them. I esp. like the mittens I have that are fingerless but have a mitten flap top, like these: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_088VA46389801P?mv=rr&i_cntr=1327342033032

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I wear gloves over my large marquise, which is 11.5 x 5.5 mm, plus pointy and high set.
I find they fit better when I turn the stone to the inside of my palm.
I cna't imagine not wearing gloves and getting cold,
Of course I do not jerk my ring around.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
thanks everyone for your input...I just got these gloves www.agloves.com and love them because I can type in them. sometimes my hands get really cold!

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1327329874|3109504 said:
I try not to, or if I must I do as DS does and turn the ring palm-side. I also avoid gloves with knitted interiors - may as well minimize what can catch!

Despite the height of the stone I never had a problem sticking my WF ring into gloves or pockets or anything else - those prongs were sturdy! I imagine I'll have to be a lot more careful with this new ring, with the super-dainty super-clawed prongs, though.

threadjack--

Mrs. W 514|1327306207|3109410 said:

Ohh I love mittens!! They really do keep your fingers warmer!
Do you know any good places to get "grown up" mittens that aren't too cutesy for work? I'd love to find some that are suit-appropriate ::)

//sorry slg!

I like knitted mittens that are lined with fleece, leather mittens just look a little dorky to me.
http://www.totes-isotoner.com/product/isotoner+womens+knit+mittens+-+microluxe+lined.do

Etsy has some cute ones for non-business occasions

sorry about the threadjack :saint:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
HA! That will teach me to be confident that I've never had issues with rings and gloves.... :angryfire:

Today, picking my daughter up after college, I take off my gloves, look at my morganite pear in rose gold diamond melee setting --- and what do you think is missing??? THANKFULLY not the morganite (PHEW!) but a teeny tiny diamond. Rats - I knew buying off the internet wasn't going to be the smartest choice, but 'the heart wants what the heart wants'... Now I'm sure it's just a matter of time before more of the melee disappear... :blackeye:

So - revising my advise - be careful with gloves and rings!! :lol:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never had a problem, but then again, my stone is a solitaire, four-prong, platinum head. I do take my ring off if I am going to be wearing gloves and also doing activites like playing at the park w/my kids or doing gardening. But, if I'm running into the store and put my gloves on, I don't worry about it.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I lost a stone from a ring when wearing gloves. I knew it was slightly loose, but wore the gloves anyway. Make sure your setting is secure.

I always take my e-ring off when wearing rubber gloves because the prongs make the gloves bulge and it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results