shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs help with quality!

Meemah

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm really new in the sapphire world but I try to learn every day more and more :)
I really would appreciate your help on this one. I have fell in love with this sapphire but I'm hesitant still since I'm so new with all this and this would be in my ering.. What do you think, does this sapphire look good?
I know most people appreciate darker colors, but I really love light sapphires more (pink/peach). They say it is untreated 1.3 carats VVS-VS. The price would be $230. Is it too cheap to be good? Take it or leave it?
sapp1.jpg

Pleaaaase say take it :tongue:

Meemah

Rough_Rock
Another pic
sapp2_0.jpg

Meemah

Rough_Rock
And one more

Thanks!
sapp3_0.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to decide whether the colour is what you want as this is really a matter of personal taste so I'm not going to comment on the colour but what I can tell you is that I think this will be much paler than it looks in the photos. The black background is pulling out the pink. Can you ask the vendor for a handshot of the gem? That'll give you a better feel for the actual colour. I suspect it will be very very pale - so think white with a hint of pink. Will this look right with your skin tone?

In terms of the cut, this gemstone has a large window I think. It hasn't been photographed head on (and that's how you would judge whether there's a window or not) but the cut itself and all the pictures suggest that there's a pretty substantial window. What that means is that you'll be able to see straight through the centre of the gemstone to your hand and it will be colourless in the centre. Again, to double check, ask the Vendor to send you a photo with the gem centre and straight on to the lens. If you love the stone/colour etc, after seeing the additional photos then you need to think about having a closed basket in the ring you're going to get so that it closes up the window and colour is reflected back to your eye rather than through the gem.

Do you know whether it has been treated? Does it have a lab report? It's a very affordable stone and that makes me wonder about the treatment it may have had - having said that, treatments may not worry you but because this is an e-ring I wanted to bring this point up in case you wanted to ask the vendor.

Meemah

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your comments! It is a good point what you said about the background. I will ask more pictures for sure. But I'm ok about it being pale, delicate gems are my favourites, the ones that doesn't shout out the color that much. The only thing that worries about me is if you can see through it. The ring will be made so that it will cover (at least) the bottom so I guess that will help a bit. I can also give your comment about this to make sure they will try to get most color out of it as they can while making the ring. Do you have any pictures of what you mean exactly?
You can also see video of this sapphire here, maybe it will help http://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-292503.php#
Gemselect can provide some kind of certficate but I guess that's not enough to be sure about anything. I have to say I was hesitant about the price and this being untreated, but they do tell if their gems are treated or heated so I figured the low price is correlating the lack of color. This, together with planetarysource where only places I found this light colors for affordable (200-500) price but I read not so good things about planetarysource. Please do tell if there's more places to find this light sapphires or if you even know gem like this already :)
There will be two smaller diamonds each side of the sapphire (0,10ct). I don't know if that matters, but let me know if this is something to consider also when making the decision of the color. Otherwise - the lighter, the better. I haven't seen these kind of rings anywhere so it's difficult for me to know how it will look.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video helps. The window is not as large as I first thought but there is one. It should minimise fairly well in a setting. Just make sure that there is a basket under the gem (not open).

I'm wondering about the colour now - it's being sold as a light orange (not pink as it looks) so I would definitely ask for a handshot just to make sure you like the colour.

I'm still a little bit concerned about the price -v- treatment correlation. I realise this is being sold as having no treatment (and as you say, Gemselect generally say if a stone is treated) but this price does seem very very reasonable.

Ask them to put it on hold (especially as it's for an e-ring) while you ask the questions so that a lurker doesn't snap it up!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I think the price is perfectly reasonable - the colour is not one that is particularly sought after which helps lower it and the size is only just over a carat.

I would trust Jason to know what he's buying - and he's very good on stating if stones are Be diffused etc.

Obviously at the price you are not going to get an AGL lab report - it would cost more than the stone - but I would consider it very unlikely that this stone has had anything more than low heat. Jason says it's untreated, you could get the mini-report for an extra $20, but I'd probably just ask him straight out if there are things he can point out that made him think it was unheated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a very light toned padparadscha to me, and the sleepy quality of the stone will appeal to some. I think $230 is a very reasonable price for that. It probably has low heat to no heat treatment because the silk is still intact.

Pandora,
I think Jason Brim owns Selectgem, which is often confused with Gemselect - a Thai based vendor. ;)) This gem is from Gemselect.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1328564322|3120343 said:
I would trust Jason to know what he's buying - and he's very good on stating if stones are Be diffused etc.

Jason says it's untreated, you could get the mini-report for an extra $20, but I'd probably just ask him straight out if there are things he can point out that made him think it was unheated.

Pandora, are you referring to Jason Brimm? If you are, I thought his site was Selectgem, not Gemselect...does he have both sites?

Thanks.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1328572579|3120462 said:
Pandora,
I think Jason Brim owns Selectgem, which is often confused with Gemselect - a Thai based vendor. ;)) This gem is from Gemselect.

Oops. It looks like you're not the only one with tired eyes today, TL =)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1328572907|3120469 said:
TL|1328572579|3120462 said:
Pandora,

Oops. It looks like you're not the only one with tired eyes today, TL =)

I know, I overslept this morning big time!! :oops:

Anyways, to the OP, I think it's worth looking at for $230.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Joining the tired eyes club... Jason is indeed selectgem not gemselect... :oops:

Even so, gemselect seem quite happy to declare their Be treated stones which always makes me happy....

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I think the overall look of the stone is quite lovely. I too, would make sure the window would close up. The other thing I endorse is seeing the stone against the flesh tone of a hand, I would hate for it to lose it's delicate coloring by just blenking into your hand.

Personally, I would consider using rose gold to mount the stone itself. That might "amp up" the color enough to keep the stone from getting lost.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour is personal choice but I definitely would like to bring up a few points:
1. It looks a pale pink in both the still pictures and video, but the description says light orange. I wonder which is true.
2. I second the suggestion of handshots because of both what I see (pink versus orange) and know that for some skin tones, a pale coloured stone can disappear on the hand.
3. The window shouldn't be a problem; yes, it is there but seems smallish.
4. The stone appears to be a little sleepy from the pavilion view but perhaps the busier faceting patterns helps in the sparkle department when viewed face up.
5. Price appears to be good for an unheated stone since it is small and not a highly desireable colour. I would not bother with a lab memo for the price. However, you mentioned that it is going to be an e-ring stone, so you might want to take that into consideration.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I don't have much to add, except I think the stone is pretty and I think it's worth ordering for the price.

Meemah

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments! Good to hear the stone is not that bad for that price. I contacted the vendor and they did say it actually looks much more clear irl and they will get new photos. So I suppose there will not be much color in it just like you said.

When you say it can dissapear on the hand due to the very light color, does that mean it looks quite the same as diamond or just a stone that just don't have much color on it? I do like diamonds and (allmost) colorless sapphire would be ok for me as well but not if it looks dull and I have never heard anyone saying about diamonds dissapearing on the hand.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A sapphire will never look quite like a diamond because it has lower RI; it doesn't have the spectral dispersion, only white (if a white sapphire) or flashes of whatever pale colour it has. When everyone refers to the stone disappearing on the hand, they meant that if your skin tone and stone colour are very similar, the stone might blend in too much, making it look like the stone isn't there, or at least not noticeable at all when worn.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results