shape
carat
color
clarity

Black freshwater strand - suggestions/reccomendations pls!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greetings pearl gurus! :wavey:

I am looking to buy a strand of black pearls, not to exceed $200. I'm not a pearl purist, so I'm happy with dyed freshwaters, but want the best bang for the buck!

I am thinking 7-8mm would be good for work, and my age group (30s). Correct me if I'm wrong.

AA+

Also, size - 17" gold chains hang just right. So I'm thinking 18" for pearl strands to account for the thickness of the pearls. :confused:

Here are some vendors' pearl necklaces I'm considering. I would appreciate feedback on the pros and cons of the vendor and the necklaces. It seems that every vendor has black necklaces in a variety of shades, even within a necklace. I like the variety of tones - matches more outfits! :D

The Pearl Outlet
http://store.thepearloutlet.com/freshwater-black-pearl-necklace-p111.aspx

Pearls of Joy
http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/Black-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace-70-80mm_p_53.html

Pure Pearls
http://www.purepearls.com/freshwater-pearl-necklace-17-5-7-8mm-black.html#tips

Pearl Paradise is out of stock for 7.0-8.0mm :blackeye:

Also, do any vendors offer a Pricescope discount? Should I wait for Valentine's Day - do they offer discounts then?

Thanks in advance!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Black freshwater strand - suggestions/reccomendations pl

I love the multi color black strand from Pearls of Joy. I wear multi color Tahitian strands and they go with every outfit. The luster of the pearls seems better than the other strands shown. If you sign up for the news letter at PP you get email alerts with discount codes when they offer them. Right now they are having a valentines day sale and discount for their members. Perhaps the others on your list do also. Why not call and ask?

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

If we are voting here I like the Pearls of Joy necklace best. Love the fact the pearls are different colors in a dark spectum. Happy pearl hunting.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone,

I agree that the Pure Pearls black freshwater looked more greenish-tahitian, but if you look under the black freshwater set, the posted video shows multi-colored pearls that look more like the Pearls of Joy pic.

http://www.purepearls.com/freshwater-3-piece-pearl-set-18-7-7-0-8-0-mm-black.html

In light of losing out on an old mine 9 stone band on ebay, I figured I deserved a consolation prize, and went with the Pearl Outlet necklace. I'm a novice, so I went by price - TPO had a 10% off coupon :appl: :naughty:

Next on my wishlist are some dangles, and silvery-blue pearls

Bluenile has a $50 off coupon for anything $100 and up. I'm thinking about these dangles:
http://www.bluenile.com/freshwater-pearl-earrings_4725?track=si

mynattk

Shiny_Rock

I also cast my vote for the Pearls of Joy necklace. It has a wow factor that the others don't. :love: I even showed my husband the three necklaces and he said "oh wow, that's a no-brainer there" (and he's no jewelry expert!)

As far as discounts go, I know you get a 10% off promo code from Pearls of Joy if you sign up for their email list.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mynattk|1327374947|3110167 said:
I also cast my vote for the Pearls of Joy necklace. It has a wow factor that the others don't. :love: I even showed my husband the three necklaces and he said "oh wow, that's a no-brainer there" (and he's no jewelry expert!)

Keeping my fingers crossed...hopefully the TPO pearls arrive with some "wow"!

Hoping its just the photography, since the Pure Pearls pic for the strand alone looks different from the video that goes with the 3-piece set.

I'll make sure to try to capture some pics when they arrive.

mynattk

Shiny_Rock

oops, I guess I wasn't reading closely enough! yes, pictures when they arrive. I'm sure they'll be lovely 8)

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade

I'm not here to sell just inform so I'll stay out of the "which vendor should I choose" discussion - but as always if you're looking for something particular from a vendor, just ask - we don't bite.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

:wavey: Pinto, Can you share where you got the BN coupon code? There is something I wanted to get but I've been waiting for the right sale or coupon:)

Also, sorry that you missed the OMC band, I HATE it when that happens!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bella_mezzo|1327430830|3110592 said:
:wavey: Pinto, Can you share where you got the BN coupon code? There is something I wanted to get but I've been waiting for the right sale or coupon:)

Also, sorry that you missed the OMC band, I HATE it when that happens!!!

Hi Bella_mezzo! I've been overwhelmed with work, so I'm sorry I missed your post! I submitted my e-mail with bluenile a while back, probably with an old purchase ages ago, so I get e-mails with coupons.

I have received the TPO pearls. And, yes, they do look more greenish-blackish Tahitian. They were relatively inexpensive, in comparison to the other pearls offered, so I have to keep that in mind. There were a couple pearls that I spotted indents on. I never noticed those on the other two strands I have - my 6.5+ akoyas from Pure Pearls and my 5.5-6 freshwaters from Bluenile - white/cream colored pearls. I wasn't as into jewelry back then (5+ years ago...nice jewelry was jewelry from Banana Republic - :naughty: ), so maybe I was more oblivious - being that this was way before I drank PS Koolaid...

I did take pictures - they are on Fi's iPhone. I will try to make time and upload them soon!

I'm also hesitant to wear these new black pearls - it's cold and dry here, so I slather my body with cetaphil cream or Eucerin with alpha hydroxy after I shower at night. I'm imagining my lotion eating my pearls! :confused: :-o :o . Am I being paranoid?

(I was also like this when I got my e-ring...) :rolleyes:

I should really suck it up and break them out soon - if they sit in my drawer, it's like blowing my money on nothing.

I still want those pretty rainbow-y black freshwaters from POJ. Let's see what happens with this TPO-training wheel strand. If I end up wearing them as often as I do my milgrain bezel studs, then I WILL go Pearl WILD!!! (I think Fi would be happier if I shifted my focus from diamonds to pearls, b/c it's more wallet friendly...for now...)

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PearlsOfJoy|1327429330|3110566 said:
I'm not here to sell just inform so I'll stay out of the "which vendor should I choose" discussion - but as always if you're looking for something particular from a vendor, just ask - we don't bite.

Thanks PearlsOfJoy! :lol:

I don't know why, but when something is "new" to me, I like to quietly purchase something on the internet with no vendor interaction. I was like that with my first small diamond purchases. Then as I read and learned more on PS, I ended up becoming very chatty with certain vendors and their reps, and comfortable enough to venture over to PS vendors that were in the locale. I guess I hate appearing uninformed in front of vendors. :oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results