shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a cuprian tourmaline (not paraiba)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for a little while and I am hoping to benefit from your expertise. I am planning for my "upgrade ring" and I really really want a paraiba tourmaline. Well, since I could never afford one (unless I win the lottery), I am happy to try for a cuprian tourmaline.

I love the color of Art Nouveau's cuprian tourmaline [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mozambique-paraiba-tourmaline-in-leon-mege-french-cut-ring.151081/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mozambique-paraiba-tourmaline-in-leon-mege-french-cut-ring.151081/[/URL]

I just have no idea where to find a good quality cuprian tourmaline. I guess I am looking in the wrong places. I want to get a 2-3 carat stone in a caribbean sea color.It is important to me that it has a glow (obviously not in the true paraiba quality). Any suggestions would be great.

Also, I have a couple questions,
1. I work with a computer all day. Do you think I would be able to wear this as an everyday ring?
2. I have no idea what prices are for a cuprian tourmaline. I know they are still expensive but what price (per carat) should I be looking for?

I know paraiba tourmalines and cuprians are always a debate here, but I really love the color and "glow." I wish sapphires came in this color range. :(
Thank you for your help in advance.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum :wavey:

What you're asking for IS actually a Paraiba like Tourmaline just not from Brazil. Paraiba Tourmalines ARE Cuprian Tourmalines the difference is the Brazilians are called Paraibas and other locations (to purests) should be called Cuprians if they have copper.

I'm afraid these stones don't come along often irrespective of location and when they do and are affordable, you have to pull the trigger the minute you see it as it will be gone in the blink of an eye. There just simply isn't the material available. The nearest you'll probably get is here http://www.paraibainternational.com/products.php?category=3 or here if you have a very healthy budget http://www.africagems.com/tourmalines.html or you may be lucky and pick one up being sold on the second hand market.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

RW Wise is worth looking up/at....

cheers--Sharon

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Tourmalines aren't 24/7 stones so you will need to baby it a fair bit.

I don't have experience wearing one, but I have a garnet in my e-ring and I know that TL reckons that most garnets are tougher than tourmalines.

I only wear my ring when I go out or have company over, otherwise it comes off the second I walk through the door. I also take it off if I'm carrying heavy shopping when I'm out (I have a box in my bag for the purpose).

ETA: A large number of dealers will be at Tucson at the moment so the next week or so is not a good one for contacting people!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD, Thank you for your insight. I did know that paraibas and cuprians both are copper bearing but I didn't want to offend anyone that happens to be a purest. I am in love with the stone but I can see I will have to be patient, in order to get a good one.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1328220874|3117659 said:

I don't have experience wearing one, but I have a garnet in my e-ring and I know that TL reckons that most garnets are tougher than tourmalines.

I only wear my ring when I go out or have company over, otherwise it comes off the second I walk through the door. I also take it off if I'm carrying heavy shopping when I'm out (I have a box in my bag for the purpose).

ETA: A large number of dealers will be at Tucson at the moment so the next week or so is not a good one for contacting people!

Thank you. I am a little worried about the stones durability. It's nice to know with the right amount of forethought, it's possible.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1328222903|3117692 said:
LD, Thank you for your insight. I did know that paraibas and cuprians both are copper bearing but I didn't want to offend anyone that happens to be a purest. I am in love with the stone but I can see I will have to be patient, in order to get a good one.

Patience and then the ability to pounce (and worry later) are the key to this type of purchase!

The last one I purchased (see my avatar) literally came on the market and I was in the right place at the right time. It's highly included but you can see the glow. Just keep your eyes open.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You betcha! ;))

I have a cuprian with a scratch on the table! ;( and my other tourmalines have chips, and scratches, and I thought I was being careful. :???:

I've been wearing my garnets all the time, and they hold up really well.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
TL|1328226819|3117780 said:

You betcha! ;))

I have a cuprian with a scratch on the table! ;( and my other tourmalines have chips, and scratches, and I thought I was being careful. :???:

I have several micro-chips and a big scratch on my tsav despite how little I wear it - and I'm not a klutz with my hands either... ;(

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1328230807|3117851 said:

You betcha! ;))

I have several micro-chips and a big scratch on my tsav despite how little I wear it - and I'm not a klutz with my hands either... ;(

I'm too afraid to loupe my garnets, but lets just say, I don't have any "eye visible" damage on those stones, whereas, the tourmalines do have eye visible damage.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1328230909|3117853 said:
Pandora|1328230807|3117851 said:

You betcha! ;))

I'm too afraid to loupe my garnets, but lets just say, I don't have any "eye visible" damage on those stones, whereas, the tourmalines do have eye visible damage.

This is making me want to steer away from the tourmaline. I really love the color but I want to wear it every day and I will be so upset if I spend a ton of money on it and it gets damaged. Thanks for all of the feedback.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any stone can have small chips and scratches from wear, especially if its been faceted.

Tourmaline however really isn't an everyday stone. I love them and have several but I remove them as soon as I'm in the house. I never just 'wear' them. (but then again I never just 'wear' anything except my wedding band!...I need a replacement for that anyway :bigsmile: )

You can still get some non cuprian tourmaline if you're wanting to lower your cost, but the premium for those is in the color/size. If you're a constant louper though, you'll do much better with a harder stone!!

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a fraction of the price, there's always apatite which has the same colour (although not the glow). That said, it is even less of an everyday wear stone but at least it won't break your heart if an inexpensive stone gets damaged as opposed to something that costs in the thousands of dollars.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1328290142|3118331 said:
For a fraction of the price, there's always apatite which has the same colour (although not the glow). That said, it is even less of an everyday wear stone but at least it won't break your heart if an inexpensive stone gets damaged as opposed to something that costs in the thousands of dollars.

Not to mention, it can be risky to even set apatite. I've had one done successfully in a pendant, but just lost a gorgeous one last week to multiple fractures during the setting process. Not the fault of the bench - apatite's just fragile.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cellentani|1328362083|3118868 said:

Not to mention, it can be risky to even set apatite. I've had one done successfully in a pendant, but just lost a gorgeous one last week to multiple fractures during the setting process. Not the fault of the bench - apatite's just fragile.

I'm not crazy about the waxy luster on apatite either, and low RI.

Sorry about your stone Cellentani. :((

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cellentani|1328362083|3118868 said:

Phooey. :(( Saw a neat oval, yesterday. Very tempting--despite the risk!

cheer--Sharon

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Frank S. piece of gem silica

403739_3186157458629_1406567253_3198136_2018829976_n[1].jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results