shape
carat
color
clarity

All I want is a nice little yellow FCD for my collection

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why is it so hard to find a fine example of one of the least expensive colors?

It must weight between 15 and 30 points, with a GIA report - not IGI or EGL or vendor grading.
GIA must have graded it Fancy Vivid or Fancy Intense BUT it must be a clean, fresh and pretty lemon yellow.

Most GIA "pure" yellows have brown, orange, green, gray or dull and dirty undertones.
I want Round, Emerald or Asscher with cut proportions that result in superb light performance.
That's not much to ask?
Apparently, is it? ;(

It's just not out there.
I think the problem is that yellow is so "inexpensive" that, like Rodger Dangerfield, yellows just get no respect.
Since vendors can't make much money on them they don't get the best treatment.

I'm considering buying a larger nice yellow and just sending to DiaGem to cut it to cut specs from KarlK.
But why should I have to p!ss away so much money on what is one of the most affordable colors of FCDs? :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chowzer

Rough_Rock
Hi Kenny

This stone is beautiful but it's quite expensive for this size. Just wanted to thank you for referring me to Leibish I've been contacting their sales and each day still deciding on the right stone. I've been back and forth witht Leibish and Thediamond.com

Leibish have a really good reputation online and in the world, and today when I compareed Leibish's loose yellow diamond for the same 4 C's I found their prices higher than www.thediamond.com

For example: 1.77 Carat, Fancy Yellow, Cushion, VVS2 Certified by GIA this would cost $12,000 where as thediamond.com would cost $2000 less for this stone however Leibish's custom ring for the style that I like would be around $2500 but thediamond.com would range at $4500 I am soooo confused.
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/5901.htm

Do you also happen to know why Cushion Cut for Fancy Yellow Diamonds would cost less than a Radiant Cut? Which cut do you think is better? Thanks for your advice again!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chowzer, I just looked at both sites and thediamond.com is not listing that exact SAME 1.77 Fancy Yellow VVS2 diamond listed at Leibish.
I'm sorry but comparing prices of FCDs that appear "similar" is futile (even if both FCDS are at the same vendor).

I honestly do not know if Liebish is more or less expensive than other vendors.
I do notice that some other FCD vendors often seem to have lower-end stones, with pale drab color and heavily included, or a tiny inventory, or photos with deceptive lighting.

You said, "they had the same 4 Cs".
One annoying thing about FCD shopping is that two FCDs with identical GIA report specs can vary greatly in price on the same day and at the same dealer.

This is because one single GIA FCD color grade allows, say, Yellows over a range of hues, some right in the middle of the huge range, with truly PURE yellow and some that are close to adjacent hues.
Some of those adjacent hues raise the price and others lower it.

For instance one Fancy Intense Yellow can be ABSOLUTELY Pure Yellow right in the middle of the grade, but also another can be near the greenish side, the brownish side, or the orangish side, but not have enough of those secondary hues for GIA to grade them Brownish Yellow, Greenish Yellow or Orangy Yellow.
The GIA Fancy Intense Yellows close to the brown boundary will be cheaper than the GIA Fancy Intense Yellows closer to the Greenish boundary.

Besides hue variation there is color strength variation within the same grade, and this definitely affects price.
(I think Leibish's GG splits up "GIA's Intense grade into 10 sub-grades for color intensity)
A Fancy Intense Yellow that is almost Vivid will be priced higher than a Fancy Intense Yellow with weaker color that is next to the border of Fancy Yellow.

Next colored diamonds are much more rare than white ones so there is little comparison data.
Sorry but comparing FCD prices is difficult at best.

Neither Radiant or Cushion cut is better.
It's personal preference.

I'm sorry I'm not saying what I think you want to hear, but I think I'm speaking some inconvenient truths of FCD shopping.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I could get those cut down I guess.
Again I'd like to hold out for a well cut round, emerald cut or asscher that's 15 to 30 points.

The problem is if I put anything too large with the others it will stick out like a sore thumb and make all the others look more tiny than they already are. ;(
The average weight of the others is 0.22 ct.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results