shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! 2 different settings w/ CAD Rendering for cushion cut

Cushion4Life

Rough_Rock
I'm working with Mark @ ERD. He has provided me 2 different examples of settings for my cushion cut stone and HW-style setting.

Any thoughts on one setting style over the other? Any tweaks or changes you'd make to either one? I'm not sure which of the 2 settings would look "best" or what I gain/lose from going with one over the other.

I am trying to get the least amount of metal possible. No space between center diamond and halo. Negligible outside metal on halo.

THANK YOU!

OPTION 1:

1.1.jpg

1.2.jpg

1.3.jpg

Cushion4Life

Rough_Rock
Re: HELP! 2 different settings w/ CAD Rendering for cushion

OPTION 2

2.1.jpg

2.2.jpg

2.3.jpg

2.4.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Mark did my SIL's setting for her cushion and its fabulous (she has a ring very similar to the second style you posted). Its really gorgeous from all angles. I think its just a matter of what your preference is...do you prefer a cathedral head or the second one? Also be sure that if you want a flush fit with the w-band that the style you choose will accommodate that. My SIL's setting sits flush with her w-band.

Best of luck, no matter what this ring will be gorgeous!!! Come back with pics!!! :appl: :appl:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

both are gorgeous, personally I prefer the first, but they are very lovely!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Must be my perception of security, but IMO, I find the #1 option to be more visually secure. I'm sure both are fine, but I like #1. You still have all the pave on the head and mounting in both.

Personal preference, cushion4life! Its all going to be what you like the best because they both are lovely with minimal metal and maximum sparkle.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

As others have said, I think it comes down to personal preference. Having said that, I prefer the look of the first setting.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Both are pretty, but I prefer the first one. It's really just a matter of what's more pleasing to your eye, you can't go wrong with either!

Cushion4Life

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the comments! I'm actually leaning towards the 1st rendering/style as well. I just like the way it looks from the birds-eye view. Although, I wasn't provided a birds-eye view of the 2nd one, so it may look the same. :?:

Dani - Mark did promise me the w-band would sit flush, as I know this is important to her.

Another question...Mark is using 0.53cts in diamonds for the ring/setting. Is this pretty standard?

I think he's doing 1.3MM diamonds for the halo setting and a 1.9MM shank. I'm sure it will be beautiful and Mark has been doing this for 30+ years! I'm more just curious as to what is standard and if they could be bigger or not? I don't want the halo or shank diamonds to take away from the center stone, but I wouldn't complain if a larger halo (in micro pave diamond size) made the whole stone/ring look bigger and more substantial! :)

Any thoughts? and THANKS!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

I like option #2 better.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the curve of the lines on option #1... it flows with the outside curves.. It's lovely!!! Can't wait to see the finished version. :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just finished reading the amazing story of sna77's new ring for his wife, and after a series of clicks and links, found this which reminded me of your 2 CAD options.

Maybe this might be helpful for you to look at - approx 1/2 - 3/4 down the page:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/teaser-photos-of-my-2-32-g-vs1-michael-b-paris-ring.151559/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/teaser-photos-of-my-2-32-g-vs1-michael-b-paris-ring.151559/page-3[/URL]

Cushion4Life

Rough_Rock

Cushion4Life

Rough_Rock

The one was a steven kirsch and the other had no halo. I want a single halo. The kirsch one seems to have a regular halo and a 2nd halo at 90 degrees????

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

Both are lovely, can't go wrong. Personally I love the cathedral shank of option 1 better. Both will look similar from the top view, but cathedral shanks look so lovely from the left and right side view which is often how I catch myself looking at my rings.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Cushion4Life|1327889573|3114571 said:
The one was a steven kirsch and the other had no halo. I want a single halo. The kirsch one seems to have a regular halo and a 2nd halo at 90 degrees????

The Kirsch design has melee along the edges as well - you can simply request for none instead. I find SK's design very different with the curvatures of the stems and extremly beautiful. It is like option 2 in that it doesn't have the side shanks going up. Yet, it doesn't look like option 2 because option 2 is like a head sitting on top of the ring whereas the SK design is more integrated with the band. It is like the head of option 1 without the shanks going up .. but different because it faces forward.

I am sure Mark at ERD can make the same thing. Just show him the picture.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

CharmyPoo|1327892985|3114608 said:

The Kirsch design has melee along the edges as well - you can simply request for none instead. I find SK's design very different with the curvatures of the stems and extremly beautiful. It is like option 2 in that it doesn't have the side shanks going up. Yet, it doesn't look like option 2 because option 2 is like a head sitting on top of the ring whereas the SK design is more integrated with the band. It is like the head of option 1 without the shanks going up .. but different because it faces forward.

Do you know if the w-band can sit flush with a more integrated head? From the picture I can't tell and earlier he said that's important.

Cushion4Life, out of curiosity -- did you not like rings with just the cathedral? I myself prefer one or the other, but I didn't know if you fancied the combined look!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Of the two options from ERD, I definitely like the first one. The SK ring is quite beautiful and better than the second ERD ring.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Yes - the SK design allows the weddin band to sit flush. I love it and would like to have a setting like that one day.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

CharmyPoo|1327899286|3114665 said:
Yes - the SK design allows the weddin band to sit flush. I love it and would like to have a setting like that one day.
In that case - I agree that the more integrated head is prettier if you go that route! It's less...pointy, somehow, where it meets the band. Definitely looks more secure.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

CharmyPoo|1327892985|3114608 said:

I also really like the more integrated head. I would not put melee on the struts if you want a wedding band to sit flush because it looks like it could scratch?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I also prefer the SK.

Cushion4Life

Rough_Rock

I would not put melee on the struts if you want a wedding band to sit flush because it looks like it could scratch?

Is that in fact true? That is very important to know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results