shape
carat
color
clarity

Okay to clean diamonds and gold with Mr. Clean???

MrsDrP

Shiny_Rock
I went to my jewelry store to pick up a little tub of the Hagerty's jewelry cleaner (the one with the basket and brush). They were completely out of it but my jeweler told me that they use a dilute solution of Mr. Clean. Is this safe? I know it has surfactants and is a degreaser, so it makes sense that it would get oils and grime off of rings, but still....it just sounds very odd to me!

Is it safe for diamonds? rhodium plated white gold? What about other stones such as sapphires, pearls, or rubies? And is it safe for other metals like silver or platinum?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It's what I use on my diamond jewelry and colored stones (not emeralds or opals) but I don't have much that is rhodium plated white gold. Ammonia will strip rhodium, I am not sure Mr Clean contains this but one time I cleaned plated white gold in windex and it was instantly yellower.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's what I use.

As mentioned above, be careful about emeralds, opals, turquoise and a few others but diamonds, gold and platinum will be fine with any cleaning solution that you would even remotely consider getting on your hands and even a few that you wouldn't.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My Dad was a jeweller/owned company and that is what he used. I use it also.

cheers--Sharon

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Windex also works. Dilute it slightly (and it cleans better when its been warmed up).
I just use plain old ammonia (sligthly dilute) which is the main ingredient in all of them, and way way cheaper than any of them (especially the jewelry cleaner).
But don't use it on white gold. Its great on yellow gold and platinum, but will strip WG of the rhodium coating. Disastrous to use on sterling silver, also. and emeralds, opals, coral, pearls (the organic sort of jewels) are very delicate and can't go into ANYTHING. Just wipe those off. (Emeralds of course are not organic, but they are naturally full of cracks and so are usually 'oiled'--have in some fillers that can come out if not handled VERY carefully)
For WG, use very warm water with a splash of some dish detergent such as Dawn.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Not to threadjack, but -- what if you'd like to try un-rhodium-plating something that's partly un-plated itself over time? Could you try Windex then? :twirl: I have a teeny-tiny pave 3/4 eternity from a mall jeweler's -- so it's mostly diamonds -- and the look of 14k WG wouldn't bother me one bit, but I AM curious to see what it looks like on the 1/4 plain shank. Is that crazy?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use dawn dish soap

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1327680872|3113098 said:
HI:

My Dad was a jeweller/owned company and that is what he used. I use it also.

cheers--Sharon

No wonder you have such good taste in jewelry, Sharon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results