shape
carat
color
clarity

The never-ending resetting project

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to wait until I had something to show for the last year of staring bug eyed at hundreds of vintage rings and settings, but I have come to a place where I am not sure what I am hearing is correct.
A little background... Last December, my grandmothers ring mysteriously disappeared (I think I might have left it on our front porch where it could have been taken, but who knows.) Anyway, luckily we had insurance. Unluckily, replacing an heirloom is impossible. Luckily, I found old cut diamonds. Luckily, I found one on Ebay for a great price. There were other dealers who offered more than me, but I promised not to recut the diamond. Yay me! :appl: Oh, and I have pics and the original owners' "story"...really cool to me that it will be added to by our family now.
Okay, when I got the ring, I took it to a friend's jeweler to look at settings only to have him tell me it was trash and that I was screwed. Frantically, took it to an appraiser (well known here in Dallas) who I was quoted one price for the appraisal, but after was charged $70 extra. :angryfire: He did confirm the diamond was a keeper though. Thankfully, since then, I have been able to use pricescope for quite a bit of help and I have had two really awesome ladies (who know who they are on here) help me stumble thru my learning process.
I am using another jeweler locally. I would definitely rather use a known estate/antique dealer, but I just think its better to go local if I am going custom (um...one of my "lessons.")

Here's a pic of the diamond in the old setting below.

My first question is about white gold versus platinum. I have read the threads on here about the differences, and I am impartial to platinum. The patina doesn't bother me. Ease of scratch...no problem. But, the current jeweler seems to have an all out repulsion to platinum. Stating that, when polished, a lot of platinum is lost (versus white gold, which he swears is minimal). He also says that platinum is virtually a waste of money because white gold is just as good. He tends to do a lot of modern jewelry, so I am assuming the shiny white gold is just something he prefers??
1. Is what he is saying correct?
2. Is there a better metal for millegrained (sp?) pieces? Will the millegrain hold better against polishes in a platinum or white gold piece? Or no difference?

Sorry for the long :snore: post. Hopefully the finished product will be more exciting. I will post the CADs when I get them. I tend to suffer analysis paralysis when it comes to this...

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am so sorry that your grandmother's ring was lost/stolen. That's heartbreaking. I'm so glad that you had insurance though...

You chose a gorgeous stone! As for the platinum vs. white gold debate, I'm not a pro, but I do know that I've looked at a lot of vintage settings (mostly in platinum) and the millegrain is still intact. That said, I would imagine if you polished any ring frequently, it will impact the millegrain. Honestly though, I'm not sure how often you'd need/want to polish your ring. I'm all for cleaning my rings so that the diamonds sparkle, but I kind of like the patina...it shows that my ring is standing the test of time. I don't want my ring to look brand spanking new after 10 years of marriage (stones clean...yes!), but that's just me.

I don't think you can go wrong either way really....can't wait to see how you set that beautiful stone!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks YennyFire! By the way, on my inspiration board was your ring in the center. Absolutely perfect in every way. I think your perspective is helpful. I actually like the patina and wear on platinum. I really only got my old ring polished once every couple of years.
Because of budget, I am trying to talk myself into the WG. Interested to see what he has though. I had some tiny French cuts, old mine cuts to throw in there...

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't see this one. Thanks pregcurious! It does confirm what I had always been told. That platinum is displaced rather than lost. I didn't want to argue with the jeweler, but I am going to do more searching. It is a personal preference. I just have to decide what I want. (easier said than done)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww, I'm flattered vinjewels, thank you!

omc111

Rough_Rock
I always have my rings set in platinum or palladium because my skin turns white gold yellowish very quickly and I don't like having to rhodium dip them frequently. I've heard that palladium white gold doesn't turn yellow as quickly or maybe not at all. I've never had a ring made with it so I can't say. I personally like platinum.

Your stone is beautiful. What are the specs?

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I had it appraised when it was still in the old setting and the "approximate" measurements were 8.81 X 8.86 X 4.94
Proportions: Good
Depth: 55.91%
Table: 50.7%
Girdle: Thin - Medium
Culet: Medium
Polish: Fair
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS-1 - VS-2
Color: K - L
Fluorescence: None (lw)
None (sw)

I had it weighed when it was taken out and it is 2.41 cts.

Thanks! If I go by preference, platinum wins, but budget may say WG. Either way, I wonder if some jewelers (the "jeweler" is the person actually fabricating the rings) are not comfortable with some metals?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I ask for the names of the jewelry stores and appraiser mentioned in your post? I'm in Dallas too and am always wanting to know about people's experiences with jewelers here.

And yes - some jewelers are not comfortable with some metals. Either they don't work with them much or just don't like working with them. I have had several try to push me into buying white gold, even though I'm allergic to nickel, and that always just makes me go to a different jeweler.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
distracts, I am using a jeweler here locally. Mansfield Fine Jewelry. I picked them because I have little confidence in communicating what I want thru one person to another I have never met. I am crossing my fingers that, since the owner/jeweler IS the bench, it will be successful. Regarding the others, I am a little hesitant and feel a little odd about posting a bad jeweler (yes, even one that has royally pissed me off :angryfire: ). Is there a way I can PM you the info? I'd be happy to!
Moving forward, here's option #1. I didn't realize they were doing the "simple" version and another that is more complex. I pasted a compilation of my favorites like the "Julia" bezel by JBEG and Yennyfire's ring among others for inspiration :wink2:

The square stones are some french cuts I found on ebay (I LOVE LOVE old Frenchies!)
Here's the first pic
eurodiamondring1.jpg

I am not really sure what to think...Are all CAD images chunky looking? I want an antique look, but I think the CAD makes it look so modern! Anyway, this is a start! I should have the other design tonight or tomorrow.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Your diamond is beautiful. I like the design in the CAD, but agree it looks kind of chunky. Yes, I've read in numerous posts that the ring won't be that chunky, it's just the CAD. Lucky you, you have frenchies too?! Maybe adding some engraving and milgrain all the way around the shank will give it more of an antique look?

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks SparklyOEC :) I have been thru this process and understand the need for the CAD phase is a part of it. lI definitely agree it needs a little engraving. I am trying to be patient ( I have been thru the process before), but I wish they could just draw up a pic before they start spending so much time on a CAD (guessing what I want) It too a month to get this and, although it's pretty, not what I have in mind. Would it be bad to ask they do this? That way, the CAD guy isn't spending so much time only to have to go back to the drawing board, and me more wait time.

I am SO tempted to buy this pretty thing (um...granted they can price this a little more appropriately) and just sell my current diamond.
It is a lot smaller of a diamond, but I am not as interested in size, than just being done. It's a beautiful piece.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/494298-10003B/Custom-Art-Deco-Style-Diamond

I might just be having a moment of weakness...I tend to do that.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Well, another false start...I was told I would have a CAD weeks ago and a finished ring WAY before Mid February. :confused: The CAD I got the other day (truthfully) was not anything I had talked to them about. I was trying to talk myself into it, but just couldn't.
I don't fault the jeweler. I am learning that the people doing the design work have to be either slammed with orders or they just don't care whether or not I have a ring on my finger.
Sooo, they said the first CAD was not the "real" one and promised the one we had discussed by today. Drove up there...nothing. Had to ask for my diamonds back...again.
[Sigh] I am so tired like I feel like I am at the designer's mercy.
So, I am taking the diamonds up to a well known antique jeweler here and I think I am going to sell them and start fresh.

Sorry for the tease! Stay tuned. I will come up with something fantastic.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I know you said you were going to try to get the ring made locally but was wondering if you had seen these settings: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/royal-t-collection-pcid-44.html?

One of the settings looks almost identical to the Ruby Lane ring. I just thought I'd share the link with you since you had issues with the previous designer not getting your vision.

I hope you find the right designer for you (and then come back with lots of pics :naughty: :wink2: )!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Pixies! I am amazed at how resourceful PS'ers are. I would have never found that. I definitely will post if something new happens!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results