shape
carat
color
clarity

Safe to buy vintage ring w/o diamond cert, but GIA appraisal

james88

Rough_Rock
So I found this great ring, but it's vintage so no GIA certificate exists on the actual diamond. It has however been appraised by a GIA gemologist for color, weight (loose) and clarity. Is this a safe bet? Jeweler says they guarantee the appraisal, though I'm not exactly sure what that means.

I wish I had a link to show you but I don't. Thoughts on this? Has anyone ever bought vintage for an e-ring?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Safe to buy vintage ring w/o diamond cert, but GIA appra

I am sure people have, but whether I would buy it would depend on a couple of things. Is there a return period so that you have have the ring appraised by an independent appraiser such as Neil Beatty or David Atlas? As long as you have a return period with a 100% refund and return for any reason, then it might be okay. What is the selling price of the ring? (I have bought a couple of vintage diamond rings with no GIA cert or appraisal but they were not expensive.)

elliemay

Shiny_Rock

I'd try to negotiate a return clause (in writing) with the seller -- contingent on the ring being appraised by someone of your choice.

I just recently bought an OEC on eBay and made sure the seller knew it was going straight to an appraiser (our very own denverappraiser) and heading straight back to him if I wasn't happy with the results. If your seller is confident in the quality of the ring, s/he shouldn't have any problem with your having it appraised.

In my case, my diamond came back as an M, but was appraised (in the GAL report that came from the eBay seller) as a J-K. This was fine with me as M is just about my threshold for colour in old stones and everything else on the report checked out, but if you wouldn't be happy with the price you're paying if the stone comes back as a lower colour, cut, or clarity, it really would be worth agreeing an air-tight return policy with the seller before any money changes hands.

james88

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice. The ring is 5k, platinum 1 ct princess cut with side diamonds. The center stone was appraised as G/H color and i1 clarity, but I could barely see anything. The 2009 appraisal was for 6k and it was done by a certified GIA gemologist.

I really do like the ring. So it sounds like the best thing would be to have it shipped to an appraiser with the option for a return/refund? It's probably going to cost a bundle to have it shipped/returned as it's a small shop. I know they charge for shipping but could I ask to have these costs covered as well?

elliemay

Shiny_Rock

james88|1327678623|3113069 said:
Thanks for the advice. The ring is 5k, platinum 1 ct princess cut with side diamonds. The center stone was appraised as G/H color and i1 clarity, but I could barely see anything. The 2009 appraisal was for 6k and it was done by a certified GIA gemologist.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the "certified GIA gemmologist" -- you'll see that a lot and it isn't a guarantee of quality. The GAL appraisal that came with my ring was done by a GIA graduate gemmologist and was out by 2-3 colour grades. Basically, a GIA gemmologist does not necessarily equal a GIA grading, in my experience.

james88|1327678623|3113069 said:
I really do like the ring. So it sounds like the best thing would be to have it shipped to an appraiser with the option for a return/refund? It's probably going to cost a bundle to have it shipped/returned as it's a small shop. I know they charge for shipping but could I ask to have these costs covered as well?

I doubt they'd cover the shipping costs, though I don't suppose it would hurt to ask. Overnight shipping would be about $45, based on my recent experiences (assuming the shop and the appraiser are both in the US).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results