shape
carat
color
clarity

GAH! what is up with the post office!?!?!?

kt

Shiny_Rock
Such stress that I do NOT need!

I bought some stuff from Dana and while LOVELY they were too similar to what I already had, so I packed it up and put it in the mail (thank goodness, tracked and INSURED!!!) on Tuesday. Usually, stuff gets back and forth from me to him in 2 days and so I took a look at the tracking yesterday for peace of mind.

THE PACKAGE IS IN SAN FRANCISCO!!!!! WTH?!?!?!?!? :angryfire:

But the worst thing is, the current delivery status says "delivery status not updated" after the previous update "out for delivery." SO pissed - my handwriting is actually quite nice and neat so how could they not see it said "NC" and not "CA"?????

Thank goodness for the tracking and insurance; my receipt does read the right town and zip code, so I know I wrote it correctly on the package. And I have it adquately insured, but who wants to go through the pain of filing a claim (something i've never done)? So there's been no update for almost 24 hours and i'm thinking, how hard could this be for them to figure out!?

If I call the post office tomorrow, do you think they can do anything? or do i just have to sit here and wait??

Thanks for letting me vent.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
You can open an inquiry/case with the post office, fwiw. I had a garnet from Barry B that went from Arizona, right past me in KC, and on to New Jersey?!?!? Tracking number showed it "out for delivery" in NJ, and I was pretty freaked out about that, but it did eventually get back to KC (took about 10 days after mailing). It missed my b-day, too, :nono: There was something on the USPS website that I clicked to open a case, and got a call from the post office saying they had no idea what had happened, must have been a sort error.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it's no consolation but I absolutely 100% feel your pain. A sapphire and chrysoberyl from Tan has gone from Sweden to the US and I'm in the UK. Tracking hasn't been updated since the 17th and unless I jump on a plane across the pond, I don't think I'll be seeing my new gems.

Hang in there - at least yours are in the same country. Your parcel will turn up I'm sure. Fingers crossed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh geez, and we wonder why the P.O. are ready to file for bankruptcy. :rolleyes: I'm sure my ranting isn't helping you any and I am sorry to hear about your troubles with the P.O. I hope you'll be able to get the package back on track today!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I reminds me what a risk we all take with our gems when we return them or send for setting etc! insurance all the way baby!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
LD, if it is permanently stuck in the US, one of us can fetch it for you. I live near DC if that helps.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1327333753|3109573 said:
LD, if it is permanently stuck in the US, one of us can fetch it for you. I live near DC if that helps.

Oh Preg don't tempt me! The tracking hasn't changed since 17 January and it hasn't moved or appeared anywhere else. I've got to just accept that I think it's lost :(sad

KT - any sign of your package?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
LD, let us know if you have issues getting a refund. I am guessing you can file an insurance claim with the post? If not, I bet there are several honest PS members who would be willing to help you, and you have nothing to lose because...well, it's already lost. For us, it's not much work to just send the package to you. I have family members abroad, and I know how frustrating it can be to get stuff from the US because of communication and time difference issues.

Hi kt - Wow, this is quite a coincidence. I sold a ring on ebay last week and put it in the mail same day (18th). It was out for delivery at 8 a.m. on the 20th. At 10 a.m., the tracking information said "delivery status not updated," and there it has stayed. I called today (and after being on hold for a good 20 minutes) was told I could open a case and that they have no idea where my package is. Like you, I'm relieved I insured it. But this is nothing new for me... I am constantly having trouble with them and avoid shipping USPS unless I absolutely have to. And they wonder why it's projected they'll be insolvent within 5 years! They are so completely mismanaged and disorganized - ridiculous! Anyway, the lady on the phone told me to contact the recipient to see if they received it. I said, "why on earth did I pay extra for delivery confirmation if I'm just going to have to call the customer like an idiot to see if it got there?!" :mad: She was really nice though so I tried not to take it out on her. But I'm majorly peeved that my customer is still waiting for this item! I'm sure she knows it's not my fault, but still... it's embarrassing and, as a customer myself, I know how much I dislike waiting for a new item.

Well, I hope it all works out for both of us! Keep us posted. And sorry for threadjacking with my own mini rant!

~Autumn

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1327427577|3110556 said:
pregcurious|1327333753|3109573 said:

Oh Preg don't tempt me! The tracking hasn't changed since 17 January and it hasn't moved or appeared anywhere else. I've got to just accept that I think it's lost :(sad

KT - any sign of your package?

Not necessarily, sometimes tracking information doesn't get updated until the actual delivery. Sending you lots of good luck dust LD!! I hope Tan or you have opened an inquiry on the tracking number with USPS.

kt

Shiny_Rock
OMG, i just got a note yesterday from Dana that the stones arrived - and no, the tracking had not been updated since having the package arrive in....ARIZONA!?!?!??! In the end, i'm just grateful the package arrived and the only thing keeping me from going crazy was that I had adequate insurance coverage (not that I have any idea how exactly to go about trying to file for a claim).

I had learned my lesson back last year about always getting tracking when I mailed something to DanielM to set and it took over a week to arrive b/c of the hurricane. That time I didn't track (but was insured) and I ended up being on pins and needles until it arrived. But insurance is a definite!

Overall, the US Postal Service really is quite good - it's honest (compared to many other countries), and it can be efficient when it works well...I think it's just a shame that it seems to have been going downhill lately, and then it's faced with all kinds of financial crises. I'm going to be totally bummed that they are canceling Saturday delivery and first class is going to take longer. I don't know why they haven't been able to keep up with the times, esp when you look at private companies that seem to be able to do well AND turn a profit. Go figure. :((

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kt - fantastic news. I'm so relieved for you.

Preg - very very many thanks for the kind offer. I think the problem is that the parcel is in the ether in NY - it hasn't actually got anywhere and is just stuck in the system! I do appreciate your help though. Sending you a hug.

TL - I've spoken with Tan who has been in touch with the shipper and asked them to re-route but he asked on the 16th when we realised it was going to the wrong country. He hasn't answered my latest email so I'll chase again tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that everybody's parcel turns up!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome news - you see, you just verified what I just said, that the tracking isn't always updated until the actual delivery!! Glad the package got to Dana safe and sound!! Better late, than never.

BTW, filing a claim isn't difficult to do with the USPS, just make sure you keep the original payment receipt and the insurance and tracking receipt. I always have the post office staple all of them together when I ship something out. A check will then arrive in the mail to you. I once had to file a claim, and it wasn't that difficult to do.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes I am glad all is well :) The children are home again; will visit for a day and then go back out on the road :lol:

Everyone I have dealt with on PS has done so well in their shipping practices :appl: KT is always a champ :)

I know I am waiting on things from Thailand myself and it seems to be somewhere in the USA shipped from NY and now is in California to get to North Carolina ???

TL you are spot -on... keep that receipt staple it to the insurance card, and keep it until at least 30 days past when they say it has arrived... People make mistakes and sometimes they tell you it arrived when it was someone Else's stone; I have to keep them for tax reasons forever... but you as the consumer it would not hurt to get a little plastic box just to keep all of them in just in case anything comes up. Just being safe...

This is such a good forum as it is diverse and not only talks about gems; but shipping, covering your rear, etc... Life lessons...

Keep up all the good work my friends and always... Cover Your Rear...

Most respectfully;

Dana

melave

Shiny_Rock
Hi all

I know how you all feel. I have 4 parcels coming from USA and none have made it into Australia as far as i can tell :(

one was posted on the 29th of December and it is showing as being in LA!!!

Starting to get a bit impatient now

kt

Shiny_Rock
Wow, you want to know what's super crazy?? I just pulled up the tracking since it was on my ipad just to see what it would read...and although Dana's gotten the stones back, it still is reading that it only left Arizona!!!! No update since a couple of days ago!!!

A few years ago I used to sell stuff on Etsy and I don't ever remember it being this bad!

BTW - Autumn, I hope your sale arrives at its destination soon! Fingers crossed for you!

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
All kinds of weirdness going on with the postal system these days. I shipped 2 JXR's from here in the US to Australia on Dec 16, 2011. I ended up having to call the PO here as they hadn't shown up after 21 days. I started an official international inquiry to see what the hold up was and the package was finally delivered on January 22, 2012. I had them insured, but really didn't want to have to go that route and deal with a potentially unhappy buyer on the other end. Thank goodness the buyer was super-cool about things and very understanding that it was out of my control as to when they would get there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results