shape
carat
color
clarity

Foodies: Molecular Gastronomy?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
With the popularity of cooking competitions such as Top Chef and Iron Chef, I became aware of all these innovative ways of cooking or in some cases, non-cooking. I was wondering if anyone has tried foods made with these new "scientific" methods? Any good restaurants you can recommend in CA?

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I tried OTOM (now closed) in Chicago. It's by the same chef that runs MOTO.
I thought the food was quite... interesting. Definitely not your typical/traditional dishes. You'll have to try it to see if you like it.
I live in CA but go to Chicago every year. My next stop is Alinea. It's my "dream" to go there since I first saw it on a food blog in 2007.

I believe Providence in LA is part molecular gastronomy. I personally have not tried it but have heard good words.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, where do you live?

Cooking using science is good. Foams/airs are pretty, but ultimately, it all comes down to how it tastes.

I've eaten at Providence. I like The Bazaar much better. Haven't been to ink, yet. I also like Red Medicine quite a lot. Brown butter powder!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I live in the OC. But for a Good recommendation I'd drive to L.A, or San Diego :)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I went to Providence in LA for my birthday last year and they served us alcohol done with molecular gastronomy. The coolest was a screwdriver in what looked like an egg yolk. The taste wasn't all that incredible, but the feeling of popping that egg yolk in my mouth and having it filled with OJ/vodka was incredible!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had dinner at Bazaar in LA. It was fun and enjoyable, and there were a few taste combinations I was tempted to try at home. All said and done though, it seemed it was more about the novelty than the food. I was in good company, which is a must for a meal that's made up of a dozen or more individual bites spaced out over two hours or so!

You might enjoy this article from the Sac Bee, about a couple that plans their travels to include ultimate dining experiences:

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/18/4194678/sacramento-couple-design-their.html

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Ryan Carson is the best in the trade according to many. He offers testings over Pop Up Tiato in Santa Monica with VERY limited seatings maybe 24? the guy is on the move, but well worth traking him down! I've heard is about to open his own restaurant. :lickout:

Nine -Ten, Jason Knibb in La Jolla, serves true pieces of Hawaiian edible art! They make special dining events often. Good idea to sign online to get offers and menus.
The Marine Room, also in La Jolla on Spindrift Dr. DH loves their french twist!
I've also heard great things about Mistral in Coronado, have to check that one out soon =)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I think Heston Blumenthal in the UK was one of the first - certainly he's been doing it since 2004.

He owns The Fat Duck in Bray which has 3 Michellin stars and does a number of TV programmes.

What I've tried I've been impressed by.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results