shape
carat
color
clarity

KIA and Hyulndai POLL

lapelirroja

Shiny_Rock
I was in the market for a new car in November. Was looking at small SUVs/crossovers. We looked at the Hyundai Tucson and were comparing it to the Ford Escape, Nissan Rogue, Chevy Equinox, Mazda CX7, etc. We were looking to lease. Everyone knows car buying involves some negotiation and the first price they name to you can be worked down. When they told me ~ >$550/month was the best they could do it was all I could take to not burst out laughing in the guy's face. My BF drives a luxury car with a payment WAY less than that. Who are they kidding? It was a decent car but I'm not paying more for that than a luxury car.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe|1327315814|3109434 said:
I voted for #4 (I have not and would not buy one).

I've known people who have owned Kias and Hyundais and have liked them, but I'm a Toyota girl. I could be wrong, but I just don't think Kias and Hyundais are among the highest-rated in terms of longevity and safety. I think Hyundai has a better reputation that Kia but I still don't think I'd choose to buy either one.

Actually Kia is better than Hyundai. I owned a beautiful 2008 Kia Optima and would buy one again in a heartbeat! Everything about that car was great and did not scream cheap, then that car saved my life in an accident. No doubts I would buy one again

justginger

Ideal_Rock
1 and 2.

Our models are different down here in Australia, so apologies if you don't know the vehicles I'm referring to.

In 2006 I bought a lightly used (10000 mms) Getz. She was a little "about town" car and did the job well. No troubles...until a hailstorm wrote her off. :(

Based on my excellent experience with my previous Hyundai, I chose to replace her with a new i30. The i30 has been car of the year in its group for 4 years, beating out all competition. It's received award after award and has the highest safety rating offered. It was the second highest selling vehicle, in any class, for the whole of Australia this year. Even the most biased brand snobs here are forced to admit that Hyundai has made a hell of a car. I think this model is being introduced to the States in either 2011 or 2012. Has anyone seen it?

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
The first car my husband and I bought together was a new Huyundai Excel, back in 1996. We drove it for 3 years and did nearly 100,000km´s in it without a problem. It was a great car for us at that time but I don´t know that I´d buy one again. After living in Europe though for 12 years now my tastes have unfortunately become more expensive :))))))

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I've owned a Honda Civic, a Toyota (Scion Tc), and last year I bought a 2011 Hyundai Tucson.

The Hyundai is by far the best of the 3 that I've had.

If I could have had any car, I would have bought a Land Rover. But my needs were: good gas mileage, high safety ratings, iPod hook up that reads on the screen, built in GPS, backup cameras, blue-tooth, leather interior, car starter, heated seats and comfort. I got all that in the Hyundai plus a lot more. I get 25-34mpg highway, 19-26mpg city, which is great because I drive A LOT. The leather is aftermarket (the dealership had it put in for me), and it's very high quality and soft and cleans easily. Mine is fully loaded, which I didn't necessarily need, but it was all they had in black (go figure :cheeky: )

It's not a performance car, it doesn't go from 0-60 in 6 seconds, it's not luxury but it serves its purpose with many great little features that make it special. And it's so comfortable! Yes, it has some road noise, but again, it's not a luxury vehicle. I was bored with my Civic and Scion within 2 months of owning them. I've had my Tucson for a year and I still really like it!

The dealership that I've worked with has been far superior to the Honda and Toyota dealerships as well. When I bought the car, they didn't try to sell me anything-no rims packages, no extended warranties... they didn't even have gimicky sales people. I told them what I was looking for and they didn't put any pressure on me whatsoever. It was a very pleasant experience all around, completely stress free. They were honest with me and worked with me to meet all my needs. I haven't had to bring it in for anything but oil changes so far. With the Honda and Toyota, it seemed like every couple of months there was some issue that needed to be dealt with (even though I'm not hard on my cars).

Good luck with your car purchase, whatever you choose!

I read something recently that said that Honda was failing to live up to its expectations with its recent production. Hyundai and Kia have really stepped up their game in the past several years.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
My fiancé is actually looking at getting a Hyundai soon. From what I've heard, their quality has improved a lot, and from what I've seen, they seem pretty nice.

I don't think that a Hyundai would be my first choice for my own car, and I have actually been looking to get a Honda - but Hyundai wouldn't be at the bottom of my list, either. I would never get a Kia, though.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
4. I'm don't trust that KIA will be in business 5 years from now and would worry about my warranty no longer existing. I find Hyundai unattractive and my husband hates them with a passion.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I'm convinced. What a luxury it would be to be able to buy a new car. I'm still trying to determine if mine can be fixed. If not I'll be looking at used cars. If anyone knows which years and models (and I do note the longevity some of you have had with yours) please let me know. Thanks so much everyone.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
My aunt and uncle are easy-going hippies, who bought a new Kia. It got them spitting mad when they had to take it in the shop 3 times in the first 6 months. Yes, it was all warranty, but not even hippies don't want to get stuck on the side of the road 3 times. :D

Go check out a used Toyota or Honda, with 20-30K miles. Most have another 100K left in them. Don't make a deal until you check out the trade-in price on kbb.com (Kelley Blue Book). Look up your exact model, year, etc. Then offer the dealer the trade in price, give them your phone number and leave if they say no. You'd be surprised how quick they call you. Don't fall in love with a particular car, be flexible.

Most car dealers make more $$ from their used lot than the new lot, usually $2-$3K per car. No reason you need to do that for them. The end of the month is good, the end of the quarter even better. Don't pay for dealer prep, rustproofing or any of that, just cross it off. Be ready with a bank loan (at a great rate) in hand. Otherwise, they'll make a ton on financing you.

I used to tell people to check out Consumer Reports for used car reliability (there is a book in your public library, online is useless) but CR is owned by Sears now, so I'm suspicious. Here's the book if you want to buy it, it will tell you everything you need to know about all the models:
https://m1.buysub.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SinglePageCheckoutView?catalogId=11351&storeId=11351&categoryId=10214&productId=1014427&sourcekey=IW16A

Or you can get your library to borrow it from another library if you give them the name, author, etc. It's usually free, and I wouldn't spend money on it if I wasn't going to keep it.

Remember, all "new" cars are soon "used" so it's not worth it, if you ask me.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, iLander!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1327613539|3112457 said:
I used to tell people to check out Consumer Reports for used car reliability (there is a book in your public library, online is useless) but CR is owned by Sears now, so I'm suspicious. Here's the book if you want to buy it, it will tell you everything you need to know about all the models:
https://m1.buysub.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SinglePageCheckoutView?catalogId=11351&storeId=11351&categoryId=10214&productId=1014427&sourcekey=IW16A

Pretty sure the Sears/Consumer Reports link is a rumor of some kind, not fact, but you can Google research that pretty easily. From CS's site: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/aboutus/mission/overview/index.htm

And, their used car ratings are a compilation of reports from real people who buy/drive the cars and report how many times things needed fixing, etc. I'd also recommend KBB.com as a research tool for used car pricing, getting a CarFax or similar report, as well as having a trusted mechanic look at the car before purchase. Also, test drive it more than once.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please go to edmunds and compare them.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/

Edmunds has a great tool they call "True Cost To Own".
It takes a zillion things into account, like repairs, residual resale value, insurance costs, not just sale price.
Some cars with higher sales prices are cheaper to own over the long haul.

I'd also check out the Honda Fit and Honda Civic and notice their low "True Cost to Own".

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oh NO!! :oops:

I googled and ended up with that link I gave you, but I don't know what the heck that is!!!

I'm sorry; :(( here's the real deal (I think!)

http://www.consumerreports.org

There is a used car buying guide on Amazon from them, so maybe that will help.

I did look up the Sears thing and rubybeth is right; it was just a rumor.

Phew!

It's been a crazy day for me . . .

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
You guys are so sweet!!! :))

Don't worry about me though. I'm an ace at buying cars, new and used. I know. Who'd a thunk it? LOL!

Still, I think it's great to add information to a thread like this! You never know who you might help. :wavey:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck Danny!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey: Danny - what did you end up purchasing? did you go new or used? Did you get a Kia or Hyundai?

"enquiring minds want to know" (brought to you by the National Enquirer marketing geniuses! :lol: )

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son has a Hyundai genesis that I am jealous of but I am a loyal Toyota customer.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
FI's mom bought the Kia small SUV over the summer, and she likes it. It's cute, and it has been a good car thus far!

I bought a Subaru forester recently because the resale value was a bit better. And because that's what I wanted, dang it! ;P

Have you considered buying a mainland car and shipping it? When I moved to Maui in 2003, it only cost about $1,000 to ship a car. I dunno if prices have changed considerably, but it might be better fo' ship 'em than pay that ridic $4k island fee!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
#1... DH bought a Hyundai Elantra when he was in college. We still have it, 8 years later, and there have been very few issues with the vehicle. It doesn't have the best ride ever, but it's the economy Hyundai, not a luxury sedan!

We would definitely consider buying another one. As long as a vehicle is reliable, it has my vote. I don't spend enough time in a car to care about bells and whistles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results