shape
carat
color
clarity

Give reason for returns?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I am trying to become more comfortable with returning stones when they don't work for me. I always feel bad about it and worry that I am being an annoying customer and/or that the vendor is going to take it personally. Am I the only one like this? When you return a stone, do you give a reason to the vendor? To the vendors out there, do you prefer to know the reason(s) why a customer is returning a stone, or does it not matter?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1324431209|3085662 said:
So, I am trying to become more comfortable with returning stones when they don't work for me. I always feel bad about it and worry that I am being an annoying customer and/or that the vendor is going to take it personally. Am I the only one like this? When you return a stone, do you give a reason to the vendor? To the vendors out there, do you prefer to know the reason(s) why a customer is returning a stone, or does it not matter?

I usually tell the vendor why I am returning it. I have no problem with that, and if a vendor takes it too personally, then well, I don't think that's a good selling point for future business. Sorry.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I don't like returning stones either. I've only ever returned 1 because it was completely _not_ what I requested. When I returned it, I basically said that I had requested one color and they sent me something else. This was after multiple emails and an extensive phone conversation about the color. I didn't feel badly at all, and I would never buy from this vendor again. For all my other purchases, the vendors have been very honest, so I have not had to return those stones. I have only purchased 11 stones through the internet, so my experience is limited.

If you asked for X and got Y, I think you have the right to say that just bluntly and return. If you just don't like it, I think it's okay to say you don't like it in person.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, in terms of today's experience,the colour and cut were as described. It was a beautiful stone in many ways. However, the colour had shades that I didn't love in some lighting, and a very obvious (to me, anyway) half and half extinction that I couldn't seem to get past. I really really like the vendor. I was going to say why I was returning the stone in my email stating that intention, but my DH said there was no reason to. I didn't want to knock the stone (figuratively speaking) unnecessarily. I have kept stones in the past because I felt like maybe I was being too picky. Just wondering what others do, and/or what vendors prefer. Would pointing out something like half/half extinction be an insult to the cutter?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1324439649|3085796 said:
Well, in terms of today's experience,the colour and cut were as described. It was a beautiful stone in many ways. However, the colour had shades that I didn't love in some lighting, and a very obvious (to me, anyway) half and half extinction that I couldn't seem to get past. I really really like the vendor. I was going to say why I was returning the stone in my email stating that intention, but my DH said there was no reason to. I didn't want to knock the stone (figuratively speaking) unnecessarily. I have kept stones in the past because I felt like maybe I was being too picky. Just wondering what others do, and/or what vendors prefer. Would pointing out something like half/half extinction be an insult to the cutter?

I bought a stone from a highly acclaimed, multiple award winning lapidary that you all love, and it had half/half extinction big time. I told him so, and I had no problem speaking my mind. I was really upset about it too because I expected so much more from someone that everyone raves about. If I'm paying a signficant premium on a precision cut gem, and I'm unhappy with the faceting, I would say so to the vendor. If you pay a premium for something, I don't care what it is, you should expect your money's worth. I just don't get why people are afraid to upset gemstone vendors? Life is too short, and we all work too hard for our money, and if you don't like something, send it back. I think reputable and professional retailers would know that returns are part of life, and they deal with them in an appropriate manner.

soulwindy

Rough_Rock
I don't like returning stones either.

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
I prefer buyers who aren't happy with their purchase, return it for refund. Reasons are nice, not necessary - it's enough that the buyer wants to return it. Faceted colored stones' appeal can be very personal, and when it comes to opals - oy. Even in this internet era, word of mouth is very important - if a buyer tries a stone and it doesn't meet expectations, they should return it.

A tiny soapbox, then I'm done. ANY colored stones seller who charges a "restocking fee" to accept returns, is probably untrustworthy and to be avoided.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It is very important to know why a stone was rejected. If we don't know we can't improve.

If a stone comes back as 'too small' I can't change much (other than ask people to study the stone online before buying it).

If the bride has run away I also can't improve that either.

If the color was disappointing, or the cut was no good, well, then I can bite my a.. and try to do better.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I usually state my reason for the return. I have returned plenty of stones and I feel like the main reason for doing so is that they just don't appear as they did in the photos (I still can not understand why some vendors use photos that are so unrepresentative of the stones, I would think this causes plenty of returns).

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I choose vendors that offer a "no questions asked" return period, I do always provide a reason for a return. Sometimes the reason given can provide useful info to the vendor (update the photo, clarify the description), but honestly I can only think of two instances a stone did not meet a description (it said neon and I saw no neon; though it said OEC style cut, it just had an open culet and no other OEC attributes).

Most of the time my reason for return is subjective - for example, though it matches the posted photo and description, in person it doesn't meet the purpose intended (doesn't go well with existing sidestones, or doesn't fit existing setting), or in person the stone turns out to be too similar to a stone I already own, or in person the stone just doesn't work for me.

I don't abuse the return system but I do not feel bad about utilizing it - and the online vendors with whom I choose to do business understand that returns are a fact of business.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
We all return stuff we do not like; whether it be a toaster or a gemstone...

A good vendor will understand anything and believe me we hear everything to nothing... We all want you to be happy as we know you will not see eye-to-eye on everything like us as vendors.

You must respect your client; just as the client respects the vendor; it is a two way street... Never feel bad about returning something if it is just not what you wanted, or you have to spend the money on a broken heater, etc. as we all are humans and stuff happens...

I can not tell you how many times I have sent facet rough back or even a poorly cut gem parcel back as they were not what they said; they altered pictures to where it did not even look like the same mineral species...

I will not discuss my policies as that is taboo; but I will say no one should ever feel ashamed or upset in returning a gem to a vendor; as long as you stay within the guidelines of their polices and you do not have to say anything; but me as a vendor sometimes just like to hear; " it just did not ring my chimes " that is all I need to know :)

Merry Christmas to ALL :)

Most respectfully;

Dana

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I make returns I always let the vendor know. Most do like the feedback as long as its presented in a constructive manner. .

Like TL, if I return something, no problem saying what I'm thinking. (I hate returning anything which is the biggest problem :lol: )

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is a non-precision cut stone (or not going back to the lapidary), then I'll tell the vendor the reason for the return. Usually, it's not as I expected colour-wise, probably an unexpected colour shift or some inclusion that is visible to me. When it comes to precision cutters, many are very proud of their skill (and rightfully so), therefore I am more tactful about the reason for the return if it is a cut issue such as extinction. Depending on how well I know him/her, I may say nothing at all.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1324480622|3086029 said:
If it is a non-precision cut stone (or not going back to the lapidary), then I'll tell the vendor the reason for the return. Usually, it's not as I expected colour-wise, probably an unexpected colour shift or some inclusion that is visible to me. When it comes to precision cutters, many are very proud of their skill (and rightfully so), therefore I am more tactful about the reason for the return if it is a cut issue such as extinction. Depending on how well I know him/her, I may say nothing at all.

I noticed this 'sensitivity' too, and you know what, I consider it constructive criticism when I tell them the problems with a stone. If they give me an attitude, then I have a problem with that. I will say that the above vendor that I mentioned, who I told about the half/half extinction, did take it well. I doubt he'll ever cut a stone like that again (and I haven't seen one on his site since like that).

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, yeah. I've had a precision cutter "correct" me when I had been (apparently) insufficiently tactful when giving my reason for the return. In this case, the stone was quite a bit darker than the photo had led me to expect, and since I was going to be bezeling the stone, I decided to return it. I was told that a well-cut stone wouldn't darken in a bezel, and rather than argue, I just let it pass. I've actually never had any stone that didn't alter in appearance a tiny bit when it was set, especially when bezel-set. I felt badly, because I really hadn't intended to offend this cutter, who does fabulous work, but, oh well!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1324485463|3086092 said:

Oh, yeah. I've had a precision cutter "correct" me when I had been (apparently) insufficiently tactful when giving my reason for the return. In this case, the stone was quite a bit darker than the photo had led me to expect, and since I was going to be bezeling the stone, I decided to return it. I was told that a well-cut stone wouldn't darken in a bezel, and rather than argue, I just let it pass. I've actually never had any stone that didn't alter in appearance a tiny bit when it was set, especially when bezel-set. I felt badly, because I really hadn't intended to offend this cutter, who does fabulous work, but, oh well!

That's not true. A well cut stone will typically have better light return, but if a stone is naturally extinct, it doesn't matter how well it's cut. A bezel will only make matters worse.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I dont feel the need to say more than "this stone doesn't work for me". I try not to get into discussions about merits or detriments since I'm returning the stone not negotiating about it. There is nothing a vendor can do about a gray cast, or a shallow depth that makes the tilt window appear in picoseconds of arc. Bottom line is it doesnt work for me. If I am working with the vendor trying to find something quite specific I will tell them why a stone failed to meet my criteria, because they need to know before they send out another contender to me. If I thusly explain a stones shortcomings with no intention of having the vendor find me an appropriate one, then I would think I was leading the vendor on. Better to say less than too much.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1324492869|3086196 said:
Aoife|1324485463|3086092 said:

That's not true. A well cut stone will typically have better light return, but if a stone is naturally extinct, it doesn't matter how well it's cut. A bezel will only make matters worse.

I know that, you know that, and I suspect a majority of the regulars here in CS know it, but apparently not everyone does!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A while ago, I thought about what I would do if I were selling stones and that made me a lot more comfortable returning stones and helped me in figuring out what I would say. I know that I would never want negative feelings; I'm too much a believer in kharma. The vendors that I do repeat business with have been incredibly gracious about the returns, though I can't say that I have ever returned a stone due to a problem with their cutting. I have dealt with other vendors that have not been as gracious - in fact some have been downright rude - and I probably won't go back.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
NKOTB|1324431209|3085662 said:
When you return a stone, do you give a reason to the vendor? To the vendors out there, do you prefer to know the reason(s) why a customer is returning a stone, or does it not matter?

It matters a lot to me. I’m constantly looking for ways to improve my services and constructive customer feedback can be very helpful. Knowing my description was faulty or incomplete, or perhaps that the images didn’t correctly capture the gem’s color or cut helps me a lot. I don’t expect to be able to please everyone but I want to come as close to that goal as possible.

Gem purchases are extremely personal. No two people have exactly the same tastes, the same color preferences or the same sense of individual style. And no gem really looks the same in an image as it does in 3-D. Gems have “life,” changing character moment to moment as they move in the light and still images just can’t capture that.

I really want my customers to see my stones in their own environment and lighting before making a final decision on buying. That way there can be no misunderstandings. If they decide to return a stone and tell me why, it gives me another chance to win their confidence. All vendors want happy customers.

Richard M (Rick Martin)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like returning stones either. I admit my feelings were hurt when I sent back two stones to a vendor and was told that I basically didn't understand what I was looking at. I did understand and since I had two nice stones of the same type it was easy to compare. I also want to say that I thank vendors like Dana, Tan and AJS who make me feel very comfortable with my purchases.

TL gave me the best advice and I have thanked her before. She told me if a stone does not "knock my socks off" then I should return it. My humble collection has vastly improved since I took her advice and I am not looking back. Thank again TL. :)

talyorswift31

Rough_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
talyorswift31|1324620591|3087346 said:

No one does, as it's time consuming, and who wants to pay for S&H back to the dealer. It's a pain. That's why you should always ask the following questions up front

1) What is the color shift in various lighting?
2) Does it have grey (if it's a cool stone) or brown (if it's a warm stone), and does that color come out more in certain lighting? Know that some gem dealers cannot see modifiers, so if they cannot, well, I just use my best judgement based on the species of gem and the photo.
3) Does it go extinct and if so, does it go extinct more in one lighting than another
4) Some dealers understand the GIA gem set color grading system, so you can ask what the hue, tone and saturation is. I often ask about tone with some gems because some species, like red family garnets, or blue spinels, tend to go very dark. Note some gem dealers don't really have the same conception of saturation and tone as you may, so what is one saturation and tone level to you, may be much more generous to them, and some cannot see hue properly either (or maybe I can't!).
5) ALWAYS ask about treatment on gemstones that commonly have treatments. I avoid some stones that have non-detectable treatments these days, but that's up to you. I would be particularly careful about any kind of corundum (sapphire or ruby).

Also be leary of gems that are photographed on a darker background, as they probably won't look as bright IRL, or photos where there are tweezers and the tweezers look super bright (light is being flooded on the gem). I also personally stick with medium to lighter tones. I don't care much for medium dark and darker tones. Understanding the gem species you're looking at really helps to identify what is the optimal saturation and tone. For example, I was on a violet spinel rampage for awhile (kind of still am), and I know what tones to avoid, as they also tamper with the saturation. I also avoid stones that have a low RI and tend to be greyish or brownish. If you're not going to get optimal color, then why bother with a "glass-like" look?

Since I have been following the above rules, I have had much less returns, and actually some nice surprises/bargains. :bigsmile:

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don't sell on-line for lots of reasons. One important one is that I like to get to know my clients and build relationships. When someone contacts me about something in the catalogue that's the start of a conversation which may or may not end in a sale.

I keep records of what people buy, and what they return. It helps me to know why someone returned something, both so I can evaluate my own cutting, descriptions and photos but more importantly so I can know what floats a particular client's boat. The next time that client calls, I have a much better idea of whether s/he'll be happy with a particular gem or not.

The reason for return doesn't change my willingness to take something back. I never, ever want a person looking in their rock box and regretting a purchase from me. Getting a reason does make it easier for me to make good recommendations in the future.

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lelser|1324668226|3087609 said:
I don't sell on-line for lots of reasons. One important one is that I like to get to know my clients and build relationships. When someone contacts me about something in the catalogue that's the start of a conversation which may or may not end in a sale.

I keep records of what people buy, and what they return. It helps me to know why someone returned something, both so I can evaluate my own cutting, descriptions and photos but more importantly so I can know what floats a particular client's boat. The next time that client calls, I have a much better idea of whether s/he'll be happy with a particular gem or not.

The reason for return doesn't change my willingness to take something back. I never, ever want a person looking in their rock box and regretting a purchase from me. Getting a reason does make it easier for me to make good recommendations in the future.

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

That's another thing, a return may also help a vendor understand your taste preferences. I know once a vendor has a good understanding of what the client likes, then it's a better buying/selling experience and relationship.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have always loved what I've purchased so I have no reason to return. BUT.. I think that as some of the trades people have stated - its best to give a reason. They can not improve their product/service/quality if they don't realize that to a consumer, there is a flaw.

It is hard tho. I'm a real weakling when it comes to returning something that I have to deal with the owner personally. I just crumble! I talk tough---- but don't believe it!

(still - better to give a reason, that's my bottom line)

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I find it most difficult when it's a precision cutter, as I consider them artists. Given the amount of work they can put into a stone, I try to be sensitive to that fact. Some may even feel a personal attachment to some stones.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Some very helpful tips and suggestions!

Kickin_it_Pink

Rough_Rock
I usually only give a reason for the return if I like the seller, or I think they will take the feedback positively.

I don't bother with feedback if the product is clearly not as described (windows, darkness), or if there is a fundamental difference of opinion (my opinion is right btw, I am the buyer... if I sense the seller will disagree, I will just say it wasn't what I was expecting and thank you.)

Some sellers treat me and my business as important, even when my purchases are lightweight, and I like that - I give good feedback and recommend them to others.

When a seller treats me like I am getting a deal or a favour and I should just be happy with what I get, I really get cranked-up about it! It is money, and if they didn't need it, then why be a seller at all? If a seller won't take the time at the beginning of the sale for my business, then I won't take the time at the end when it goes back.

Except for a couple of cranky sellers... Sometimes if you want a good deal you have to tickle a couple of bellies and wait paitiently for their mood to change.

my $ 0.02

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kickin_it_Pink|1327341453|3109686 said:
I usually only give a reason for the return if I like the seller, or I think they will take the feedback positively.

I don't bother with feedback if the product is clearly not as described (windows, darkness), or if there is a fundamental difference of opinion (my opinion is right btw, I am the buyer... if I sense the seller will disagree, I will just say it wasn't what I was expecting and thank you.)

Some sellers treat me and my business as important, even when my purchases are lightweight, and I like that - I give good feedback and recommend them to others.

When a seller treats me like I am getting a deal or a favour and I should just be happy with what I get, I really get cranked-up about it! It is money, and if they didn't need it, then why be a seller at all? If a seller won't take the time at the beginning of the sale for my business, then I won't take the time at the end when it goes back.

Except for a couple of cranky sellers... Sometimes if you want a good deal you have to tickle a couple of bellies and wait paitiently for their mood to change.

my $ 0.02

Funny you should say this right now. I've had purchasing experiences of both kinds recently, and that was just at the sale level (i.e. no returns, at least not yet). I guess I know who to "bother" with future purchases.

Thanks for your $ 0.02. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results