shape
carat
color
clarity

why is a ratio of 1.5 to 1.75 the "ideal" for Emerald cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
aren''t those the super skinny ones? i dont think ive ever even seen one that lean

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that long stones are common, but you will find some up to 3:1 without much work.
2.gif

I think these look great on long fingers - not very bright stones, but interesting and mostly used in unusual designs to boot.

1.7:1 does not appear all that "skinny" (see below), or does it ?

BTW.
34.gif
Never heard of those proportions to be called ideal - just "preffered by trade" and some shops would put their signature on different numbers: BN calls 1.3:1.4 best and there surely are other branded versions. There doesn't seem to be any strong prefference for any set proportion and then... these numbers do not carry all that implication of potential brilliance and overall cut quality as the "Ideal" word carries for rounds.

170EC.JPG

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
that ring you posted.................................................i have just had an aneurysm

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Ana: is that 40 carat D VVS Emerlad yours????????

moosewendy

Rough_Rock
It''s not considered ideal. Shape is a matter of personal preference, not a cut quality issue, but the most popular shape is probably 1.3 to 1.45 to 1. Longer stones have a somewhat smaller following, and in fact, are sometimes discounted due to less robust demand. I don''t know where the idea that 1.50 to 1.75 to 1 is preferred originally came from, but it definitely does not reflect consumer preferences over the past 20 years or so.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
actually i read it on pricesccope under fancy cut guide/cut and such..............i agree of course. I just bought a 1.35 and was told by one person it was too thin and the shoulders were too cut "needed to be squarer with very short shoulders" more or less. This is a bench jeweler who is partial to asschers and blockier EC''s-------i actually like a blockier EC myself but unless you can get over 4 carats they arent long enough (for my fingers)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results