shape
carat
color
clarity

Super Ideal Cut - I vs. J ????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lachance22

Rough_Rock
The following spec''s pertain to this question:

1.5 - 1.6 cts
VS1 - SI1
ACA
Excellent HCA Scores

Is there any real noticeable difference between an I and J in color when the stone is cut to perfection? What about from H to J? The difference in price is usually around $1,000 and I am biting my tounge, but don''t want to be disappointed.

diamond island

Rough_Rock
I think J is fine and probably cant tell the difference between J and and I, but H and J is probably noticable. This is table down. Face up I would think it is not noticalbe between the H and J to the regular person.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Color by grading is performed while the stone is face down. How the color appears face up can vary a lot, so best to have an expert see it

Sounds however like your''re shopping and don''t have the stone to see, ask the seller how the stone faces up with others that he has in the same color grading. That may provide information for you to make a decsion properly.

Rockdoc

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm if I had a I stone and a J stone and the price diff was $1k with what you noted in specs..assuming they are both excellently cut...it would be hard to choose. $1k is alot but if you are spending, say...$11k, then $12k isn''t too much of a stretch.

I would be hesitant to buy a J unless I really wanted the size or something like that....I would probably consider an I (I have an H stone and love it)...and think that you''d probably see some color change from H to J. From I to J is hard to say, each stone has such a personality and everyone''s eyes are different.

If you can see them both, I would, even if it means shipping them both and returning one. That will tell you for sure. Good luck!
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2004 10
6.gif
8:20 AM
Author:lachance22
The following spec's pertain to this question:

1.5 - 1.6 cts
VS1 - SI1
ACA
Excellent HCA Scores

Is there any real noticeable difference between an I and J in color when the stone is cut to perfection? What about from H to J? The difference in price is usually around $1,000 and I am biting my tounge, but don't want to be disappointed.
Between an I and J, 2 things come to my mind.

Is the setting open or closed (bezel or prong) and between these 2 factors is the metal white or yellow gold. I think I would choose j and a bezel setting in yellow gold. I would also choose J if the stone was set low, close to the base of the ring.

Preference is yours, but typically I would not mount anything below an I in white gold/platinum.

Face up unmounted I think you would be able to notice a subtle difference (between H & J), depending on your peepers. Both mounted in yellow gold vs. white you might see more of a contrast with the 2 mounted side by side in white gold.

The difference being more definite in h to j vs. i to j also factoring in what type of metal and style of ring you choose..
35.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I''m hearing numbers on 2 stones and both are very similar my next questions pertain to minor facet cutting as that can change the appearance of the stone.

Questions like ...

a. What is the average lower girdle facet length or depth?
b. What is the star facet length?
c. What are the upper girdle angles?

Peace,

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2004 6:10:58 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut

Date: 12/11/2004 10
6.gif
8:20 AM
Author:lachance22
The following spec''s pertain to this question:

1.5 - 1.6 cts
VS1 - SI1
ACA
Excellent HCA Scores

Is there any real noticeable difference between an I and J in color when the stone is cut to perfection? What about from H to J? The difference in price is usually around $1,000 and I am biting my tounge, but don''t want to be disappointed.
Between an I and J, 2 things come to my mind.

Is the setting open or closed (bezel or prong) and between these 2 factors is the metal white or yellow gold. I think I would choose j and a bezel setting in yellow gold. I would also choose J if the stone was set low, close to the base of the ring.

Preference is yours, but typically I would not mount anything below an I in white gold/platinum.

Face up unmounted I think you would be able to notice a subtle difference (between H & J), depending on your peepers. Both mounted in yellow gold vs. white you might see more of a contrast with the 2 mounted side by side in white gold.

The difference being more definite in h to j vs. i to j also factoring in what type of metal and style of ring you choose..
35.gif
I think Josh'' s points are are well taken. I have seen a superior cut J in person (1.5 cts) and from the top, I couldn''t tell a difference against a G. From the side (pavillon) view, however, I could see a slight warmth to the J. I would purchase a J in a minute if i didn''t have several wedding bands all in F-G ranges ( I was concerned about that much of a chasm in the colors). Many people here have incredible J and even K stones...It''s really up to you.
1.gif

I''d also suggest seeing both in person to determine what your preference is.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think if you looked at the spectra charts etc of D-F there would be about the same amount of color difference as I-J.

I is a lot cheaper than H because there is a big difference - J is cheaper agian for the same reason.

Cut helps when you look from the front - but does not make much difference from 45 degrees.

When dirty 9almost all the time) - you will see the color difference.

colornoEG.jpg

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
As people have said it''s personal preference. Many are fine with Js. I''ve bought E,F,G,H. I also bought a J and sent it back. I didn''t care for the warmth. My personal cut off is H.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can start seeing color below I that said a gray j-k could be one nice buy.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, it may or may not show much... depending as much on who'se looking as anything. You may not be wearing that diamond on a white sheet of paper either, so there will never be that grading-friendly color background close to the stone. Setting makes some difference too.

Set diamonds receive split color grades: if not certified loose, either of those stones may be called "I-J" color... if lucky to have them close. I don't think a picture can help with this - seeing the diamonds would
7.gif

Instead of the real deal, it may not be very hard to look at some H and J graded diamonds (comparablke size would be nice, but above 1 ct would do IMO) in a jewelry shop. The worst the cut is, the more color shows... so if there is no ideal cut for inspection, you will get a fair impression of what these grades look like in person and in setting.

Just my 0.2
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I was on a field trip to the jewelers once and picked out an H from an F. Does that mean I'm color sensitive? I don't think so. But I did notice a difference. That said, it wasn't a negative thing, the H was still a very clear and bright stone. I think it's all relative and a well cut J would be stunning. Sure, between the H & J you probably would notice if they are side by side, but I & J, nah, I don't think so. In the real world, once it's set, you will not be in a situation to compare it on a daily basis and will probably not even notice. Personal preference so good luck with your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results