shape
carat
color
clarity

how many of you girls know how to play the piano?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:)

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I can. My piano is still at my mothers home. Since I have a full size keyboard with all the bells & whistles, I'm thinking of giving it to my niece. I would love for her to learn the piano.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to be able to, but I have not touched one other than to help move it from across the living room to the family room in my parents house in like 10 years at least!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Not me, unfortunately. I wish I did. I learned twinkle, twinkle, little star when I was 10..... Does that count? Ha ha.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of my nieces play the piano.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I studied for 12 years, was the first student to play for my high school orchestra, and was encouraged to audition for Juillard, Jacobs School of Music at I.U., etc. I quit lessons when I was 16. I still love to play--it's a wonderful skill to have, and the basis of many an instrument.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire, can you stop calling us all "girls"? I suspect we are all past the age of puberty 8)

And nope, I can't play.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, I know how to play the piano. My piano is 21 square feet, I've had it for 11 years and it cost £200.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess that would depend on what you mean by "play"! There's "play" as in being able to sit down at the piano and play a piece of music in front of a group of adult to entertain them or play so that they can sing along. Then there's "play" as in "I learned to play years ago but wouldn't dare to play in public now". I am sure that there are many other places along a long continuum. I saw above that one of our posters (Monnie) was Julliard material! If she's at the far right of the continuum, I am a couple of dots in on the left: three years of piano lessons.

Since others have mentioned family members, I will say that my daughter was a much a better natural pianist than I was. Her teacher was sorry she stopped. It was her first instrument. She could play anything she picked up, however, and she had gotten quite good for her age at the cello when she became ill and stopped playing.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1326546529|3102829 said:
I guess that would depend on what you mean by "play"! There's "play" as in being able to sit down at the piano and play a piece of music in front of a group of adult to entertain them or play so that they can sing along. Then there's "play" as in "I learned to play years ago but wouldn't dare to play in public now". I am sure that there are many other places along a long continuum. I saw above that one of our posters (Monnie) was Julliard material! If she's at the far right of the continuum, I am a couple of dots in on the left: three years of piano lessons.

Since others have mentioned family members, I will say that my daughter was a much a better natural pianist than I was. Her teacher was sorry she stopped. It was her first instrument. She could play anything she picked up, however, and she had gotten quite good for her age at the cello when she became ill and stopped playing.

Deb/AGBF

Yes, I guess I would fall into the latter (far left I fear) category unfortunately. I took piano, organ and clarinet lessons (we had the piano downstairs and the organ upstairs) throughout my childhood until I went to college at age 16. So, I used to be able to play fairly well but have not played for over 20 years and am not even sure I can still read the music! :((

Dancing Fire, can you stop calling us all "girls"? I suspect we are all past the age of puberty 8)
I for one don't mind Dancing Fire. I rather like it when you call us "girls". :cheeky:

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I did up to Grade 6 piano & theory.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
DF are you keeping a journal? The amount of personal info your threads have churned up is alarming... and a little creepy.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1326531585|3102795 said:
Yes, I know how to play the piano. My piano is 21 square feet, I've had it for 11 years and it cost £200.

You've got me curious.
I've heard pianos described based on their length, like a 6 foot or a 9 foot, but never by square feet.

I ain't no goil, I'm a boil but I play piano.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
kenny|1326564221|3102956 said:

You've got me curious.
I've heard pianos described based on their length, like a 6 foot or a 9 foot, but never by square feet.

I ain't no goil, I'm a boil but I play piano.

Sorry Kenny, it was just a (slightly lame) joke, on DF's last question, when he asked people to tell him the square footage, price and year of purchase of our houses. I just thought I'd add the extra information for him here too.

(My piano was inherited, I've had it all my life, I have no idea what it cost and I don't know what it measures in square feet.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: Gottcha.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1326526489|3102783 said:

And nope, I can't play.
then how about old ladies?.. :devil: :lol:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hahahahahahahaha!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1326572017|3103017 said:

And nope, I can't play.

DF, in your mind at what age do they switch from being girls to being old ladies?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Now that would be an interesting poll!!

I'm in the group of "I took lessons for a couple of years, but am not sure I remember anything"...I wish I did...I hope that my kids will each be able to play an instrument (hopefully not drums!).

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I do. Played from 6 until 18.......but you expected the answer right? Almost every Asian female who grew up middle class knows how to play. All of my friends with similar backgrounds played the piano growing up, and guess what? All of us have our kids playing as well. It's as standard as teaching them how to eat with chopsticks.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1326572559|3103023 said:
Dancing Fire|1326572017|3103017 said:

And nope, I can't play.

DF, in your mind at what age do they switch from being girls to being old ladies?
well,the avg lady PSer is 30.i need to think it over.. :lol:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I took lessons for a few years when I was in Junior High/High School, but other things became more important. Also, my fingers barely reach a full octave on the keyboard and I was having difficulties with more advanced music because of that. So, in true angsty-teenager fashion, I just kinda gave up. :nono: But I did enjoy playing, and I can still play a bit of "Fuer Elise" thanks to good ol' muscle memory. But other than that I'm hopeless.

I was quite the alto saxophonist, though. I miss that much more than piano.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I play the piano. :tongue:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1326578976|3103073 said:
I do. Played from 6 until 18.......but you expected the answer right? Almost every Asian female who grew up middle class knows how to play. All of my friends with similar backgrounds played the piano growing up, and guess what? All of us have our kids playing as well. It's as standard as teaching them how to eat with chopsticks.

I thought that having one's child learn the violin was de rigeur. Is the rule piano first, violin second? I am not Asian, but my daughter studied piano first and cello second. If I remember correctly, YoYo Ma was not allowed to study the cello at first, but forced to study the violin. I am going to have to go look that up now, because I forget. All I know is that my daughter suddenly decided to switch from cello to violin when she was in the seventh grade for reasons that had very little to do with music and everything to do with convenience. Disaster!

Deb

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I do. It's pretty difficult to get by as a music teacher without knowing how to play the piano. I've played since I was 6 or 7. Used to be a lot better than I am now. :cheeky:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1326602896|3103249 said:

I thought that having one's child learn the violin was de rigeur. Is the rule piano first, violin second? I am not Asian, but my daughter studied piano first and cello second. If I remember correctly, YoYo Ma was not allowed to study the cello at first, but forced to study the violin. I am going to have to go look that up now, because I forget. All I know is that my daughter suddenly decided to switch from cello to violin when she was in the seventh grade for reasons that had very little to do with music and everything to do with convenience. Disaster!

Deb

Yes, it's piano first, then violin. My son, who is nine just started violin in 4th grade, and is still required to keep up with piano. I think piano is the most basic visual instrument so it's a beginner basic.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom|1326646214|3103439 said:
AGBF|1326602896|3103249 said:

Deb

Yes, it's piano first, then violin. My son, who is nine just started violin in 4th grade, and is still required to keep up with piano. I think piano is the most basic visual instrument so it's a beginner basic.

yes. it's also a good way to learn both the bass and treble clef. I tend to think of it as a foundational instrument.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I play piano--started when I was 4 or 5. I did mostly classical stuff growing up then branched out into some jazz in college. After I graduated I played keyboard in a rock band for a while but these days I just play for fun a few hours a week.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
nope.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I used to be a very good classically-trained pianist. I accompanied all of my high school's ensembles and took about 10 years of formal lessons. Now I just tinker a little and rarely teach myself new pieces, but I still bring the old favorites back here and there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results