shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you blog? Tweet? YouTube, etc.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know we can't post our own blog addresses or other social media account info here on PS, but every once and a while I see someone out there in the blogosphere and wonder if she's a fellow PSer. Then it makes me wonder, what else DO PSers do on the Internet?

So . . .

Do you have a blog? If so, what do you blog about?
Do you tweet?
Do you post videos on YouTube? What about?
Do you have a presence on other social media sites?
Do you post on other forums?

I'll answer first . . .

I've had a couple of blogs over the years, but currently I keep a blog about reading and writing. I post a lot of fun things about readers and authors and reading tidbits, etc. Same for writing. I'm maintaining it as part of my current research on social media and student engagement.
My other blogs all had something to do with reading and writing in one way or another . . . book reviews, experimental long-distance book clubs, writing groups, that sort of thing. Most of them were collaborative.

I've only been tweeting for a short while but I really enjoy it. I follow some really interesting educators, writers, and lit agents, and I've learned a lot from them in a short time. I've also won two books! TWO FREE BOOKS! Penguin sent me a free book because they thought I posted a clever tweet, and I won another one from a library for responding to one of their tweets. So cool. They were both signed by the authors, too.

I post videos about reading skills on YouTube, for my students. This is another part of my research, and I've only published a few videos so far. They're very bad. I put up videos of my ring for a bit but that was before I knew it was against forum policy to link to them, so then I took them down.

I'm a senior reviewer on Tripadvisor because I review a lot from our travels. I also post a lot of restaurant reviews on Yelp and Opentable, and trip reports on the Fodors travel forums. I like to contribute to these sites because they really help me plan my own trips and restaurant outings.

I do Pinterest and Goodreads and Facebook, as well. Love Goodreads, but I've talked about that on here before. LOVE THAT SITE!

Geez. It really looks like a lot when I write it all out. This must be why I never watch any television anymore.

What do you put out there on the Internet?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'd go on YouTube to watch some videos and listen to old songs.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was well known on the fodors forums in the earlier years, but it has been a long time. Still, I recently posted and a lot of the longtime members remembered me. That's about it though. I don't have the patience to keep up anything!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I follow a few fashion bloggers and they all have twitter presences...I have never been disciplined enough to start and stick with my own blog, though. It takes dedication! I would love to start a blog, but I'd want to do it full force and I just don't have the (what I consider) tenacity to really make something of it, which would be my goal. A very well-known fashion blogger, Jessica Quirk, now lives in my town, and she has had a book published. I don't find her all that fascinating, and she's sort of ridiculed on some blog-watcher sites, but good for her for persevering?... I met her in person a few times and was underwhelmed. That's the trouble one runs into with an online presence vs. the real world, I suppose.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven, I wish I knew what your blog was. I'd love to check it out, especially since we're in the same field. Do you post about reading engagement, etc. for the little ones as well? I follow a lot of elementary teacher blogs and there's great information and activities on them.

I have a FB acct. but I'm rarely on it. I pop in once in a while to see what others are up to, but I never feel like I have anything worth posting. Twitter and other social media sites don't interest me, and PS is the only place where I regularly post. I'm not sure if this one counts because I'm not really communicating with others on the site, but I've been really getting into Pinterest lately.

Other than that, I can't keep up with all that's out there!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Facebook and tripadvisor are the extent of my online writing/reviewing (aside from PS). I really enjoy tripadvisor and post quite a lot as I use it mysel for trip research and find it very useful.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Other than PS I read the Tartelett and Not So Humble Pie Blogs and Facebook but nothing else, my me time is pretty limited so I don't spend long on the internet in one go.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a blog that I am horrendous at updating regularly. I "review" stuff that I buy, it started as makeup and whatnot, but it's expanded into all kinds of crap. I will go on a bender once in a while and do a few in a day, but then I go for months. I store up pics and write them but then I never do anything with them bec it's pretty time consuming.

I have a twitter but only so I can read other people's stuff and keep up with the slowly growing food trucks in my area and go get the foods when they're near me which is REALLY not often enough!

I have FB and I am trying to cut back on that. I want to just delete it most of the time.

I am on many other forums. Several luxury, a few for my industry, and a bunch of techy ones.

Do you have a blog?
maaaaaaaybe

Do you tweet?
A few times a month. So not really

Nope

Other than FB? No. I find LinkedIn creepy.

Yep.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1325825863|3096277 said:
Do you tweet?
t?

I don't blog, tweet, etc.

Mostly I look on FB and then there were two forums I use to be active on. One was a fish forum. I quit mostly because people CONSTANTLY fought about what size tanks were appropriate for certain fish and acuasations of fish abuse, etc., over size of betta tanks. One member kept following me around and responding to my every post like some sort of stawker. I looked at his profile and he was a TEENAGER. I had enough at that point! I also read MUA and use to swap packages with other members & post all the time, but my interest fizzled out.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
GAH. I just lost my reply.

Thanks for your responses, everyone!

I think maintaining a blog is an easy thing for writers, because we'd be writing anyway even if we weren't posting things on the blog. So, I find it doesn't take me much time at all. And, since my blog is directly related to my work, I write things that I'd be sharing with my students, anyway, in some other form if the blog didn't exist.

I'm a bad tweeter, though. I don't tweet so much, but I do read it sporadically and I'm a good re-tweeter. I love reading it, but it moves so fast.

TGal, you introduced me to the Fodor's forums, and I really love them. I use the review sites so much when planning trips that I feel I should contribute reviews back.

Zoe--I'll be teaching a 200-level ed course this semester on reading instruction for K-8, so I'm sure I'll post some things about reading to children, etc. I only teach that class in the spring, here's hoping it will run.

MC--That fish forum sounds awful. Yuck. There have been moments of great drama here on PS, and I've kept my distance, but I don't think I could stick around if it happened every day.

Bean--Spill! What do you blog about? :) I don't like LinkedIn either. I joined but then never became active.

Monnie--Interesting about the fashion blogger. I never thought about bloggers developing a sort of persona online and then how that would translate to real life. My blog isn't at all about me, so I don't think I'll have that problem!

AmysB--Isn't TripAdvisor great? I love that site.

Lottie--Ooh, I haven't heard of those blogs, I'll have to check them out.

Ame--I love the reviewer blogs! There's one girl on YouTube, Rose Russo, who posts videos about hair and makeup products. She also posts instructionals on how to style your hair, and I use her video on how to cut hair to cut my own. She saves me a lot of money!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Do you tweet?

I have a website, which was originally built as our wedding website. I'm now archiving the wedding stuff and will turn it into our family website/blog. I have some pregancy posts drafted but won't publish them until we go public with the news. I've had a few blogs over the years. The best was a dating blog where I (anonymously) blogged about the gazillions of dates I went on.

I have a twitter account but I don't think I've ever used it.

I have videos on YouTube, but nothing remotely educational. Just music videos my friends and I have made.

I have facebook, I think I still have a myspace account. That's about it.

Yep! Cafemom and Babycenter are the most common for me.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1325871014|3096559 said:
Do you tweet?
t?

I don't blog, tweet, etc.

Mostly I look on FB and then there were two forums I use to be active on. One was a fish forum. I quit mostly because people CONSTANTLY fought about what size tanks were appropriate for certain fish and acuasations of fish abuse, etc., over size of betta tanks. One member kept following me around and responding to my every post like some sort of stawker. I looked at his profile and he was a TEENAGER. I had enough at that point! I also read MUA and use to swap packages with other members & post all the time, but my interest fizzled out.
MC, I was a swapper too! Actually, just last night I was thinking how I really should get rid of some perfume and wondered if MUA was still around.

I don't blog, tweet, post videos, or do anything. I used to be active on a law school forum (mostly during the admissions process), but that site has since fizzled.

I've considered being more active online, but my problem is basically that's I'm fundamentally incredibly lazy and I have terrible follow-through. So maintaining a blog, or even being an active reviewer, seems overwhelming to me.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I have a blog, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, you name it, I probably have it. I also handle the social networking for my organization since our communications person isn't into the internet stuff at all. I blog about my personal finances. It helps keep me motivated to pay off our debt and make good financial decisions; nothing like an audience of friends and family to keep you honest. I have been rubybeth online for a really, really long time, since I had AOL at 15 and was obsessed with the 'Wizard of Oz' and only wore red shoes for about 3 years. :roll: A few months ago, one of my cousins started a game of Words With Friends with 'rubybeth' and then texted to ask if it was me after a particularly good play--it wasn't me! 'Rubybeth' was taken when I signed up, so I had to choose something else. I got a kick out of that. :cheeky:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, nothing.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really. (I might have an account at LinkedIn, but I think I deleted that since I never used it anyway)

My internet time is spent doing stuff for work (client info and the likes), school (taking one online class and two others that have class websites), and PS.

There is a lot of stuff I'd love to follow (reading & cooking blogs especially) if I had time...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you tweet?
Haven, girl, you bizzy! Whew. I got tired just READING your list of activities -- but I certainly admire your ambition & helpful nature! For myself:

Blog -- no (but I sketchily maintain a website for my freelance work w/the help of my more technically minded DH)
Tweet -- yes
Post videos -- kinda but it's been a long while since I did a *personal* one. Mostly the stuff that ends up online is portions of prof. work.
Other Social Media sites -- Facebook, Linked In, Google+
Other forums -- posted one review on Trip Advisor, read Cruise Critic, sporadically read/post to Websleuths, brief Purse Forum & Indie Bride (?) phases.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1325875400|3096629 said:
MC, I was a swapper too! Actually, just last night I was thinking how I really should get rid of some perfume and wondered if MUA was still around.

I don't blog, tweet, post videos, or do anything. I used to be active on a law school forum (mostly during the admissions process), but that site has since fizzled.

I've considered being more active online, but my problem is basically that's I'm fundamentally incredibly lazy and I have terrible follow-through. So maintaining a blog, or even being an active reviewer, seems overwhelming to me.

Yeah, MUA is still is active as ever. It was a really bad influence on me...I bought way too much make-up while posting. I also have been thinking about swapping again. I just dont know if I have the patience for weeding through swap lists like I use to!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live on Facebook :Up_to_something: I also Tweet but I dont go on there much...I do watch video's on YouTube, I do not blog...too much work lol...I do post on other forums....

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I would love to start a blog...but I don't have the time, follow-through, or technical know-how at this point to make it into what I'd want it to be. Sooooo, that's on the back burner. I'm hoping to get something off the ground once we start house hunting/buying a house/doing renovations, especially since a lot of what we'll be doing involves incorporating a lot of accessible green technology into our home and I think it would be useful information!

I also spend too much time on Facebook and I do my best to review each hotel/B&B/restaurant I patronize on OpenTable/TripAdvisor.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
I live online. Seriously.

I work online. I buy stuff online, from clothing to food. I am marrying a man I met online.

I used to blog, and I am planning on doing it again. I tweet a lot, I use Facebook (where I work as community manager for a local book publisher). I use Twitter, Youtube and Foursquare in my job. I do not post personal Youtube videos though.

I use Goodreads for books, Grooveshark for music and Google for just about anything else. :mrgreen:

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
I have a home reno/decor blog that I've been doing since 2009. It is actually quite fun and I love the sense of community that comes with blogging. I also follow many other blogs (I'm a bit of an addict, I think!)

I tweet, but not as frequently as many of my fellow bloggers.

I use Facebook but don't really post much anymore.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I have a blog that I have not updated recently because I've been way too busy :nono: . It is mostly about baking and cooking with anecdotes about myself, my friends and DH here and there. I also have two twitter accounts one for my blog and one for me which I use pretty much daily. I tweet mostly about my daily annoyances/excitements and funny things I think of.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to be late to this, but it caught my eye; thanks, Haven.

So, I suppose Pricescope is still my most active "social networking" area...despite not being here all that much. I used to be originally, like 7 years ago, a lot.

I'm on facebook a little.

I'm amused by Linked in.

My office, that has a union, will next week discuss in a guild meeting our social networking policies (am I violating them now)?

Two things sourced by me...

Through Google and Blogspot, I have several little blogs...one keyed to "my process," I started when about 4 years ago I left my previous congregational community, and jumped to a new forming one. And, having started that, a few pop ups also from that, that have tended to be project based...i.e., one each for son's Bar Mitzvah, one for a meditation group (which no one follows me to)...and like that.

Then, about 18 months ago, I did set up a website through bluehost (even inquired about web hosting services here on Pricescope before deciding on Bluhost) on my interest in Judaism & buddhism. I built it with Wordpress. But, I am intimidated even by Wordpress, so this has discouraged my adding to it...so I haven't. I do need to make time and an appropriate strategy to become more familiar with Wordpress.

Ira Z.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Nope, no blogging, no tweeting, no posting on youtube (although I do watch some stuff), not even facebook. I guess I'm old school but not that old.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the planning stages of a blog, but have not had the time to put into getting it up and going.

As far as Twitter is concerned - I am on it, butI just don't get it, but would like to see the value in it that so many people do.

Facebook - on regularly, mostly to see what everyone else is up to.

Linked In - check!

I would love to find a great forum about anthropology or sociology. Does anybody know if one exists?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results