shape
carat
color
clarity

Slightly Off Centre Culet

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
Hi Again All
The hunt for an old mine cut or an antique cushion continues. And I have another question: if a culet is every so slightly off centre, will this effect the light performance of the stone? Technically this is part of symmetry? But if a culet "simply" serves as entry point for light before it hits all the right angles in the stone, can I assume that it being slightly off centre wont matter?
Thanks!!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't speak to the light performance issue, but I can say that a slightly off center culet is not unusual with old cuts, and is very rarely bothersome or noticeable in person (obviously depends on the degree of off-centeredness). I've seen many jaw droppingly gorgeous antique diamonds with off center culets, so it's just a matter of how sensitive one is to symmetry. Off center culets are more common with OMC's/Cushions. Less so with OEC's/Transitionals.

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
Excellent news Erica! To me, symmetry, colour, and what not are only relevant if they effect they beauty of the stone and from the sound of it, it does not! I know some people are concern about re-sell value and so parameters become more important that visual beauty (diamond is NEVER an investment buy!). Gladly, I am not one of them. Thanks for that comment Erica!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results