shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique ring

mrweaseluv

Rough_Rock
I bought this ring for my girl, and have been trying to trace down some of it's "history" the center marquise is not. The center stone is actualy 2 .50ct shield cut stones with .38ct in bagettes and 2 .2ct marquise on the side of the center stone. The setting is a 1840 "hinged ring" that no longer has it's hinge (removed at some point to "resize" the ring) As the center stones are a very unusual cut I was actualy hoping to find more info than I have been able too. So now I post here and ask if anyone might know more then I have been able to find. Stones are all VS G. Please any additional information would be greatly appreaciated.

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry to tell you that ring is NOT from the 1800's. I would guess 1980's.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agreed. This looks like a modern piece. I'm sorry if someone's misled you.

Anne

mrweaseluv

Rough_Rock
on the dating of the ring the patent number is registered at 1841, and the ring is numbered (12) so I am almost 100% positive of the age of the ring. It was however "remade" at a later date (replacing pearls with the 2 center diamonds and likely this is when the hinge was removed from the bottom) Also it bears the gold carat marking (indicating 10k gold) that has not been used since about the 1920s (as well as the remake marking that states it tests out at 14k rather then 10k)

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like the current iteration was pieced together over the years. Besides just the styling, I would also seriously doubt it is from the 1800's since white gold as an alloy was not commonly done until the 20th century. Are you in UK? It looks like there might be some UK hallmarks in there which can give away a lot of detail if they are readable.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I'm also sorry that you have been mislead.This is a modern made ring from the late 1980s to the mid 1990s.There is nothing antique about this ring's manufacture.There was a period in the 1990s where shield cut diamonds were being used to keep the price down on a larger marquise center.I showed and sold many rings that looked like this back in the day.In 30 plus years of dealing with modern and true antique jewelry from the 1800's I can assure you that this is not antique.Sorry.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i looked up the patient information on the shank of the ring. This patient was for Davida Enterprises and was originally dated in 1996 and finalized in July 1997.The shank used was originally designed to hold an open door hinge used for women with arthritis.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I love love elongated marquise! Beautiful!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's lovely- but I'm afraid more modern than you think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results