carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello:

I was very taken by a gorgeous 1.07 red burmese red spinel today (cushion) and had a difficult time not buying it on the spot. Could I have envisioned a setting for it, I likely would have.

I've never studied or purchased a red spinel before and have no idea of what I should be looking for in terms of cost or most desirable color. That said, the color was "red" captivating to me--with a very minor hint of "orange" if three pair of eyes could discern. No extinction. Beautifully made.

I realize people here are not mind readers and did not see the stone, but any feedback would be appreciated. "Ballparks" for price per carat? Please? Best, least desirable secondary colors?

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1325984293|3097534 said:
I was very taken by a gorgeous 1.07 red burmese red spinel today (cushion) and had a difficult time not buying it on the spot. Could I have envisioned a setting for it, I likely would have.

I've never studied or purchased a red spinel before and have no idea of what I should be looking for in terms of cost or most desirable color. That said, the color was "red" captivating to me--with a very minor hint of "orange" if three pair of eyes could discern. No extinction. Beautifully made.

I realize people here are not mind readers and did not see the stone, but any feedback would be appreciated. "Ballparks" for price per carat? Please? Best, least desirable secondary colors?

All I can say is, "Uh oh"! You are a serious gem and jewelry lover, Sharon. If you have been bitten by the red spinel bug, this is not the last we have heard of it!

There is way too much to say about what is desirable in red spinels in one posting. My own opinion is that the person who plans to wear the spinel has to decide what shade of red s/he likes best and then find a stone that best matches that shade. My idea of an ideal red may not be yours. I am not wild about orange modifiers, but then, I don't love the so-called "Pigeon's Blood" red, either. It has more purple in it than I like. I think one has to find a red s/he, himself or herself, really loves!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
What lighting source did you see it in? Spinels can shift in different lighting. My pink pear is PINK in the sun and then shifts to a slightly orangy pink in fluorescent lighting.

But you know, if you love it... it doesn't matter what the industry says is the bees knees.

I don't know what a good red spinel goes for these days.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1325984914|3097538 said:
canuk-gal|1325984293|3097534 said:

All I can say is, "Uh oh"! You are a serious gem and jewelry lover, Sharon. If you have been bitten by the red spinel bug, this is not the last we have heard of it!

There is way too much to say about what is desirable in red spinels in one posting. My own opinion is that the person who plans to wear the spinel has to decide what shade of red s/he likes best and then find a stone that best matches that shade. My idea of an ideal red may not be yours. I am not wild about orange modifiers, but then, I don't love the so-called "Pigeon's Blood" red, either. It has more purple in it than I like. I think one has to find a red s/he, himself or herself, really loves!

Deb/AGBF

HI Deb:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I found the stone mesmerizing!

Of course I agree with you about color and preference. I like this red very well! The only other red spinel I've seen was 4 x the size and therefore 10 x the price and had a slight purple modifier if memory serves.

My only reservation is the size--no offence to anyone but at just over a carat it is "small" for me. Of course the appropriate setting could make up for that.

Deb, in your search did you look at many red stones before you found the "one"? Do you mind me asking who you purchased from?

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
davi_el_mejor|1325984984|3097539 said:
What lighting source did you see it in? Spinels can shift in different lighting. My pink pear is PINK in the sun and then shifts to a slightly orangy pink in fluorescent lighting.

But you know, if you love it... it doesn't matter what the industry says is the bees knees.

I don't know what a good red spinel goes for these days.

HI Davi:

Thanks for your reply. I looked at it in store lighting (overhead) and with the small apparatus they set up for me to see it in a brighter environment. It was overcast outside, so no daylight. I did shield it with my hand and brought it out of light and it was lively and red!

I guess I just don't know what is fair in terms of cost but then again if you like it, what is the difference?!?

cheer--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1325993848|3097655 said:
I really like the second one on this page, although I am sure you have to see the color in various lighting:

http://www.atggems.com/Photos_Spinel.htm

HI DS:

Thank you for the link--as it show pricing. Very helpful!

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1326043596|3097943 said:
Deb, in your search did you look at many red stones before you found the "one"? Do you mind me asking who you purchased from?

In this last search, Sharon, I didn't look at any stones in person until I decided to buy a stone subject to liking it. I did one whole heck of a lot of "looking" by asking people in the industry to help me narrow down exactly what I wanted in terms of color before I went anywhere near making that decision to buy, however. I had a very, very specific hue in mind.

That takes us back a little. I have another red spinel, a smaller one, but one that is also very fine and from Burma. I would never have gone on the search for this one that I did if I had been satisfied with that spinel. That spinel, however, is-in my opinion-a very, very dark purplish pink, not a true red. It was given to me by Pala Gems to replace a stoplight red fractured spinel and I was never truly happy with it. The stoplight red spinel was another story. I loved it!

That stone is pictured in the thread to which I posted a link below:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/agbfs-spinel-is-set.27024/?hilit=rubydick']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/agbfs-spinel-is-set.27024/?hilit=rubydick[/URL]

Having searched for that first spinel gave me some hands-on red spinel-searching experience even though, this time, I left the searching to others!

I would prefer not to mention from whom I bought the current stone, as the person who sold it to me wishes to remain private.

Deb/AGBF

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1326083493|3098322 said:
canuk-gal|1326043596|3097943 said:

In this last search, Sharon, I didn't look at any stones in person until I decided to buy a stone subject to liking it. I did one whole heck of a lot of "looking" by asking people in the industry to help me narrow down exactly what I wanted in terms of color before I went anywhere near making that decision to buy, however. I had a very, very specific hue in mind.

That takes us back a little. I have another red spinel, a smaller one, but one that is also very fine and from Burma. I would never have gone on the search for this one that I did if I had been satisfied with that spinel. That spinel, however, is-in my opinion-a very, very dark purplish pink, not a true red. It was given to me by Pala Gems to replace a stoplight red fractured spinel and I was never truly happy with it. The stoplight red spinel was another story. I loved it!

That stone is pictured in the thread to which I posted a link below:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/agbfs-spinel-is-set.27024/?hilit=rubydick']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/agbfs-spinel-is-set.27024/?hilit=rubydick[/URL]

Having searched for that first spinel gave me some hands-on red spinel-searching experience even though, this time, I left the searching to others!

I would prefer not to mention from whom I bought the current stone, as the person who sold it to me wishes to remain private.

Deb/AGBF

HI Deb:

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I looked at your old thread--goes back a long time--when you and I were of the very few posting on colored stones!

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal, have you tried gemcal.com? they have some reds, so its worth looking at least. They also have a very gracious return policy.

-A

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1326148030|3098803 said:
canuk-gal, have you tried gemcal.com? they have some reds, so its worth looking at least. They also have a very gracious return policy.

-A
HI:

Thanks for the suggestion. On that site, which is your choice? :bigsmile:

Have been looking at Nomad-----must stop looking there......must stop looking there....

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1326160739|3098988 said:

-A
HI:

Have been looking at Nomad-----must stop looking there......must stop looking there....

cheers--Sharon

They have a 2.05ct (2447) which the color of, but the cut is kinda wonky. I really like the the 2.35 ct round (2001) though it does have some inclusions in it. It wouldn't be everyone's first choice, but for me, its a great color red and would work best with my skintone. Dead last for me would be the 2.58 (1940) its ok for those that don't mind some orange, though its also quite a pricey stone.

The last place I need to look is Nomad. Every time I do I end up buying something crazy expensive :$$): .

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1325993848|3097655 said:
I really like the second one on this page, although I am sure you have to see the color in various lighting:

http://www.atggems.com/Photos_Spinel.htm

I prefer the 75 point cushion in the middle of the page. The one above shows some brownish color to me. Not a fan, sorry, but I guess we all have our tastes and preferences. :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1326175380|3099173 said:

-A
HI:

cheers--Sharon

They have a 2.05ct (2447) which the color of, but the cut is kinda wonky. I really like the the 2.35 ct round (2001) though it does have some inclusions in it. It wouldn't be everyone's first choice, but for me, its a great color red and would work best with my skintone. Dead last for me would be the 2.58 (1940) its ok for those that don't mind some orange, though its also quite a pricey stone.

The last place I need to look is Nomad. Every time I do I end up buying something crazy expensive :$$): .

-A

Do they even sell to the public--says "wholesaler" on their website....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know, Nomad does not sell to the public.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1326210150|3099358 said:
As far as I know, Nomad does not sell to the public.

Thanks--I surmised as much....good thing for me! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1326210037|3099355 said:
Arcadian|1326175380|3099173 said:

-A
HI:

cheers--Sharon

-A

Do they even sell to the public--says "wholesaler" on their website....

Thankfully no!! :lol: I meant that I buy something expensive somewhere else!! ( it was early, didn't explain myself well) I don't have any idea bout their prices but I'm sure they're up there!!

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have talked to Nomad and was informed that although they are wholesalers, they will sell to the individual public if you visit their booth at the gemshows.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Have you had a look at Gemfix? http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html Some drool worthy colours on that page at the moment though more in the pink range than stop light red.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results