shape
carat
color
clarity

Montana sapphire advice

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
I have posted a few times about getting a stone for my e-ring. We are ready to buy just waiting for the right stone.

I fell for two stones on Precision Gem, gem 1214 and gem 1200 (http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/Gemstones/Sapphire.html). They are both sold but if a similar stone comes up I'd like to buy it and set it solitaire in white gold.

Does anyone have any tips for me when choosing a stone like this? Of the two, which do you think is better? Is there anything I should watch out for?

I know I definitely like that color (teal/turquoise/blue-green) but I wonder whether I should be looking for one that photographs lighter, or...?

I just want as much advice as possible so that when the right one comes I can snag it!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You can also email & ask if he has any rough left from which he could cut a stone for you.

The 2nd round looks more saturated on my monitor, but it could be due to lighting or photography. It might darken when set unless in a pretty open setting. When you find one you are interested in buying, you could ask for more pics in various types of light, if possible. Also not a bad idea to ask the vendor his opinion of what the color will do when it's set. Sometimes you just need to see it IRL to be sure, so check return policies wherever you are thinking of buying.

I LOVE that Montana color -- great choice!

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
waitforthat|1325798344|3095947 said:
I have posted a few times about getting a stone for my e-ring. We are ready to buy just waiting for the right stone.

I fell for two stones on Precision Gem, gem 1214 and gem 1200 (http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/Gemstones/Sapphire.html). They are both sold but if a similar stone comes up I'd like to buy it and set it solitaire in white gold.

Does anyone have any tips for me when choosing a stone like this? Of the two, which do you think is better? Is there anything I should watch out for?

I know I definitely like that color (teal/turquoise/blue-green) but I wonder whether I should be looking for one that photographs lighter, or...?

I just want as much advice as possible so that when the right one comes I can snag it!

I think they're both pretty much the same in color, and Gene rated the color equally on both. It's hard to see the true color on the second one as there is glare on the table. At least you can see into the table of the first one, and I really prefer high crowns on gemstones, so the first one gets my vote, although they're pretty close. The first one also looks like it has less inclusions, which can tend to make a gem look less crystal, or more sleepy in appearance if they're abundant. You should also consider face-up as a high crown does take away from the face up diameter of the gem, but you do get all that extra sparkle in return. I would also ask him about tone, as some sapphires take on a darker tone, and can tend to "black out" in certain lighting situations, or color shift to a less desirable color for the owner.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
imo, both may be darker than you want. i like the larger one above, also sold.

however, you are i luck: the tucson gem show is coming up and gene could shop for some rough to cut for you while there....assuming he's going this year.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1325804686|3096023 said:
imo, both may be darker than you want. i like the larger one above, also sold.

however, you are i luck: the tucson gem show is coming up and gene could shop for some rough to cut for you while there....assuming he's going this year.

That would be my preference too, above the two darker rounds.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked them both (heck I really liked the winza!) Blue jean is a med/dark blue, you need to decide if you're ok with that. If not, then yes, go lighter. I would likely go for it based on the cutting alone, but I like dark blue stones, so my opinion is kinda moot.

-A

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of the helpful advice! This forum has really been so incredibly helpful, I am so, so glad I came across it!

Laurie and others have mentioned that it might be too dark with the wrong setting. I'm thinking of something that seems pretty open (to me at least) from DanielM http://www.etsy.com/transaction/46545617 Do others think this setting will let in a lot of light?

TL, what you say about the face and high crown is super helpful. Just from the limited photos I have, to me the 1214 seems more sparkly - do you agree with that or do you think it would be different in real life? And can you expand on this a little more, if you don't mind?

TL|1325804658|3096022 said:
The first one also looks like it has less inclusions, which can tend to make a gem look less crystal, or more sleepy in appearance if they're abundant.

Am I correct that you are saying more inclusions will make the stone look more lively, or did I get it backwards?

movie zombie, I like the color of the cushion cut, and once even thought I really wanted a cushion, but my heart is set on a round now! To me the color also seems less saturated, but am I just confusing the shade of the color with the saturation?

Arcadian, thanks! The more I learn about gems the more I can see others perspective on dark stones, but I still tend to prefer the medium to the lights, especially with Gene's cuts, they really sparkle and seem full of light! (Oh, and I love that winza too, Gene's description says the purple is more a mix of red and blue pieces and it sounds too cool!).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
waitforthat|1325863346|3096454 said:
TL, what you say about the face and high crown is super helpful. Just from the limited photos I have, to me the 1214 seems more sparkly - do you agree with that or do you think it would be different in real life? And can you expand on this a little more, if you don't mind?

TL|1325804658|3096022 said:
The first one also looks like it has less inclusions, which can tend to make a gem look less crystal, or more sleepy in appearance if they're abundant.

Am I correct that you are saying more inclusions will make the stone look more lively, or did I get it backwards?

A high crown will give more sparkle. I am a fan of high crowns on stones, unless they are very dark in tone, and in that case, no crown or cutting style will help the brilliance of the gem. The trade off is that you will have less "face up" per carat weight when compared to a stone of the same density/carat weight (as long as the pavilion is not super deep). I also like high crowns and small tables because they help to reduce tilt windows, in particular on low RI stones.

Eye visible inclusions impede light performance, so you don't get as much sparkle in the area of the inclusions. All over inclusions like a light silk also impede sparkle, but in some cases, they help the stone have an overall "glow" so to speak. In these particular stones, I don't see silk, but some small inclusions that might impede light performance. As always, ask the lapidary in question (in this case, Gene), if there are such inclusions. Often inclusions in a camera photo are much more prominent and evident than IRL where you can hardly see them.

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
Thank you! That definitely clarifies things for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results