shape
carat
color
clarity

I made a tin cup styled bracelet!

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Not too long ago I bought an affordable parcel of loose white freshwater pearls. They were "potato" shaped, so almost round. A- grade according to the seller (they have a decent amount of luster). Anyhow, as I was cleaning out my jewelry drawer I came across a broken sterling silver chain and I was about ready to scrap when an idea hit me!

I've always wanted a tin cup styled bracelet and I had sterling wire in a gauge that would fit through the hole of the pearls. I cut the chain into 2cm intervals starting from the clasp end and wire wrapped pearls in between the cuts, then finished the end with a large jump ring.

Pretty convincing!

tincup1.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photos. My good camera is on loan.

tincup2.jpg

I might make some dangle earrings with the rest of the chain....so this is a good way to use up broken jewelry and loose pearls!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful job. I'm convinced! :))

That's one thing that I love so much about pearls, and that is that I can "set" them myself. Now that you have the bracelet, how about a pair of earrings to match? All you need is a pair of headpins and earring wires. Maybe get another silver chain for a matching necklace. You are on your way to making lots of your own jewelry. :naughty:

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!

Yes, just made a pair of dangle earrings. I used 2 lengths of chain, put a pearl on one end and a Swarowski crystal on the other end.

Oooh, yes, I should make a necklace too. Don't have much chain left, but that's pretty easy to obtain. I agree with you Fly Girl, it's nice to have a gemstone that one can set easily.

starshine

Shiny_Rock
How lovely! Well done! :appl:

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
BRILLIANT !

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Here are the earrings I made with the leftover chain:

pearldangles1.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Briolette, What gauge wire did you use for the pearls. I want to buy some in 14k to use on a 14k rollo necklace I want to make something with. Gold is so expensive I don't want to buy the wrong size wire. Thanks if you can help me. NL

briolette

Shiny_Rock
NacreLover said:
Briolette, What gauge wire did you use for the pearls. I want to buy some in 14k to use on a 14k rollo necklace I want to make something with. Gold is so expensive I don't want to buy the wrong size wire. Thanks if you can help me. NL

Hi NL. I used 24 gauge wire for mine. I could have gotten away with 26 gauge though (sturdy enough and matches the chain thickness better) but I had 24 on hand and it fit through the hole.

Would love to see your necklace when you are done!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I have to practice wire wrapping to get it down first , then cut up the rolo. I have many Tahitians and freshwaters to play with that I don't seem to wear.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Make sure you get "dead soft" or "half hard" wire (I recommend the dead soft) for wire wrapping. It will make your life easier.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Briolette, Where did you learn to do this? A website? Thanks for the tip on the dead soft. I have seen that term at RioGrande on the wire.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
I got into wire jewelry on my own---just playing with inexpensive beads and craft wire. I think I ended up polishing my technique by looking at articles in "Bead and Button" magazine. I'm sure there are a lot of wire references out there on the web though! These days I play a lot with making bead and wire jewelry. It's a fun hobby.

Do you have a nice pair of round nose pliers, flat nose pliers, chain nose pliers and wire cutters? In case you don't those are also essential in making nice tight and even loops. I bought a German made set 20 years ago and they still work fabulous! However, I've seen pretty inexpensive sets at hobby lobby for around $30 a set.

Rio Grande is awesome! That's where I get all my tools and materials!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Briolette, Looks like I need more tools. I like to buy professional grade if I buy them, then they last. I have a pair of round nose and needle nose and a magical crimp forming tool, which turns tubes into beads.
I have been watching the videos over at the beadalon site. There are over a hundred on different subjects.
http://www.beadalon.com/bbj-901.asp
I have some old issues of bead and button, but perfer to learn by watching some one in action. Too bad we didn't live by each other.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Wow! you've done a great job, Briolette! IT looks very nice indeed. How clever!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results