shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby is here! Setting/Color advice?

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Original thread with pics of the ring that is my inspiration:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-project-help-rubies-and-ring-design.170012/#post-3091533#p3091533']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-project-help-rubies-and-ring-design.170012/#post-3091533#p3091533[/URL]

Vendor pics

http://www.gemfix.com/ruby.html

I've attached my pics. It is hard to get the color right. Indoor color I love in some lights it is a little light or I see more pinkish purple flashes?

I'm sort of naive because I didn't realize I would see the flaws on the side of the stone which should mostly be hidden when set. I *think* I love the color, I'm just super nervous because this is my first custom project and I don't want to be disappointed.

I didn't get any certificates or testing information with the stone. What do you all recommend on that front?

As for who to set --- what do you think a Steven K or Leon Mege quote would run for this project? Woud you use a rose gold basket and prongs for the ruby with platinum for the diamonds? Would that really make a difference in the look of the stone? Should I get a quote from other vendors --- I guess I'm asking is who adds what value to a project like this and any idea of the cost?

I'm so nervous, so I really appreciate all thoughts. I probably wouldn't have the guts to go custom except that I've never seen a ring quite like this and when you fall in love with something that your mother owns it just is different/sentimental.

219.JPG

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
More pics. This one is in some sunlight not direct.

220.JPG

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another one outside but out of the sun.

221.JPG

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
This shows a less flattering color or at least one in my opinion when it reads a little more purply red. Taken under an OTTI light.

223.JPG

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Last one for now.

I really love the color indoors because it doesn't get too dark. I've been wandering around my apartment in different rooms/times/lights to try to figure this out.

224.JPG

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Color is totally personal preference, so I have no advice on that, except to comment that it definitely reads as more pink-ish than anything else, on my monitor.

But.....

Do you love, love love this stone? I'm sensing from the tone of your post that you aren't in love with it, and if you aren't, that is a lot of money to spend on a gemstone and on a setting that if you don't love now, you are unlikely to come to love later. Speaking from experience (ahem.)

If you are inclined to keep it, I strongly recommend that you send it off to AGL for a complete report. I'd be inclined to have the Prestige report.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Red stones are really hard to grasp for color. I have a red spinel, and it shifts in different light like all spinels. I was also nervous buying on my own, but I had it appraised by Martin Fuller (in McLean, VA) when I bought it. Maybe an appraisal with a knowledgable appraiser would help?

For a ruby, I would consider sending it to AGL to test for beryllium diffusion

If you enjoy the color, keep it. I find that it's very hard to find a stone I love, so when I do, I don't let it go.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're not knocked out of your socks by the color, especially for what you paid, then send it back. Its one thing to have indecision over a $100 stone, but when something is that expensive, I would have to be very very pleased with it, and have no regrets whatsoever.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto what everyone else has said on being 100% happy with it -

And I would absolutely NOT set it in rose gold. That would make it look more pinkish/purplish. If what you want is RED RED RED, setting in yellow gold should help with that. At any rate, that's what I've been told, that the yellow gold makes rubies look more red instead of pinkish/purple.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to echo everybody else. Unless it SCREAMS at you and you''ve fallen in love then ............ either you need to live with it for a few days (sometimes there's a slow burning love) OR it's not for you. That's nothing to worry about - I can't tell you the number of stones that have gone back because I just haven't loved them. To my eye, it looks very different from the Vendor photo so I can see why you may have reservations. If you don't love it and you keep it, you'll resent paying what you have and the cost of setting it - especially if THE ONE comes along and you don't have the funds to buy it or set it. Do not even think about setting it until you know it's a keeper. Also, if you DO keep it, then you really must get a lab report before setting AND before the returns period runs out. Corundum is horribly treated and whilst I'm sure the vendor knows what's been done to this one, you must be sure.

If you do decide to keep it then think about having just one colour. Rubies are classical creatures and having rose gold/platinum (to me) doesn't fit. Thankfully rubies look good in white or yellow so think about what you would wear more.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the comments. I'm curious if people just don't like the color but don't want to say so? My photography skills aren't that great, but the color on my screen seems pretty close to real life - with it being nicer in person.

The stone looks perfect in artifical light but I am concerned about it being light in natural light. I'm going to take it around with me tomorrow and see how I like it in natural outdoor light and artifical light at work.

I am considering ordering this stone as an alternative to see in real life. Maybe I'll e-mail them to get more information. I just wish they used a different type of picture that felt more accurate.

http://www.ajsgem.com/ruby/burma-ruby/burma-ruby-1.06-carats.html-2

No idea who to contact about a possible setting. Honestly, I'm a little stressed about the whole thing. I've been considering letting a setter pick out a stone for me, but that seems a little risky too. If the style of setting was something I could buy elsewhere I'd do so in a heartbeat and if I didn't have such an attachment to this ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
winternight|1326043244|3097935 said:
I'm sort of naive because I didn't realize I would see the flaws on the side of the stone which should mostly be hidden when set. I *think* I love the color, I'm just super nervous because this is my first custom project and I don't want to be disappointed.

We're advising you to send it back because of your comments like the ones above. For the amount of money you're spending on a tiny one carat stone, you should LOVE it, not "think" you love it.

Also, the outdoor color of a fine ruby should show a reddish glow in the sun due to UV fluorescence. I don't see that in your outdoor photos, do you see more saturation of color outside IRL?

As for inspiration, for that stone I would set it with small side trillion diamonds. This is a much larger ring (Liz Hurley's e-ring), but you get the idea.

Elizabeth_hurley_ering.jpg

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
winternight|1326066343|3098160 said:
Thanks for the comments. I'm curious if people just don't like the color but don't want to say so? My photography skills aren't that great, but the color on my screen seems pretty close to real life - with it being nicer in person.

The stone looks perfect in artifical light but I am concerned about it being light in natural light. I'm going to take it around with me tomorrow and see how I like it in natural outdoor light and artifical light at work.

I think it's hard to comment because "red" in rubies is so variable, the preferred shade is such a personal interpretation? Not to mention the monitor calibration factor... Your pictures show a very pretty color that is, to my eyes, a pinkish red. If that's your preferred shade, fantastic! If not...

I definitely agree you should take it around with you and look at it in different lights. If you've read my sapphire thread (currently on the first page as well), you'll see I took it everywhere with me for a couple of days and looked at it in all kinds of lighting, way more angles than the pictures I actually posted. Especially my office lighting, since unfortunately, that's where I am for over ten hours a day... Someone on here said once that sapphires are moody, and I think that's a perfect description. They were talking about blue sapphires, but for obvious reasons I'd think that applies to rubies as well... You'll want to know that you're going to smile when your hand catches your eye.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

I am considering ordering this stone as an alternative to see in real life. Maybe I'll e-mail them to get more information. I just wish they used a different type of picture that felt more accurate.

http://www.ajsgem.com/ruby/burma-ruby/burma-ruby-1.06-carats.html-2

No idea who to contact about a possible setting. Honestly, I'm a little stressed about the whole thing. I've been considering letting a setter pick out a stone for me, but that seems a little risky too. If the style of setting was something I could buy elsewhere I'd do so in a heartbeat and if I didn't have such an attachment to this ring.

I can only speak for myself, winternight, but I very seldom make a value judgment on other poster's color choices, because color preferences are so very personal. I know I have stones in my collection that I adore and wear often, that others on this board wouldn't touch with a barge pole--and vice versa. With something as expensive as a ruby, especially as it is intended for such a special project, it really, truly only matters how the ruby makes you feel, which is what I believe all the other posters are trying to convey to you. This is a very special, emotional project: don't settle. If just looking at it doesn't make you smile, or give you a little thrill with how beautiful it is, don't settle for it just because its shape happens to fit what you need for the setting you want.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone. I'm going to take the ruby with me out tomorrow, see it in the sun, at work, etc. When I first opened the box and saw the stone I was excited, I think some of this indecision is just my personality. I'm reminding myself that at worst I don't like the stone in the setting and just have to replace it. Really that wouldn't be the most tragic thing in the world. Or if I decide against the stone I can return it.

TL - yes, gorgeous design, but I have a ring design in mind for sentimental reasons. I had pics of the ring in my original post. I'm still thinking about vendors.

I tried ordered to order some gems for a custom project awhile back and got a sapphire that made my heart sink w/disappointment the moment I saw it. It was dark and looked greyish in certain light. That certainly isn't this ruby at all. Unfortunately that experience turned me off from gem buying for a long time-- the vendor was very highly (and is) highly recommended. Because of that I don't want to have a vendor pick out my stone and then set it sight unseen.

tntyau, PS that sapphire is gorgeous! I would love one in a color like that, really it is just lovely.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1326072045|3098226 said:

We're advising you to send it back because of your comments like the ones above. For the amount of money you're spending on a tiny one carat stone, you should LOVE it, not "think" you love it.

Also, the outdoor color of a fine ruby should show a reddish glow in the sun due to UV fluorescence. I don't see that in your outdoor photos, do you see more saturation of color outside IRL?

As for inspiration, for that stone I would set it with small side trillion diamonds. This is a much larger ring (Liz Hurley's e-ring), but you get the idea.

Oh one more question - maybe this is a dumb question - but should I see anything special under an OTTI light? Or just outside? My outdoor photos were in the shade, but I'll look outside tomorrow --- hopefully we'll have some sun.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the comments. I'm curious if people just don't like the color but don't want to say so?

I have stayed quiet for two reasons. First, the color of the stone as it is pictured on the website from which you bought it is different from the color of the stone when you photographed it (as was the case with the red spinel I bought). Second, when I photographed my own red spinel-certified as red with a lab report-the stone looked like a purple grape in my photograph. I, therefore, don't tend to trust photographs by people other than professionals!!! I figure that what I see on my monitor is not necessarily reality!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
winternight|1326078482|3098285 said:
TL|1326072045|3098226 said:

Oh one more question - maybe this is a dumb question - but should I see anything special under an OTTI light? Or just outside? My outdoor photos were in the shade, but I'll look outside tomorrow --- hopefully we'll have some sun.

Well, I think a good ruby should not go muddy, or too brown or purple in OTTI light. Yes, as ABGF mentioned, photos can be very inaccurate, but if your photos are accurate, it looks a little muddy in OTTI light. Does it to you? The problem with rubies is that they can be uber expensive in a one carat stone in nice quality, and overpriced in lesser qualities (IMHO) because of the marketing hype of rubies, and the fact that the good ones are so rare. I personally stay away from all red stones because the only ones I personally like cost $$$$$$, whereas, I rather have a nice pink stone. I do have a pinkish red spinel I love, but again, a very nice red ruby is extremely hard to come by, and can cost upwards of $5K (minor heat treatment and minor clarity enhancement) to > $15K (untreated) for a nice one carat Burmese stone.

If you do love it, then keep it, and I highly recommend sending it the "American Gemological Lab" (AGL) in NYC to find out the quality and the clarity enhancement (if there is any), and confirmation of the origin, as Burmese stones command a premium.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Your photos look quite a bit different from the vendor pics! I guess it's because they used a flash....On my monitor your pictures make the ruby look darker with more purple. I know color is a personal preference, but if you bought the stone expecting the same color as what the vendor showed and you're perhaps settling on the darker colorby rationalizing that it is nice too....I'd send it back. $1800+ is not an insignificant amount of money.

I've purchased from this vendor before (my icon is one of their stones--a pink spinel and it looks identical in person) and Andrew is very easy to work with. If you want to return the purchase it should be an easy transaction.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1326082517|3098316 said:
Thanks for the comments. I'm curious if people just don't like the color but don't want to say so?

I have stayed quiet for two reasons. First, the color of the stone as it is pictured on the website from which you bought it is different from the color of the stone when you photographed it (as was the case with the red spinel I bought). Second, when I photographed my own red spinel-certified as red with a lab report-the stone looked like a purple grape in my photograph. I, therefore, don't tend to trust photographs by people other than professionals!!! I figure that what I see on my monitor is not necessarily reality!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

AGBF, I could not have said it better. I have a red spinel also, and I can't cature it's color to save my life. Only the vendor pictures capture its color.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to buck the trend and say that my camera NEVER captures green but for red, for some reason, it's on the money. So with that in mind, I'm going to show you a photo of my 6ct Ruby that has great fluorescence and looks good in all lighting conditions. TO ME (and I stress that) it's the perfect Ruby colour - not too pink but with a little purple and it has no brown (to my eyes). However, for others this won't be pink enough!!! It's very very very personal. However you MUST love it in ALL lights as presumably you don't live under a rock or on the sun's surface? :loopy:

Edit: 2nd photo is of a Ruby I own that is much much too pink for my taste! Some would consider this a Sapphire, others may think it scrapes into Ruby territory. It actually has a lab report stating Ruby but ..............

You have asked for honesty and I will say that for my taste your Ruby is too dark but please bear in mind, it may be perfect for you and a whole host of other people.

Ruby 6.5ct loose stone_1_1_1.jpg

Ruby Hexagon Ring trim for ps.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1326150343|3098832 said:
I'm going to buck the trend and say that my camera NEVER captures green but for red, for some reason, it's on the money. So with that in mind, I'm going to show you a photo of my 6ct Ruby that has great fluorescence and looks good in all lighting conditions. TO ME (and I stress that) it's the perfect Ruby colour - not too pink but with a little purple and it has no brown (to my eyes).

I'm stuck on the size! I really envy you a 6 carat ruby!!! Do you plan to set it?

Deb
:read:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Set years ago Deb. Not a great photo but here's one.

Ruby 6.5ct on hand for PS.jpg

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the helpful comments. I really appreciate it. I think since the stone doesn't really have the glow or color I thought it would I'll be sending it back. I seem to have very bad luck with picking out colored gems unfortunately!!

Wow and is that ruby ring quite the gem!! :love:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1326155499|3098912 said:
Set years ago Deb. Not a great photo but here's one.

Um...I'm not sure how I missed that, LD. I think it's because I only drop in and out of Colored Stones and spend most of my time in Hangout and Jewelry Pieces. Still. I love red stones. You'd have thunk anything that big and beautiful would have penetrated the mists of Pricescope and found me! All I can say is: WOW!!! Is there a thread with more photos tucked away somewhere?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
winternight|1326166001|3099085 said:
Thanks for the helpful comments. I really appreciate it. I think since the stone doesn't really have the glow or color I thought it would I'll be sending it back. I seem to have very bad luck with picking out colored gems unfortunately!!

Winternight - I have to say that I think you're making the right decision. I find that my expectations should match a vendor's photo and if a gem arrives and there's a signficant difference, I really struggle finding the love for it. I'm sorry to hear that you've not had much luck picking out gems. Persevere with it and try not to be disheartened. I still send gems back and I've been collecting for many years. Thankfully with the age of the internet, forums like this can help considerably so we avoid as many problems as we might if shopping on our own!

Deb - don't think I've ever made a thread on that Ruby. Some of my gems/jewellery only come out every now and again and I tend to stay away from opening threads on them all! Honestly, this is an old gem/ring and so it's not one that I think about much!!!! A bit like a shopaholic I'm always moving onto the next project! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results