shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you guys think of this sapphire?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you buying it for yourself or did the recipient pick it out???

shreez

Rough_Rock
My gf initially picked out the stone. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad they gave you a huge discount because sapphires that color are not particularly expensive or valuable. I am not infatuated with that color, but if she likes it, and it seems to be well cut, then go for it. I personally would not pay more than $100/ct for a sapphire of that color, but that's me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the cut is nice, but the color really is not. But if she loves it, then that is what counts! I just wanted to be sure you weren't picking it out as a surprise!

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
I can't say much about pricing, I don't really know the "value" of something like that.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I really like it. Its really cool.

shreez

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the replies! For those that don't particularly like the color of this gemstone, can you articulate why you're not crazy about it? Is it because you don't like green/bi-color in general, or because you don't like green/bi-color sapphires for some reason? My understanding from my research is that this color is actually quite rare, so I'm trying to get an idea of why it might not be desireable.

At any rate, she picked out the stone, and this was her favorite one, so ultimately that is all that matters. It is for a ring that she will probably wear for the rest of her life, so it is only really important that she likes it.

Also, what do you think of the QUALITY of the gem?

anotsomadhatter

Rough_Rock
Not in love with it either, but if she likes it that's really what matters.

Price seems very high for the color - I hope they gave you a great discount!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shreez|1325791136|3095856 said:
Thanks for all of the replies! For those that don't particularly like the color of this gemstone, can you articulate why you're not crazy about it? Is it because you don't like green/bi-color in general, or because you don't like green/bi-color sapphires for some reason? My understanding from my research is that this color is actually quite rare, so I'm trying to get an idea of why it might not be desireable.

At any rate, she picked out the stone, and this was her favorite one, so ultimately that is all that matters. It is for a ring that she will probably wear for the rest of her life, so it is only really important that she likes it.

Also, what do you think of the QUALITY of the gem?

Not that rare, as I've seen many of these on ebay and the like, and they were always rather inexpensive. I personally do not like it because the yellow is not particularly saturated (full of rich color) and the blue looks like an ink spot or stain. Just not my thing, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't appeal to you or anyone else. It's also rather small and since sapphire is a very dense stone, it will look like a 1/2 to 3/4 carat of something else. Not sure if that matters to your fiancee, as she may like more demure pieces. I just think it won't be that noticeable once its set, and any gold color you use, yellow, white, rose, will just make the stone disappear. It just doesn't pop, if you know what I mean. JMO, as you wanted opinions.

As for QUALITY, the gem world counts on color, color, color, first and foremost, and this gem just doesn't have great color. Sapphires are prized for even color and good saturation of color.

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
I really like it, but I like parti-color sapphires. Have you seen it in person yet? I've heard things about NSC and photoshop, but hopefully it will be as represented this time. I think the cut looks nice, and it isn't windowed!

I do agree that it is very expensive for the type of stone it is. Parti-sapphires are generally very inexpensive, because they just aren't regarded as highly desirable. Most people dislike color zoning in sapphires, and multicolored sapphires... well, that's what they've got in spades!

I don't think they are particularly rare, to be honest, but that might be because demand is low, so you see a lot of them around.

Here's an example of an ebay parti-colored sapphire. Generally, the more blue they have, the more they cost. Green is considered a generally "undesirable" color in sapphires (not that they aren't pretty, just not in high demand by the majority of consumers), so they tend to be less expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Aus...7262?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item3cbfb2da1e

I'd agree, about $100 a carat is the most I would expect to pay for a parti-colored sapphire, and it would have to be really exceptionally beautiful and well-cut for that.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
based on the picture posted, I like the cut but not the color.

Why I don't like the color is because it looks blotchy, and a bit streaky. I love stones that have more than a single color, got plenty in my own collection. How the stone is laid out, it looks a bit an ink pen lost its ink on it (ink blots).

The love of parti colored sapphires are a matter of choice IMO. Some like them, some don't. Some can be really beautiful and some aren't.

Also, I wouldn't call the color rare. This looks like a typical parti colored sapphire to me.

But the reality is this; if she likes the color and the price is good for the stone, then get it. Those are the 2 things that matter the most in this whole thing. I will agree with TL and say that I also feel its a bit on the high side for a parti colored stone, but if you can get them to knock the price down, great. NSC is a retail company/brick and mortar store and they will typically be higher than what you see on the internet for a similar stone.

-A

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian|1325792559|3095880 said:
based on the picture posted, I like the cut but not the color.

Why I don't like the color is because it looks blotchy, and a bit streaky. I love stones that have more than a single color, got plenty in my own collection. How the stone is laid out, it looks a bit an ink pen lost its ink on it (ink blots).

The love of parti colored sapphires are a matter of choice IMO. Some like them, some don't. Some can be really beautiful and some aren't.

Also, I wouldn't call the color rare. This looks like a typical parti colored sapphire to me.

But the reality is this; if she likes the color and the price is good for the stone, then get it. Those are the 2 things that matter the most in this whole thing. I will agree with TL and say that I also feel its a bit on the high side for a parti colored stone, but if you can get them to knock the price down, great. NSC is a retail company/brick and mortar store and they will typically be higher than what you see on the internet for a similar stone.

-A
I second this. The stone is listed as sold--did you buy it?

shreez

Rough_Rock
Yep! I bought it... Ultimately, she loves the cut and color, so she is going to get it, even if it is a bit overpriced even with the discount...

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think with some imagination, the color could look like a reflection of green leaves and blue sky in a lake on a midsummer day. Or something romantic like that. It could definitely be beautiful in your girlfriend's eyes. But the price!!! I hope the discount was deep on that one. If you bought it, please post pics!

Also, maybe you could play up the various colors with blue and green sidestones. Make it into a fun design.

- Anya

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not my cup of tea but she likes it and that's what matters most. It isn't a highly prized nor rare colour though. On a positive note, it IS very well cut.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
shreez|1325795131|3095908 said:
Yep! I bought it... Ultimately, she loves the cut and color, so she is going to get it, even if it is a bit overpriced even with the discount...

The love of your life saw something in that stone that grabbed her, and like I said, that matters. Parti sapphires are very unique in that way. So I hope you're not put out or anything, people here tend to be honest if you ask (sometimes a bit more than you want sometimes), and with stones like engagement stones it can be a bit emotional. Please do stick around, we're not meanies (mostly :saint: )

The cut from the image looks to be really nice on that stone, and that goes a long way.

Have you picked out a setting yet? You can go so many ways with this, I have to admit, I kinda see with its coloration a leaf motif band.

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice, a classic setting for a pretty unique stone. I would love to see the end result and hope you post pictures :mrgreen:

-A

shreez

Rough_Rock
Here is what it is supposed to look like! :)

image003.png

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats on your engagement! and for involving your GF in the decisions!

personally, i like the stone....but then i like the unusual. since you got it at a discount and if its good cutting and clarity when you get it, well, i don't think you overpaid at all.

i like that the setting is simple and will let this sapphire be the star of the show.

i hope it meets your expectations when you receive it and when she sees it. please let her see it before you set it...just in case!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the color. Just because the color isn't "desirable" doesn't mean it isn't stunning. I was originally looking for something like that for my e-ring but couldn't find it at the time and went with blue. I personally think the coloring is fantastic, and love the distribution of the blue.

NSC has a rep of photoshopping their website images, so I don't think anyone here can accurately comment on the quality (other than colorwise) until we see in-person pictures. And it may not be rare in that there are lots of green/bicolor sapphire on the market... but it WILL be rare in that most people who aren't gemstone aficionados don't know that things like that even exist, and will likely be very impressed by it.

The setting looks lovely - please post pics when you have the completed ring! (And handshots - at PS, people LIVE for pictures of the ring on the hand.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results