shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help looking for a diamond - $10k Budget

cspear1

Rough_Rock
Hello PriceScopers,

I am looking to buy a diamond in the next 30 days, and have narrowed down the criteria, but just need a diamond. It will be set in a yellow gold setting. After all I have read, I will sink most of the money into the best cut possible. After the cut, here is where my preferences lie:

$10,000 budget for the diamond
1.3+ carat, princess cut
Prefer H color or better (unless you think otherwise)
Prefer VS2 or better (unless you think otherwise)
Eye Clean

I do live in Miami, I have been to the Seybold Building, and after speaking with Joseph Tenhagen (who came recommended per this site), I found a nice jeweler. Not necessarily going to buy from him, but he did say he could beat the online prices, if I printed them out and brought in the diamond of interest.

Thank you for any and all replies! Happy New Year!

marchesa6989

Shiny_Rock
hi cspear! i did a quick search on jamesallen and here's one that fit into your specs
1.71 H VS2 $10220 http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1397593.asp

i'd suggest asking JA to do an idealscope to check the light return and performance of the diamond, and to confirm eye-cleaness on the stone

there's also this one from Whiteflash
1.296 H VS2 $7490 http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2690310.htm
they've done all the work already and have the idealscope which shows great light return and have confirmed its eye clean. it's also one of their A Cut Above diamonds which have absolutely ideal cut. but IMO i think investigating the JA stone could provide better value for money as its quite a substantial size difference there.

cspear1

Rough_Rock
Marchesa,
Thanks. I actually got the ASET images from JA a few weeks ago. I don't think they are any good.
aset1.jpg aset2.jpg

I was hoping for a little larger than the WF one, but will look at it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
cspear1|1325793362|3095887 said:
Marchesa,
Thanks. I actually got the ASET images from JA a few weeks ago. I don't think they are any good.
aset1.jpg aset2.jpg

I was hoping for a little larger than the WF one, but will look at it.

that ASET doesn't look good but not surprising...it didn't look that good in the picture.

here are a few...

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2733361.htm

1.23 solasfera
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8960/

can your local jeweler call in some AGS0 princesses for you?

cspear1

Rough_Rock
I like the two diamonds above. Would anyone recommend I scale back on the cut a little in order to go a little larger on the carats? If so, what diamonds would you then recommend?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I love sparkly things, so my personal preference is for slightly smaller but extremely lovely diamonds with excellent cuts so that they have more personality, rather than a larger diamond with poorer performance.

The important thing is if your SO has a specific size expectation, then we can work around the constraints of the budget to select the best performing stone in that size range.

marchesa6989

Shiny_Rock
i'm not a princess cut expert by any means so i'll leave the others to it. i know a little more about rounds ;)) good luck with your search!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I found the same ones slg did, so there's just not a lot available right now with your particular specs. I would not sacrifice cut, though.

cspear1

Rough_Rock
In regards to the GOG diamond, isn't a small table not a good thing with a princess cut. I have seen that many of GOG's diamonds have small tables. Why is that?

I prefer the dimensions of the 1.5 ct. JA diamond.

There is no size constraints by my girlfriend, she would be happy with any size diamond she would receive.

Anyone have any thoughts about either the GOG or JA diamond? Thanks!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Smaller tables are only 1 part of the total equation. More importantly are those table sizes in combination and relation to crown and pavilion angles in the princess cut. Small tables alone does not produce high optics. Seeing them side by side and you'd understand why I pick what I do. I have videos showing the why's behind the reasoning.

Regards,
Jonathan

cspear1

Rough_Rock
Rhino - can you share those videos? What is your take on the above GOG and JA diamonds?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
a link to the videos is in Rhino's signature :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cspear, maybe if you got an ASET for the JA stone, it would help. The WF one is the most expensive, the GOG one is an I, and the JA one is the biggest. Choices, choices....

cspear1

Rough_Rock
Rhino - I appreciate the videos, I have actually seen several of yours before, I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. They are informative. I appreciate your input and actually check your website on almost a daily basis! Looking on your website, if I didn't go for a solasfera, what would be your next step down?

Has anyone on here bought any of GOG's solasfera princess cuts before? If so, what sold you on it over other diamonds you saw? Thank you!

JulieN - I have requested the ASET, it will be early next week before I get it.

cspear1

Rough_Rock
OKay, it finally arrived. Here is the image of the JA diamond. Again, I am still learning, but I don't think this JA diamond ASET image looks very good.

What are your thoughts about it? THANKS!

aset%20123.jpg

aznknightt

Rough_Rock
it looks pretty good to me. I really think there's a problem with all James Allen ASETs, i don't think it's the diamond. Seen all their Asets and they all look dull and blurry.

cspear1

Rough_Rock
I received their email and this is what they said...
"I have great news, our gemologist has determined that diamond 1392340 has very good fire and brilliance! It's perfectly eye clean and has a high G color performance that faces a gorgeous white."

Anyone have any other thoughts on their feedback about the diamond or is this a typical sales pitch?

Rhino- do you have any diamonds that are comparable to JA's? Thanks.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes. I generally do not purchase for stock ones like the above but I have easy access to them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results