shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Cut Glass/Crystal Bead Necklace

ajoh3142

Rough_Rock
Happy New Year Everyone! I have a necklace that my grandfather gave my grandmother shortly before they were married in 1925. It is a necklace of cut glass or crystal beads. The beads are not cut with any particular design just facets all over, and between each bead is a small faceted rondelle. It finishes with a sterling silver clasp inset with another bead. I am worried about the piece however - given it's age. It has never been restrung, and the beads need cleaning more than just wiping with a damp cloth. I hate to just walk the piece into a shop that restrings beads or pearls because with the rondelles it looks more complicated. Strangely, after all of these years the necklace string has not loosened or expanded - it strung very tightly which makes me wonder if it is on thread, but it doesn't appear to be a wire either - can't really see it.

So, who do you all recommend to undertake a restringing and cleaning for an heirloom piece like this?

Thank you in advance for any recommendations/help.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I think you could clean it yourself with hot water and green Dawn.

1 Plunges the necklace and let it soak 12 hours
2- Change water (redo Dawn + hot water)
3- Take a baby toothbrush and gently brush it all around the stones
4- Rince in hot water only (without soap)
5- Sponge your necklace in a towel that does not fluff
6- Let it dry

Probably, you will see how your necklace is do when wash. If it's rope, bring it to a jeweler to check the rope or if it's metal, you are safe to wear it like this.

It would be fun to have photos of this piece!

nfree

Rough_Rock
i have an antique cut crystal necklace. it is strung with silver wire. the silver wire seems to have left black gunk in a few of the string holes of the crystals. when i move them slightly forward of their seating, the wire is clean; the crystal has the black. any way to clean this you have found? everything else is perfect. thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results