shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone appears less shiny and darker after I brough it home?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pastrami

Rough_Rock
As some of you might know, I just purchased a stone this past weekend :)
The problem is after it was set and I took it home, there''s a lot less sparkle and it appears darker in the center. Is this normal? When I was looking at the diamond in the store it was loose so I don''t know if having it set would make it look like that?

I checked the laser inscription before I left and it matched the GIA cert. Am I just over thinking this?

Any suggestions is appreciated.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
jewelry store lights are evil. That''s the answer (although it usually looks darker in the store). The lights are used to make the stones scintillate and sparkle.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I could simply be the lighting in your home. Do you have any halogen spotlights?

The lighting in jewelery stores is specifically geared to make your diamond sparkle and look great. In other lighting it may take on different qualities. If you worried - take it back to the store and look at it there while in the setting - it may be just fine.

I actually do have halogen spotlights in my home - and my ring does look differently under that light than it does regular incandecent lighting, vs office lighting, vs natural lighting.

pastrami

Rough_Rock
darn, I don''t have any halogen spotlights ... I was just a little bummed that when I took it home it shined a lot less, it was more like a glass stone than anything :)

Guess I was little worried about a bait and switch. I''ll take it back to the store and check it out. :)

Anyone else have the same experiences?

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds take on a different personality in every light. In some lights I''m sure it''ll blow you away. In other lights, not as much. I think this is normal, even with the best stones. There are threads about it, run a search on pricescope with "sunlight" and you''ll get a lot more info. With the diamonds I''ve seen, I find bright sunlight is the absolute worst light...

I think a lot of people are surprised that their diamonds look very different when in normal lighting...

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/9/2004 1:12:38 PM
Author:pastrami

Am I just over thinking this?

Any suggestions is appreciated.
Hi,

Yes, it sounds like you might be.

Relax.

Most lighting situations at home are different than a jewlery store.

Take it out side when the sun is out, or in a place with incandescent spot lighting.

It should look the same as when you bought it.

Also, diamonds have to be spotless to perform at their optimal, be sure the diamond is clean, no fingerprints, etc.

reena

Ideal_Rock
yes, don''t worry, it may be the light. my diamond looks awesome in store/office/elevator/subway lighting, OK but not awesome at home, and fairly dark in direct bright sunlight. it all just depends.

try this--go outside when it''s sunny, but instead of looking at the diamond in the direct sunlight, turn your back to the sun and look at the stone in the shadow in front of you that your body makes.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
my stone looks its absolute BEST in those conditions.

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/9/2004 1:46:10 PM
Author: reena
yes, don't worry, it may be the light. my diamond looks awesome in store/office/elevator/subway lighting, OK but not awesome at home, and fairly dark in direct bright sunlight. it all just depends.

try this--go outside when it's sunny, but instead of looking at the diamond in the direct sunlight, turn your back to the sun and look at the stone in the shadow in front of you that your body makes.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Reena - mine looks the best that way too! And really bright direct sunlight does make it dark and grayish. I wonder if that's a cushion thing, or if that happens with every stone? You'd think bright light would be a good thing...

I cannot wait to get it back. I am going to go to Tiffany's and check it out in those lights and see how it does! Have you done that yet?

reena

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

Date: 12/9/2004 2:14
6.gif
0 PM
Author: cushioncut

Date: 12/9/2004 1:46:10 PM
yes, don''t worry, it may be the light. my diamond looks awesome in store/office/elevator/subway lighting, OK but not awesome at home, and fairly dark in direct bright sunlight. it all just depends.

try this--go outside when it''s sunny, but instead of looking at the diamond in the direct sunlight, turn your back to the sun and look at the stone in the shadow in front of you that your body makes.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Reena - mine looks the best that way too! And really bright direct sunlight does make it dark and grayish. I wonder if that''s a cushion thing, or if that happens with every stone? You''d think bright light would be a good thing...

I cannot wait to get it back. I am going to go to Tiffany''s and check it out in those lights and see how it does! Have you done that yet?
cool, maybe it IS a cushion thing.
9.gif
when are you getting your ring back? i''m dying to see it. haven''t made it to tiff''s yet (i try to stay away during the holiday rush
32.gif
) but i''ve checked it out in other jewelry stores and it''s disco ball central!

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/9/2004 2:24:31 PM

cool, maybe it IS a cushion thing.
9.gif
when are you getting your ring back? i''m dying to see it. haven''t made it to tiff''s yet (i try to stay away during the holiday rush
32.gif
) but i''ve checked it out in other jewelry stores and it''s disco ball central!

I don''t know when I will get it. My bf is not saying a word about it anymore.
32.gif

(I hope it will be soon though!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results