shape
carat
color
clarity

Side stone proportion question

kt

Shiny_Rock
I just got a gorgeous 6.7mm round spinel from Dana and i was thinking of setting it in a simple 3-stone setting (maybe a trellis design)...would two 3.5mm round side diamonds look good in proportion to a center stone of that size? Is there a rule of thumb on proportion between side stones vs. center stones?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
No real rules, just what pleases your eye! Could you post a photo of the stone, and then you might get a little more feedback.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Something I've done is make scaled cardstock cut outs to play with layout. So for instance if you had a stone that was an 8x6mm oval, make a 8x6cm oval out of paper, trace and and cut out some 3cm circles or perhaps some 2x3 pears, etc.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size of the sidestones recommended usually depends on the look/feel the owner wants to emphasize. Smaller sidestones let the center stone pop up, appearing a smidge larger on the finger. Sidestones that are closer in size to the centerstone makes it look more like a 3 stone trinity of sorts. There is no hard and fast rule on sidestone sizing relative to the centerstone. I like the idea of cutouts although I'm more into just drawing it out on a piece of paper, rather than drawing, then cutting it out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results