shape
carat
color
clarity

Showing off the ring before engagement???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Simple question: Is it ok to show off the engagement ring to friends/family before giving it to my g/f? I''d like to have them hold it for me in a safe location they have, but i may have to show them first. Is this alright, or is it customary to not let anyone see it until she sees it?

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know if there are any traditions or rules of etiquette going against showing off the ring beforehand. I do know that engagement (along with marriage) is one of the most important events in a woman''s life, and ideally only happens once. A lot of the joy is derived from being able to share her excitement with friends and family and being showing off her ring, and having everyone fawn over her. By revealing the ring before she receives it, her family and friends may be less impressed seeing her rock for the second time. I vote for letting your fiance having the pleasure all to herself.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input. I''d never show it to her friends and family. I did show it to my mom & dad just before because I gave it to them to hold, but that is it! I''m sure they will put on a good show when she gets it.

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
Oh, okay! Sorry, I understood the question as showing off to her friends/family. I think it''s okay that you showed your parents. Just make sure when you''re showing, that you don''t let anyone try it on. You''ve finally decided to give her the ring!
36.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2004 10
6.gif
5:18 AM
Author:wonka27
Simple question: Is it ok to show off the engagement ring to friends/family before giving it to my g/f? I''d like to have them hold it for me in a safe location they have, but i may have to show them first. Is this alright, or is it customary to not let anyone see it until she sees it?
I understood the question the same way AB did. You do say "show off the engagement ring to friends/family"!

I think it is ok to show your parents, but I agree with AB not to let anyone try it on (kinda superstitious
32.gif
) and let your g/f do the "showing off"!!
9.gif

Congratulations on the upcoming event!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My wifey2b was a little upset that several people had seen it before she did.
Part of the problem was that I showed it to my sister at a church picnic a couple days after I got it and she passed it around to everyone at church.
I did not expect that to happen and it wasnt intentional.
My wifey2b didnt make a big deal out of it but I could tell it bugged her.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
My fiance showed my ring to his mom and sister before he gave it to me. That didn''t bother me at all. I probably wouldn''t have even minded him showing some of his friendss. but.. I wouldn''t have wanted say MY mom to see the ring before I did.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s ok to show your parents. It would even be ok to show her parents if her parents know that you are planning the proposal. But as far as her friends, let her have the chance to show it off. I don''t know about you, but I shocked my friends with my ering and it was so fun. So don''t take that away from her.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all for the reassuring words. It is kind of hard to ask someone to keep something for you without showing it to them
emteeth.gif

I''ve held on to this ring long enough. I was going to give it to her about a month ago or so, but we decided to buy a house together. I thought it would be a nice time to give it to her when we take possession of the house. That happens on Dec. 20th, so the engagement will happen quickly after that
emlove.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
You could propose at the closing. That''d be memorable. Put the ring in a little house ring box.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know...I might get a little wierded out by proposing with people there that I really don''t know.

I was thinking right when we go to the house after closing...like right after we walk in the door.

We''ll see...I have a couple ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results