shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Homemade E-ring... 2mm ok? What about prongs?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Yet another vote for NO PLATING! It looks great as-is and she could get it plated later if she decides she wants that look. But the fact that you made the whole ring with no outside help? Priceless. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Now... about wedding bands... :naughty:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, Bravo! Bravo! BRAVO!!!!!!

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Oh My GOODNESS! I just found this tread and I'm bookmarking it.

You are amazing and she's going to be blown away. I took my first wax carving, casting and stone setting classes this year and yes, I learned bench jeweler skills are really hard ( esp. compared to cutting stones which doesn't include scary chemicals ).

This is one heck of an heirloom you created sir.

More importantly a man who can put that much love and time into a piece of jewelry, is definitely a man who will put in tons of love and time into his marriage.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Undercover999|1323925825|3081989 said:
Its done! Done done done done done!!

... moral of the story: TIP YOUR JEWELER! This shit is HARD.

:lol:

999-it's lovely-bravo! :appl:
(I also love it un-plated-very soft/creamy)

Thanks so much for sharing your process, and good luck with the proposal!

affguy

Shiny_Rock
Huge props man. I've been checking in almost daily and your frustration last weekend was palpable. The final result would have been cool regardless of how it turned out, but that fact that it looks great in addition to the story behind it is all the better. Well done, have fun with the proposal. :appl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this thread deserves a Sticky. This really is the coolest thread I've probably ever seen on here. Congrats on the success, it was worth it because that ring is deeevine.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Amazing! :appl: :love: :appl:

It looks fantastic! - Congratulations Undercover999 you did a really nice nice job. I'm sure she will love it! I'm so glad all of your hard work paid off.

Best of luck on the proposal! (Dont forget to post handshots of it on her finger!)

If it ends up fitting a little loose (not that it will, but it could due to the thin band), don't worry, because wearing it with a wedding band will tighten the fit due to the extra finger compression.

I'm truly impressed by your stunning result.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
This is truly a labour of love. Your future wife will adore it and see your love whenever she looks at that ring. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
So, when you go to get insurance on the ring, are you going to create an invoice for all of your man-hours? :)

Undercover999

Rough_Rock
sonnyjane|1324075941|3083088 said:
So, when you go to get insurance on the ring, are you going to create an invoice for all of your man-hours? :)

Hahaha. I'm not sure I could ever afford the premium if I did that.

You all have convinced me though: I'll hold off on the plating. If she wants it we can have it done later.

Thanks all, been a fun project! Big day is Sunday, methinks.

anotsomadhatter

Rough_Rock
Amazing! :love: I too have been following your story and it's just incredible. :appl: Can't wait for handshots. Best of luck with the proposal!

ETA: Just noticed you're "Jewel of the Week" -- Congrats!

princessre

Rough_Rock
Wow, what you did was TRULY AMAZING!! Are you going to make your wedding bands too? Good luck on the proposal on Sunday! Can't wait to hear her reaction to your ring-making story!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: So glad that you are not plating it!!!!!! I can't wait to hear her reaction! Please update us after you propose!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
This is by far my favorite thread so far. So incredibly romantic!! I know she will treasure (and wear proudly) your labour of love....oh it just makes my heart happy for you both.. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Undercover, Your project has been amazing to watch. Thanks so MUCH for sharing your journey!

I'm dying to know what you do for a living in real life. Are you an engineer? A chemist? What?

Congratulations! You are clearly a very good egg! Best wishes to you both!

Scint....

lospants

Rough_Rock
Congrats on the finished product, it looks AMAZING. I followed your thread from the Jewel of the Week link and all I have to say is WOW! I am so impressed by your commitment and your skills (especially in a time crunch). I hope the proposal goes well and that your lady realizes how lucky she is to have you!

Maybe you could start making jewelry on the side, like on Etsy or something. The process was really interesting and fun to read about, even if I didn't entirely understand it at times. I love seeing behind the scenes stuff of anything!

Undercover999

Rough_Rock
Scintillating|1324139010|3083432 said:
I'm dying to know what you do for a living in real life. Are you an engineer? A chemist? What?

For a living??? Obviously I just sit around the house all day dreaming up ways to spend my prodigious amount of free time. ;-) ;-) :D

Seriously though, I'm a physicist/aeronautical engineer by day and a voracious tinkerer and profligate spender of money by ni... er all the time.

In case you all haven't seen my other thread... she said yes!! But, no, I did not tell her the ring is home made. Eventually.

IMG_0034e.jpg
IMG_0042e.jpg
IMG_0081e.jpg IMG_0084e.jpg

Thanks everyone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Undercover999|1324320743|3084664 said:
Scintillating|1324139010|3083432 said:

For a living??? Obviously I just sit around the house all day dreaming up ways to spend my prodigious amount of free time. ;-) ;-) :D

Seriously though, I'm a physicist/aeronautical engineer by day and a voracious tinkerer and profligate spender of money by ni... er all the time.

Thanks everyone.

My husband and father are both mechE/aero/astro people too. Now if only they were more like you in *finishing* the projects they start...

I replied in your other thread, but in any case a HUGE CONGRATS on your engagement :bigsmile: :appl: :appl: :appl:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
So very happy for you and your bride-to-be, 999!!! You have really gained momentum as you've worked through this project, and the effort force you put into it was well worth it!

nararabbit

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! She is a lovely girl, and no doubt a kind and sweet one as well to warrant such devotion from her now fiance.

I'd love to see this stickied too!

Undercover999

Rough_Rock
DOH! It was supposed to be a surprise, but one of my confidants get a little tipsy and let the secret loose. Sigh. :twirl:

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure, this was how I'd intended to break the news to her in a few weeks. Its a video of the whole process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVqWmtqm55I

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Totally awesome!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
Your fiance is one lucky girl! I've been following this thread since you started and it is really amazing how much effort you have put into this.
Wow... Just. WOW!!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Undercover999|1324691992|3087807 said:
DOH! It was supposed to be a surprise, but one of my confidants get a little tipsy and let the secret loose. Sigh. :twirl:

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure, this was how I'd intended to break the news to her in a few weeks. Its a video of the whole process:

Your video is cooler than than the Large Hadron Collider. Even though I knew it ended well, I was still freaking out watching you set the stone. Let us know what she says when she sees it!

And with the Purdue sweatshirt, I think it is safe to say you have redefined what a "Boilermaker" does !!!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Undercover999|1324691992|3087807 said:

You're not out of the woods with us yet!!! What did she SAY once she saw this video and found out YOU are the one that made this ring from scratch?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my, UNDERCOVER THAT WAS AWESOME!!!! what a great video! I am sooo impressed with your skills and talents. Even tho I've been following the thread, to see it come to life in that video, was incredible!

You are very talented (and have a pretty awesome set up in your garage/basement, BTW!) :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Now, we need a video of the proposal and her reaction (aside from the photos above!) Congratulations - you are truly a top notch fiance!

SCrane

Rough_Rock
Wow. I can't believe that you managed to create a beautiful ring on your own! Seriously, you have to show this thread to your fiance. She needs to know how much effort went into her ring. I'm sure that she would be so proud of you!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

HOLY GAUC! Did you set that baby yourself? Well done man! :appl:

Congrats on your engagment--you guys are cute! (and your gal has gorgeous teeth! :bigsmile: )

cheers--Sharon

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
I never really post on PS, but this whole process has just been amazing. You both look so lovely in your engagement photos, and the ring turned out beautifully. Congratulations to you both :appl:

sushi

Shiny_Rock
MORE THAN INCREDIBLE! You are so brave and thoughtful, not to mention talented! I cant get my DH to even water a plant!

May you have a lifetime of happiness together!
xoxo sushi

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results