shape
carat
color
clarity

Art deco engagement ring (need advice)

Electricityme

Rough_Rock
Hi! Could anyone give me some advice as to where I should be looking for an antique platinum art deco diamond ring? I have a small budget (about $1000), so I have been looking at Ebay, but how trustworthy is that? I know that with antique rings you can't really know the grade of the diamond. I live in Denver, does anyone know of antique jewelry stores near me?
Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Here are some Ebay and Etsy rings that I am looking at. What do you think?:)

1.http://www.ebay.com/itm/200395258863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1350wt_1130

2.http://www.ebay.com/itm/230693685581?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_3503wt_1182

3.http://www.ebay.com/itm/190595093378?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_1352wt_896

4.http://www.etsy.com/listing/80696271/vintage-diamond-solitaire-ring-44-points

Thanks again for all of your expertise!!

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
I like the look of #2. Ebay is a bit of a gamble but with good reviews and at least a 7 day return policy, I think you should be safe. Good luck!

Electricityme

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies!! If I did buy one off of Ebay, should I go and have it appraised before the return deadline? Where would I do that? :p

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is the perfect ring! I'd love to hear what others thing about it too. I had saved this ring because I just think it is so pretty, especially the stone!!

**edited at request of poster**

The other rings you posted, while lovely, do not necessarily speak "engagement ring" to me. I hope I do not offend with that statement. If your girlfriend indicated that she wants a ring like one of those, then please ignore me, and forgive me, but just had to say that.

I will let others comment on the appraisal (as I've never actually had one!) I'd probably be satisfied just to bring the ring to a local jewelry store to make sure the ring is about the color and clarity advertised.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MDS - That is a very pretty setting!!!

Kelpie - I had trouble opening your links. :blackeye: I could see the photos for the second one (lovely!), but couldn't get to the listing. :confused:

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I love the diamond (so beautiful and sparkly) on the one you purchased and the setting is very pretty too!

I'm no expert on appraisers but I took my vintage ring to a store near me that specializes in selling vintage rings. Their appraiser is GIA and also some other 3 letter designation that slips my mind right now--AGA???? Anyway, I asked him for a full report as I wanted the appraisal report with the photo of the ring, and also the plot diagram that showed what and where the inclusions were. I believe it cost me around $150 (it might have been less than that I can't recall) and well worth the money spent.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1322393076|3069430 said:
I think this is the perfect ring! I'd love to hear what others thing about it too. I had saved this ring because I just think it is so pretty, especially the stone!!

**edited at request of poster**

The other rings you posted, while lovely, do not necessarily speak "engagement ring" to me. I hope I do not offend with that statement. If your girlfriend indicated that she wants a ring like one of those, then please ignore me, and forgive me, but just had to say that.

I will let others comment on the appraisal (as I've never actually had one!) I'd probably be satisfied just to bring the ring to a local jewelry store to make sure the ring is about the color and clarity advertised.

Did you win it LV? that is a pretty cut.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Swimmer,

So nice to see you here! :wavey:

To answer your question, I didn't, but then I did! I thought it was a beautiful ring, but never intended to purchase it. Then, when I saw how much it sold for, I sort of wish I had! When I clicked on the link, I noticed the seller had it listed again. Apparently, the first bidder never paid, so she re-listed it. I have an upcoming birthday, so I splurged! It will be a right hand ring, after I get it re-sized, unless I decide to do something else with the stone, which is unlikely.

I'll start a new thread when I get it. :)) Til then, here she is.

flowery oec.JPG

NE Jewels

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm kind of an old school type of guy.. whatever happened to visiting your local jewelry store and checking their estate collection?
I'm not familiar with Denver but there are many stores in the north east that specialize in estate jewelry and you might be surprised at the relatively reasonable prices and qualities you can find there.

Cheers

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results