shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Strollers- Honestly I rarely use my umbrella stroller. I keep it in my car and use it occasionally for errands but usually use the BOB. I work though, so I can run lots of errands without the kid. Grocery store, he goes in the cart. Most stores I take him I can walk to, and I can manuever the BOB well enough. It's just wide so something to keep in mind. Until he got bigger, I also stuck him in the Bjorn for errands.

I think you can totally get away with just an UppaBaby, the BJ Citi Mini, or the Bumbleride if you aren't a massive jogger. If I was going to do it again, I probably would have gotten one of the above and not the BOB. I love my Bob, but I don't really run.

And yes, you can totally figure this out later!!! I am glad I had the Snap-n-Go for right away as I was very stir crazy and took lots and lots of walks in the beginning. But you can just use an Ergo or Bjorn.

There are very few must-haves for right away, so don't stress. It's good to register for everything so if people WANT to buy you tons of stuff you can have it for later. I just put everything in the closet and then when I felt like I needed something, I went "shopping" in my closet. If we didn't have it, it wasn't difficult to go to the store or buy it online.

I had a friend go register with me and I had NO IDEA half the stuff I registered for. I still can barely tell you the difference b/w an activity mat, an exersaucer and a jumperoo! But weirdly the baby develops and you just think "I wish I had something to stick the baby in" and voila, you realize what the exersaucer is for. But you don't NEED that stuff right away.

I have a really edited list somewhere of must-haves I will try to find.

Pump- Yes I think they recommend breast as much as possible in the first month, but sometimes they will recommend that you have a pump to help stimulate your milk. It's definitely something you could run out and get if you need it.

NEL- Nice to have a few days to yourself! I love my DH, but I totally take advantage when he's gone and watch terrible girl movies or shoes, eat weird non-dinners, etc. Can you post a pic of the rug? I love your nursery, btw.

LC- I could be wrong about this, but I just asked my OB about gestational diabetes. I "think* she said that it doesn't really matter what you eat, it's how your body is processing the sugar or insulin (I forget which). And it's not you, it has something to do with the placenta. So point being, I don't think eating extra cookies is going to affect your results. Either your body is processing it correctly or it's not, if I understood her right. Then again, see above reindeer comment for my mental abilities at this point. ;)) My neighbor has it and she said it's really not that bad. BUT chances are you don't have it, so try not to stress about holiday cookies! And if you DO have it, might as well take advantage and eat them now. :cheeky:

As for the reindeer comment, my DH died laughing and threatened to post it on Twitter. Luckily for him, he did not. Last pregnancy I forgot the word for pencil. I was all "you know, that thing that you make marks with but not the blue kind, the kind you do math with?" I kid you not.

AFM- Not much pregnancy wise. Definitely showing now, which is weird, but still in the in-between phase. Regular pants with band are too uncomfortable but mat pants are too big. No more queasiness, thank god, and the headaches have seemed to lessen. Head is so not in the game at work, instead I am on here or Christmas shopping online. :cheeky:

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
China, thanks so much for your BTDT advice about strollers! That's why I love PS! How long do babies usually stay happy being pushed around in a car seat? If I can get by with just a snap-n-go until the baby outgrows the car seat, then that might be the easiest one to get first. Once the baby gets bigger, we could get a BOB or something. We live in Austin, so we drive everywhere. The only place we really walk is basically along the streets of our neighborhood, like a couple of blocks to the tennis courts/playscapes, or swimming pool, and even then, we don't do that very often because it's just too dang hot most of the year. Love your reindeer story! I asked my DH if reindeer were real the other night too! Any babymoon ideas for where to open your envelope yet?

LC, I'm sure you'll be able to find a stroller (once you decide what you want) from Craigslist. I just did a search for BOBs in Austin, and there's a ton! Making your sister's apron should be fun, and get you into the Christmas mood. The last time I was in the waiting area for some blood tests, there were like 3-4 ladies in there, all waiting for their 3-hour tests. They were all talking about what kind of lunch they would have as soon as they were done!

charbie, thanks for the info on strollers! I don't mind spending a little more on them, as long as I can figure out which one will give me the most use.

basil, thanks for the advice about the pumps and strollers! I guess every baby is different, with regards to being happy strapped in a car seat or not. All of my friends that I've asked all have the Medela In Style Advanced, so it sounds like it's a pretty good one.

NEL, I totally agree with you about the researching part being way worse than the actual buying part! There is a BBB in Austin, but it's a bit far (or rather, I hardly ever go that far south on a regular basis - in reality, it's probably like 45 minutes away). I have heard good things about it, so I'm interested in going to check them out. Yay for your insurance reimbursing you for your classes! You inspired me to check with my insurance, who doesn't cover breast pumps nor classes. Oh well, at least I get a pretty good discount on the pumps, once I decide which one to get. I think we like the Chicco Keyfit30 car seat too, because it looks so cushiony and the material feels a bit better than the Graco ones we've seen. As for the rug, if you don't like it, you can just exchange it for one you do like, and post a pic too!

AFM, one of the nurses at my OBs office informed me that Baby Boy was 10 ounces and in the 34th percentile for weight for babies that were 19w+5d, as ours was during our anatomy scan last week - small baby so far! I can't wait for him to get into the pound measurements because it just sounds more substantial once they're no longer only ounces! :rolleyes:

(20w+5d)

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
S&I- I'm in Houston, spent 3 years in grad school in Austin, love it there. I know this isn't helpful, but all babies are different. :cheeky: O was perfectly happy in his car seat for a long time. I actually can't remember when we stopped using the SnG, but I used it for probably 6 months? O is a little one though, so he fit comfortably in his infant seat for a long time. I also did the infant seat adapter for the Bob around 6 months, but I wish I'd done it earlier. It's a smoother ride. Check CL or something, I bet you could get a used SnG for cheap and see if you even like it.

Haven't decided yet on the envelope. We have a trip planned to Santa Barbara in March, but not sure I can hold off DH until then. Part of me wants to not find out at all, but it's hard now that we have an envelope! Trying to think of something or somewhere special to us and just open it here around Chrismtastime.

For those of you not finding out, check out this cute website called Not Finding Out (dot) (com). You can register there and they will send you an envelope/card to take to your dr to fill out the sex (but you don't see it) and then send it in. When you register for baby stuff, you can select "girl" "boy" or the "NFO" option. If you pick the NFO option, the company will pick pink or blue (or whatever appropriate color) depending on your envelope. Then they hold all the gifts until after you deliver, and then deliver everything to you. That way you can be surprised, but you can still have gender-specific gear and not have to do everything neutral. It's a cute idea!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
We did the card reveal in private and I have to admit, while I was against it initially, it was a lot of fun. We decided to go out for a nice dinner and opened it over dessert. It was nice just being able to find out ourselves in a fun setting. If/when we have #2, I'll definitely be doing it again. I've never had such jitters before opening a card before. And now we have a cute keepsake.

China, I probably wouldn't be able to wait until March (unless you decide not to find out at all), but it could be a fun little Christmas gift to open :) I think we only waited a day or two--luckily I already had our anniversary dinner planned, so we just turned it in to an anniversary/gender reveal dinner.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Was hoping to see an update from Elle so thought I would stop in and say congratulations to everyone! The holidays is such a beautiful time to have a baby, be pregnant, find out you're pregnant...pretty much an awesome time for baby news ;-)

Re strollers wanted to say that I only had the SNG and then an umbrella (Maclaren). It wasn't until recently that we bought the city mini. I took for granted how nice it is for the LO to have a comfortable stroller to nap in. Felt silly buying another at almost 2.5 years old but we are already thrilled with it (after she napped comfortably twice in it-once at Disney and once in the mall. IF you're looking for more than one stroller I would definitely recommend one of the comfy, close to full recline strollers.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quick check in.

Liam Jules was born 12/6 at 5:12 PM. 22 1/4 inches, 8 lbs 14 oz. After twenty hours of labor, 4 failed epidurals (scoliosis!) and 3 hours of being at 10 CM and not being able to get the baby to engage, I ended up with a c section. We literally messed up EVERY aspect of our birth plan! :cheeky: So be prepared for everything to go the exact opposite, just in case! Wishing you ALL happy, healthy pregnancies and easy safe deliveries! I will be back with more details and pictures, however, a few other PS mommas are friends with me on the unnamed site, so if they can post pictures for me, that would be great! Otherwise, I'll come back with pictures and details after I recoup a bit and stop staring at my kid!

He's so damn cute I can't get over it. Seriously. LOVE HIM! And daddy is absolutely enamored! :)

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats, Elle! Liam is a wonderful name. ;-) Looks like both our Liam's had the same plan in mind for their entrance into the world! Big congrats to you momma! Can't wait to see pics!

ps. how do I become friends with you on this unnamed site??

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
IHA - I figured you'd like that name! :)

Try to search for my screen name on there... I made a group page for it, and you should be able to find me.... :naughty:

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations Elle! I am sorry your birth didn't go exactly to plan, but I am glad you are so positive about it. Your love for your little man just shines through in your post :appl: How wonderful. Can't wait to see pictures of Liam.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Elle!!! Welcome to the world Liam! How exciting. I hope you and Mr. Elle are soaking everything in I can't wait to see pictures of the little one!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

~LC

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Elle!!! I love the name Liam!! :love: When my cousin named her son that a couple years ago (sorta named him after his father, William) I thought it was unusual at first because I had never heard that name before, but it totally grew on me and I've heard it becoming more popular! I hope you're enjoying your time staring at your new little man! I'm sure he's perfect :))

P.S. I was totally just stalking your wedding pictures...I remember you were married around the same time as me. Do you live in/near Ann Arbor, Michigan? We totally want to make a trip there to see a UofM football game sometime. DH is obsessed with that team!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Elle!! Congrats on little Liam! Liam is my #1 choice for a boys name, so of course I love it. You must be exhausted: long labor + failed epidurals + c-section = extremely exhausted mama. Did they end up doing the c-section via epidural or general anesthesia? Interesting about the epidurals--I have my anesthesiologist consult tomorrow at the hospital to review x-rays and records of my scoliosis...I've been told the chances of be being able to have a successful epidural are slim!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Elle!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: What a beautiful name, and I can't wait to see pics! So sorry about the failed epidurals - yikes!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, again, elledizzy! Soooooo excited for you, and he is so stinking cute. Totally understand what you mean about not wanting to take your eyes off of him! Ill post the pics from *the book* later when I get home from work to sghare his scrumptiousness with everyone for ya. His cheeks are so squishable and his little pout....why am I so baby crazy when I have a 3 month old of my own? Haha!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see pics of Liam!!! Congrats Elle :appl:

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Elle, and welcome Liam!! Wow, is it normal in the US to push for C-section after a day+ of labor?

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Elle, I found something but I don't believe it's you.... maybe I am unnamed site challenged?? Hmm...

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Iha: look up Liz Freke. My first name is Kate, and you can find me on her friends list. Then ill direct you to elledizzy.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
thanks Charbie! Found you! :)

charbie

Ideal_Rock
As promised- pictures of Liam Dizzy:

lilliam1.jpg

lilliam2.jpg

lilliam3.jpg

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Elle! Liam is a gorgeous baby, and I love his name :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
He is beautiful Elle!!! :love: :love:

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Charbie, thanks for posting the pics!

Elle, he is just so stinkin' adorable! :love: :love: :love: I totally understand you not wanting to stop staring at him!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Elle, congrats! What a beautiful baby!

~LC

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
Okay I totally have to agree with the others. He is soooo cute! Love lil boys! :love: Most of my family has girls and most of my friends aren't in the baby stage yet. So it's not very often that I get to see little boys!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Liam is such a cutie pie!! Thanks so much for posting pics!

Well, ladies, it looks like I'm having a c-section under general anesthesia. The anesthesiologist took an epidural off of the table completely (which I expected) and said she was worried about me having a natural childbirth given the stress it may put on my back. She said it was likely I would end up with a c-section, anyway, so we may as well just plan for it. The anesthesiologist still needs to talk with the neonatologist and my OB to discuss timing and whether or not D will be able to be in the room, but she's supposed to be in touch next week.

Also, Katie is doing very well and is measuring around 3lbs. 1oz.--my next ultrasound is next month to monitor her growth. They also checked on her bowel and everything is looking completely normal, so my worries continue to fade over time!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
NEL, hooray for your U/S! No pictures?? I'm totally jealous you get to see Katie so often, but even more so I'm over the moon happy that your docs think her bowel is OK and everything looks totally normal. Well, I hope they'll let D be in the room during the c-section. Someone will need to hold Katie and gush over her since you'll be under GA. But then you can tell D that you totally get the hog her once you wake up :devil: ;))

China, have you guys decided if you're opening the envelope for Christmas? It seems like a PERFECT time to do it! Maybe you can get a sitter and do a nice dinner with just the two of you. Or if you wanted to get O in on the fun, I think CupcakeMuffin had the bakery make a cake. The outside frosting was all white. The icing between the layers was either blue or pink.

S&I, It totally seems like the oz weight is so small for the baby. I'm sure your DS will be growing in leaps and bounds in the next few weeks. It seems like after 20 wks, the belly starts growing exponentially. Well, not really, but you get my point.

This weekend we're doing a gingerbread house decorating party. :) Now sure what we'll do on Sunday. Initially DH said to go car shopping but neither of us feel up to it. I'm inclined to regulate car shopping to "his department" since he pretty much said that pregnancy is "my department". This was over Thanksgiving. I have to say it kind of stung when he said that, so I'm trying initiate discussion about it.

Other than that, not much is going on. DS is definitely more active, and moving around more. He still sleeps a good deal and of course it's whenever DH puts his hand on my belly. :)

Tomorrow AM I've got a nurse appointment for life insurance physical. DH and I are getting policies for the baby. Sunday I get a massage :appl: Totally looking forward to it. Monday AM is my 3 hr glucose screening. I'll be out of the house from 7AM until 10PM. Early morning glucose test, then I'll head back to work, then I have a Girls' Night dinner with some friends. I told my sister I want to put DH on dog duty so she's returning the pup on Sunday night. DH totally gets out easy on so many things, I'm slowly going to stop doing so much around the house. For both me (and the pregnancy) and to make DH more self-sufficient.

Will post another Belly pic, maybe tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing OK!

~LC (29W, 1D)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Elle! It is so sweet to hear how new parents fall in love with their new babies! It is an awesome feeling!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Popping in with more congratulations for Elle! Your little man is so cute!

Will be back on Monday after my next doctor's appt for Weston for an update. :)

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
NEL: I am 20w5d today. I felt movement for the first time at exactly 18 weeks. The chair like thing is a PUJ tub - a foam baby bath that sits in a bathroom or kitchen sink for when baby is little so you don't have to bend over. Not sure if it will be worthwhile, as it will only last for a few months, but I liked the idea of it! I am glad your DH was finally able to feel Katie kick! My DH loves it when she cooperates and kicks his hand.

Yay for securing childcare! I haven't even looked into that yet, but I work in the outer suburbs of our city and I don't think there is too much demand for childcare out here.

I hope you are feeling okay about the planned c-section and I am glad that Katie's bowel is looking fine.

S&I: I had an obstetrician appointment during the week. He explained that they measure the length of the baby to calculate how far along she is. He said that after around 19 weeks, some babies are just bigger than others and ours is one of the big ones! My due date won't change. When I mentioned to the obstetrician that she measured ahead, he just said “Well, I'm not surprised, look at you!” DH and I are both really tall so I guess it makes sense that we will have a longer baby.

I have chosen a pram/stroller now after doing a bit of research. It is just a no frills steelcraft one, but it does everything I need it to do and is easy to fold up and manouevre so it will do! We haven't bought it yet because it only comes with a 12 month warranty so we want to wait until at least next year to make the most of the warranty after bubs is born.

LC: I am sorry you have had a rough week with your DH and the GD test. I hope your 3hr test goes well tomorrow. I have heard that a lot of women fail the first test and pass the second. I think Elle did.

Chinacat: LOL at your reindeer moment. People at work keep saying I have 'baby brain' when I forget something etc, but that is just how I am normally! But I am sure baby brain will be a convenient excuse at some point! We did the same thing as NEL (stole the idea from her actually) and asked our ultrasound tech to write down the sex on a card and then went out to dinner to open it. It was really nice to be able to react to it in a nice environment with just the two of us there.

AFM: Nothing new really, just trucking along. I realised that there are no big moments left during the pregnancy until the birth. We have no more ultrasounds, there is nothing left to find out until she is born! I am worried that the rest of the pregnancy is going to drag now!

My cousin has agreed to host a baby shower for me. No-one had offered and I didn't want to ask so my lovely DH asked her for me! I am worried though, as I have only been in my city for about a year and I don't make friends easily. I have come up with a list of a whole 11 people on it! I am worried that some won't come and it will be a pathetic party. A few of them I really don't feel comfortable with them feeling like they are expected to bring gifts as I don't feel like I know them well enough! I think I am going to ask that my cousin put on the invitations that no gifts are required or somehting like that. I really just want one to celebrate the baby, get together with my girlfriends and play some silly games! I had a pretty terrible hens night/bridal shower and don't want to miss out on this experience too but I am so anxious about it. :errrr:

Since I started to feel movement I have become really worried about my seatbelt when I drive. I can feel that it is sitting right above bean. I am worried about what would happen if I was in a crash and the seatbelt dug into me? Did anyone change the way they wore their seatbelt because of this? :confused:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results