shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you changed from a Smartphone to a regular one?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought my first smartphone over the weekend and I'm not sure it was the best decision. I talked to the guy at Verizon and he showed me the Samsung Stratosphere. I liked it and I really liked that it has a slide out keyboard, in case I can't get used to the touch screen. I've never been into tech stuff before, and I miss my easy-to-use Envy (a texting phone with big buttons compared to other phones). One thing I didn't really think about before was that I can't just feel my way around the phone if that makes sense. I knew exactly which buttons to press to make a call. Now, I have to press so many buttons to call someone, and it's annoying.

If I keep this new phone, I'll only check my e-mail and browse online if I'm waiting for an appt. In other words, I don't need anything fancy. I'm starting to think that I don't even need that, which is why I never bothered to get a Smartphone before. I have 2 weeks to return this new phone. Decisions, decisions.

What's been your experience?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have one for work, and it's just a PITA. I would return it in a heartbeat if that was an option. I can't imagine buying one for private use, at all. They are of no value to me.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Zoe, I have one and while I want to love it, I just cant. The plan has been suspended while we were out of the country and now that we are back, I am transferring my number to a "dumb" phone and selling the fancy dancy one. I just dont need all that it offers and I'm fine just being able to make calls and text.

I really, realy wish I had returned it when I could. If you are having doubts, I would return it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you need a different smartphone? You can get an iPhone on VZW. Maybe go play with that. It's a lot more simple.

My DH will be going back to a "dumb phone" if his iPhone dies. He has no interest in having this iPhone.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
NOSIREE BOB!!

i FINALLY switched from my reg cell this past august to a smartphone and there's no looking back! i absolutely love my samsung galaxy infuse. i'm hooked! it's now become a part of me. whether that's a sad comment or not, so be it. i can now do so many things on the go that it makes my life so much easier AND...

i love the fact that i can email pics of the kids, etc to my family who are spread across the continent. i had no clue what i was missing until i got this device.

texting is now a breeze! i have a hands-free voice activated app called vlingo which i can talk into the phone and it will text or email or call. it's so sweet! and since i'm always on the go in the car picking one kid up here and another there, it has made my life infinitely easier.

pre-august i had no clue what i was missing. now, i can't even ponder letting go of this thing and reverting back.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I go out to get away from computers not to take one with me so I don't/wont have one.
If my contract didn't require it I wouldn't have a cell at all.
The very few people who would actually need to contact me when I am out have my cell # they can call.
There is maybe once a year when id like to have one to use google maps and or gps to check directions otherwise have no use for one.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I'm with anitabee, I love my iPhone. I'm not as addicted to my phone as some of my family and friends are but it has really added so many conveniences to my life.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking about it... I've been a smart phone user since the iphone 3g. However, I'm getting sick of paying so much for the internet (at the house, on each of our phones... annoying). I'm thinking about going back to a plain old cell phone, but then the iphone 4s FI has makes me drool with envy.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right now I have the option to upgrade my phone to a smart phone and don't want to (I'm pretty sure I'd regret it). Current one is a touch screen that also has a slide out keyboard for easy texting and I don't wanna give that up. I do like having internet access but don't use it a lot... it comes in handy if I'm at a book store and want to check a review on Amazon and it's also nice for looking up phone numbers (cheaper than calling information!).

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Do you mean give up my iPhone for another phone? But then... no, I'm sorry, I don't understand the question :cheeky:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son and husband both have iPhones and love them. I bought an Android, but the salesman warned me that "the learning curve for Androids was steeper". Well, now I am panting and still no end to that learning curve! Android has immense potential but the battery life is so short I can not use half of its functions. iPhone seems to be more straightforward, and few of my friends complain.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the smartphone (Android). But I like it more since I got it through work and don't pay a cent for it.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an iPhone for my personal use and a Motorola Krazr- read "*DINOSAUR*" - for my work phone and between the 2, its iPhone hands down. All of us assigned to the crappy work phones are pushing for something else... a tin can and a string would be better! :rolleyes:

If its just talk/text, probably low tech is fine (except stay away from the Krazr unless you like pulling your hair out in frustration!) I guess it all depends what you need/want to do with the phone.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Jennifer, a friend of mine has one for work also and if she didn't have to use it, she wouldn't.

April, that's exactly how I feel about my new phone. I love how it looks (very pretty graphics and all), and I want to love it in terms of usefulness, but so far, I just don't.

Ame, thanks for the suggestion. I actually thought the buttons on the iPhone's touch screen were kind of tiny and hard to type on. I'm not used to touch screens at all, and one thing I do like about my new phone is that there's a slide out keypad I could use if I want to. I guess I think that as a mini computer, the Stratosphere is cool, as a phone, it's hard to get used to. Again, I'm used to feeling my way around my old texting phone when making calls (I just pressed the OK button to unlock the phone, then the up button for my ICE contacts, then the first button for my husband, etc.). I'm finding that I really do need both hands when trying to make a call with this phone, and it's impossible to do while driving. Hmmm, maybe that's the point? :cheeky:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1323112027|3074671 said:
Do you mean give up my iPhone for another phone? But then... no, I'm sorry, I don't understand the question :cheeky:

Hahaha ditto! :cheeky:

Zoe-if I were in your shoes I would just use the new phone for the whole 2 weeks and see if you get used to it. If you still don't like it after 2 weeks, bring it back!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anita, I'm glad you your smartphone. I'm sure there are things I'm missing out on, but some of them aren't important to me to have in a phone.

Manderz, I hate how expensive cable/internet packages are, and when you add on the cost of a cell phone and the data plan, yeah, it does add up!

Porridge, :bigsmile: My husband didn't understand the question either!

Arkteia, my husband has a Droid X and I can't figure it out. He has no problem with it, except for the battery life. If I had a nickel for every time he told me that he had to charge his phone, I'd be very rich.

Enerchi, I don't need a phone for work, and other than the occasional browsing like MC mentioned, I don't feel like I need internet access on my phone. When my husband's with me, we can use his phone to look something up if I decide to return mine. He uses his all the time. He's downloaded all sorts of apps and he swears by them.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1323112027|3074671 said:

+1

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO WAY! I can't imagine getting rid of my IPhone and not having my email accounts, internet, tweets, facebook, PS all at my fingertips at every moment of the day! lol

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an HTC Wildfire. I didn't think I'd like a smartphone but it was less expensive than my huge old phone on pay-as-you. I love it to bits now! It's easy to use and getting emails anywhere - I don't work in an office in a 9 to 5 and have family abroad - makes it so easy for me to keep up with everything.

What do you mostly use your phone for? Are you a big internet and email user?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think it definitely depends upon which one you get. i've had ones that i hated and avoided using because they weren't intuitive *for me* and/or easy to use (just like you say, too many steps to do a simple task). i hated my DH's blackberry but he loves it; i now have an iphone and i LOVE it, my DH hates it. so i think it is a personal thing and you just have to get the right one *for you*. oh, and i have learned from experience that if i don't 'get' the phone from the start, i never do. it has to feel right from the get-go or it's a no-go.

p.s. this is coming from a fairly tech-adverse person who does not care to be on her phone. :))

p.p.s. i also considered the HTC incredible 2, that one seemed intuitive to me. it might be worth checking out!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I have the iphone 3GS and love it, it took a few days to get used to the touch screen but now it's great and I'll get the 4 or 5 if it's out when I sign my next contract.
My SO just got rid of his Blackberry and got the newest iphone 4, he loves it and wishes he's dumped the Blackberry a long time ago, he finds the iphone much more user friendly.
Even simple things like checking the weather quickly, as it can drop 20 degrees in a few hours here, or checking up to date road closures whilst we are heading to the mountains, or train service disruptions, it just makes my life so much easier.
I vowed to never get a smartphone because I just really used a phone for calls and texts, but I'm so glad I did switch, I couldn't imagine myself switching back.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a typical consumer, so - no way.

I've had a smarthphone for several years now, first I had a Blackberry, then it died and I was forced to use a dumb phone until I saved up for an iPhone and now I have an iPhone 4. I love it. I use it to stay in touch with my fiance (he lives cca 6000 miles away), play games and even - work! I work (part time) as a community manager so having a smartphone means I can be away from my computer but still be able to work.

Gotta love that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results