shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Cert''s and Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Newbie1221

Rough_Rock
I am considering two diamonds. They are both EGL Certified. I have seen the cert''s and in the comment section one is a Tolkowsky Ideal and the other is Excellent Ideal cut. My question is how accurate are these determinations. I''m in the process of getting the pavillion and crown angles instead of %''s but is it possible that once I do get theese numbers that the diamonds won''t perform as well in the HCA???

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
EGL definitions of Excellent Ideal and Tolkowski Ideal have changed in the last few years and I think they vary depending on which EGL lab issued the report. Here is at fairly recent version of the EGL-USA parameters but they aren''t currently using either of those terms at that particular lab. I don''t have the parameters from the other EGL labs (but I would love to see them if someone else has them)

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

EGL_cutGrade_table.gif

Newbie1221

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the Table. I''ll post the stat''s for the two diamonds below. They seem to fall in the spec''s of the table. Except I only have crown and pavillion %''s right now I''m waiting on a Sarin report. I guess my basic question is can I trust what the cert''s say as far as Tolkowsky Ideal and Excellent Ideal cut''s. Lot''s of people have implied that even though the cert''s say IDEAL they actual may not have Ideal light return. Is this true? An opinion on which stone is better woyuld be great also!!!

1.22 D SI2(eye clean) $4736.00
6.90-6.83-4.22
depth-61.5
Table-57
Crown% 16
Pavillion% 43
Polish-vg Symmetry-vg culet-n gridle-thin fluorescence- faint blue

1.31 E SI2(inclusion is very difficult to see/ good eyes and right lighting) $4465.00
6.99-6.96-4.35
Depth-62.4
Table-56
Crown%-15
Pavillion%-44
Polish-ex Symmetry-ex culet-n girdle-Med Fluorescence-very slight blue

Newbie1221

Rough_Rock
Is there a difference between EGLUSA and EGL? I believe eithier one or both of the diamonds came from Israel, but now reside in California.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results